Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help for more structured training/diet in 2010

    I started road riding in July of this year and my training approach has been to ride whenever I can and rest when I'm really sore. I have not really changed my poor diet except I usually have a glass of choc. milk after my rides (I've heard this is a good recovery drink and I like it). Also, I'm not really 'training' for any event, just want to get better on the bike.

    I've made good progress with my unstructured approach, dropping about 30 pounds (210 down to 180) and I've gotten a lot stronger/faster on the bike. I've riden about 3000 miles since July and do a lot of climbing now.

    However, my improvement has slowed the last couple months (as expected) and I'd like to get more serious about my cycling in 2010. My goal is to get strong enough in 2010 to ride with some of the groups that I see blowing by me on the weekends. I'd also like to get down to about 172-175 lbs.

    My wife (she's awesome) got me new computer for x-mas and let me buy a Powertap wheel (should be in next week). I've used a powertap before and I think it will be helpful to train smarter and track my progress.

    I'm 41 years old and live in TX, so can pretty much ride year around. I can usually do 1-2 long rides on the weekends and 2-3 shorter rides during the week.

    Sorry for the long background, but what I'm really looking for are some structured training programs that fit my background and goals. Can anyone point me to a good book or web site that would help me put together a training program? I also need some guidance on nutrition (not really for weight loss at this point, but to help my performance and recovery).

  2. #2
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple books:

    Joe Friel's training bible.
    Coggan and Allen's Training and Racing with a power meter. That's mandatory if you have a PM. You will also need software- either WKO+ or GoldenCheetah open source (new release coming soon, it'll be much closer to WKO+ in functionality).

    Ask around at the LBS about group rides and try the ones they recommend. Go for it now, don't wait. You'll probably get dropped no matter how ready you think you are. Don't worry, it happens to everyone.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    A couple books:

    Joe Friel's training bible.
    Coggan and Allen's Training and Racing with a power meter. That's mandatory if you have a PM. You will also need software- either WKO+ or GoldenCheetah open source (new release coming soon, it'll be much closer to WKO+ in functionality).

    Ask around at the LBS about group rides and try the ones they recommend. Go for it now, don't wait. You'll probably get dropped no matter how ready you think you are. Don't worry, it happens to everyone.
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out those books. I tried playing with the GoldenCheetah software, but it keep crashing (I think I might be trying to dump too much data into it).

  4. #4
    Senior Member droobieinop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orange Park, Florida
    My Bikes
    jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000
    Posts
    847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking about posting a simular question about a training plan/site/software/tracking type info.

    I'm 40 and have lost 30-40 lbs this year (down to a steady 170) while logging 7k miles this (mostly since may) and I rode a couple of centuries also. I don't own a car, work at a lbs and ride nearly every day, atleast 12 miles on my commute. I've never been into keeping a log or worrying about a training schedule, until now, and I'm also looking for thoughts and recomendations.

    So let me just say that I don't want to hijack this thread, however, if there is another person out there with questions like mine there are others, so let's share.

    A little more detailed and brief background on what I've done this past year.

    I've made a career change that allows me access to nice stuff and time to ride it. My concentration has been on keeping up on the group rides with the cat 4+ racers and I've increased my average speed to 20+ mph at an 80-100 rpm cadence, which has been recorded with my cateye V2c computer.

    I've been attempting to input this info into a spreadsheet to track my progress and create a training plan, however I don't understand how to use the info I've input (ie. tracking with graphs etc.). Of course, the powertaps have come up time and again, but they are $o ex$pen$ive, and so are the garmins. At the same time, a 705 can be had for less than a PT hub and would allow the connection of place with data (and it's also ANT+ compatible).

    So, I guess that I would like to add to this thread the thought that some of us can't afford some of the nicer tools out there and we'd like to know what has worked for others before they had those extra bells and whistles?
    "change is the only constant"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    You will also need software- either WKO+ or GoldenCheetah open source (new release coming soon, it'll be much closer to WKO+ in functionality).
    SportTracks GPS-enabled exercise logbook software is worth consideration as well. It works directly with many cycling computers. Additional plugins extend its functionality. It is supported by a significant user base. And it is free to download and use, without restriction or nagging, though donations are accepted.

  6. #6
    Don't Believe the Hype RiPHRaPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
    Posts
    2,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enough words to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Joe Friel's book. If you want something a bit more detailed (although less cycling specific) to read you can also pick up Periodization by Tudor Bompa. Much of Joe's book is derived from it.

    What are your goals and I might be able to reccomend a book since I own pretty much every cycling book sold by Amazon.

    I find that there's nothing to motivate me to train for group rides like doing a group ride. I once got dropped 0.2 miles into a ride. Groups A-C my ...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Deep in the Shawnee Forest
    My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and best wishes for your continuing success in 2010. I can tell from your post that you are set to make 2010 one of the best years of your life.

    As you mentioned, you may have to remember patience during your training. All the "easy" improvement have been coming with your weight loss and the exhilaration of being able to move so much more easily.

    Soon, you will have to discover the concept of "focus" and start setting specific targets on some of your rides.

    Plans are good, but for some one who is still in the process of weight loss - I advise "big picture" riding style.

    For you, this means - remembering that every workout can't be a back breaker. You should use a "hard/easy" day approach. If you want to continue to improve, you should measure or "log" all your training - and increase your "all out" efforts in increments.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishermba2004 View Post
    Another vote for Joe Friel's book. If you want something a bit more detailed (although less cycling specific) to read you can also pick up Periodization by Tudor Bompa. Much of Joe's book is derived from it.

    What are your goals and I might be able to reccomend a book since I own pretty much every cycling book sold by Amazon.

    I find that there's nothing to motivate me to train for group rides like doing a group ride. I once got dropped 0.2 miles into a ride. Groups A-C my ...
    My primary goal for 2010 is to pick up my speed to be able to hang better on group rides. I've done a few small group rides (3-5 people) and did my first big group ride on Jan 1 with a huge group (over 50 riders). In general, I can hang OK until the road turns up. I can do hilly 50+ mile solo rides at 17-18 mph average, but I struggle to keep up in a group if I climb at my solo pace. My first ride with a power meter, I averaged 243 watts for about 1.5 hours (which was better than I expected), but I don't have much endurance once my power output goes much beyond that level (which I need to get my butt up the hills). I've got the 'training with power' book on its way and I'll probably pick up the training bible one also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
    Good luck and best wishes for your continuing success in 2010. I can tell from your post that you are set to make 2010 one of the best years of your life.

    As you mentioned, you may have to remember patience during your training. All the "easy" improvement have been coming with your weight loss and the exhilaration of being able to move so much more easily.

    Soon, you will have to discover the concept of "focus" and start setting specific targets on some of your rides.

    Plans are good, but for some one who is still in the process of weight loss - I advise "big picture" riding style.

    For you, this means - remembering that every workout can't be a back breaker. You should use a "hard/easy" day approach. If you want to continue to improve, you should measure or "log" all your training - and increase your "all out" efforts in increments.
    Thanks for the guidance. I hadn't really been focused on the weight loss/diet side of the equation too much, It's really been a nice byproduct of trying to ride hard and just putting in the miles. I'm hoping that an improved diet in 2010 will help my performance on the bike and the last 5-7 pounds will take care of itself over time. I'm definitely giving more thought to hard days vs. easy/rest days. It's actually a little easier to take a day off right now since the weather hasn't been great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •