Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Its Freakin HammerTime!!! C_Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Off the back @ 188 BPM's
    My Bikes
    2008 Felt F3 :)
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help, Im bonking !!!

    I just started being "healthy" and I will be doing 15-20 miles 3-4 days per week to lose weight. Im 31 years old, 5'10" 215-220 pounds and Am in the out of Shape category. Ive quit the Soft drinks and starting to eat at better places instead of the Extra Value meal #3 at McD's Even though its good lol. I dont eat it anymore. Also, drinking a ton of Aquafina everyday.



    Sometimes I feel like Im going to bonk after a mile.



    What do I need to do to freaking get some energy, sometimes the thought of getting on the bike or working out makes me tired lol. What should I fuel up with on the ride?



    Im not FAT but I need to shed about 30-35 pounds.



    Thanks in Advance

  2. #2
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't be bonking after one mile unless you have been starving yourself. Bonking is when you run out of glycogen and your muscles can only burn fat for energy. You likely have at least a couple hours of glycogen at moderate exertion levels.

    If you are out of shape, you may not have the muscle tone and/or the aerobic capacity to cycle more than a mile or two yet. Assuming that you do not have a medical condition like a heart problem (unlikely, though not unheard of at age 31) you should take it slow at first and not overdo it. You fitness should quickly improve. If it doesn't, then you may need to talk to you doctor about it.

    General disclaimer: If you are starting an exercise program, you should consult with your doctor first to ensure your program is safe for you.

    Good decision to improve your diet and get exercise. If you stick with it, you'll find it improves almost every aspect of your life.

  3. #3
    Elitist Jackass Smoothie104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera
    Posts
    3,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to lose fat and build up at the gym at the same time, I was so calorie deficient, I actually had to take a knee while trying to put weights on the bar, LOL Ill never do that again.

    It's ok to cut back on your caloric intake, but make sure you are eating enough before your ride to get through it! It's ok, and a great idea to go to bed hungry, but don't get all kitted up to ride on an empty stomach.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Oz
    My Bikes
    how long have you got?
    Posts
    2,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g'day,

    LOL...my only comment to this thread title is......."can i have the video distribution rights"?

  5. #5
    randomness inc. HDTVKSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchy, i dunno about the rest of the world, but the term bonking seems to invoke a similar response from Aussies to the Seppo use of " Root " . gotta love those holidays to cananda where every 2nd girl walks past with " roots " on her jumper.... Its enough to make a red blooded male blush!
    You don't need proof when you have instinct.
    Im on the Floyd Landis Jack Daniels training program.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Oz
    My Bikes
    how long have you got?
    Posts
    2,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVKSS
    Hitchy, i dunno about the rest of the world, but the term bonking seems to invoke a similar response from Aussies to the Seppo use of " Root " . gotta love those holidays to cananda where every 2nd girl walks past with " roots " on her jumper.... Its enough to make a red blooded male blush!


    lol.....I know...its a pity we're so obsessed with sex....but hey.......besides bikes it's my favorite bad habit!,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  7. #7
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,887
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I have never heard of someone "bonking" (or running out of energy) after one mile of biking. Wow!

    Do you walk? How far can you walk before getting tired? If you can walk even 1/2 mile or more, biking one mile should be like falling off of a log.

    If you are just terribly, terribly out of shape, if walking 100 feet wears you out, then you need to gently increase your exercise each day to increase what appears to be an amazing lack of endurance.

    However, you might also want to consider seeing a MD, as what you are describing ("bonking" or running out of energy after a mile of biking) - and being just 31 years old - is really most unusual.

    Seriously, what you are describing is not in the range of normal.

    Get yourself checked out.

    Good luck. Hope things get easier.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-12-04 at 06:24 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

  8. #8
    Disgruntled Planner bpohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Downtown Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Hybrid-Trek 7500 FX, Road- Trek 2300
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started riding, I thought I was "bonking" after riding around the block (literally- I could not do 2 laps around the block). I was also 340 pounds, and I was as physically fit as a slug. Now that I have actually bonked, I know that what I was experiencing was just my body's reaction to being horribly out of shape and being asked to do something it really didn't want to do.

    Give it some time. Progress is incremental. Keep a training log in Excel and track how far you ride each day. After your first century, it will be fun to look at all of those one and two mile rides you were doing when you first sarted.

    Good luck, and have fun riding!
    Don't waste your breath to save your face when you have done your best.

  9. #9
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a min. If bonking is running out of glycogen and turning to burning fat what is the best way to bonk more quickly? Right now all of my cardio is focused on loosing weight...fasted cardio and extended rides

    Common wisdom (that I have read) is that you burn off the carbs and glycogen in your blood stream in the first 20-30 min in your target heart rate zone (65%-85% of your Max HR) and after that you are burning stored fat.

    Is this wrong? After I loose this weight (220 shooting for 180) I will then focus on max performance but for now I will give up speed or performance to loose the fat.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sunny, south Wales
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works E5, with Campy
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    Wait a min. If bonking is running out of glycogen and turning to burning fat what is the best way to bonk more quickly? Right now all of my cardio is focused on loosing weight...fasted cardio and extended rides

    Common wisdom (that I have read) is that you burn off the carbs and glycogen in your blood stream in the first 20-30 min in your target heart rate zone (65%-85% of your Max HR) and after that you are burning stored fat.

    Is this wrong? After I loose this weight (220 shooting for 180) I will then focus on max performance but for now I will give up speed or performance to loose the fat.
    although when you 'bonk' you have depleted your glycogen stores, and are burning mainly fat, your rate of energy expenditure decreases because you are forced to slow down and burn less energy. to loose weight it doesn't matter what fuels you're burning, just so long as at the end of the day you have burnt more than you have taken on.

    to increase your energy expenditure, you should train as *intensely* as possible at a rate that allows you to do the most training in the time you have available

    ric
    www.cyclecoach.com

  11. #11
    Its Freakin HammerTime!!! C_Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Off the back @ 188 BPM's
    My Bikes
    2008 Felt F3 :)
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OKOK maybe I didnt completely bonk out. But I was out of energy and moreso breath, and it was more like 2 miles. I've totally bonked after a big mountain bike ride about a year ago and it was so bad, even after I climbed off the bike, sat for 10 minutes, I could not get my legs to work and I had to push the bike back. Its simply out of shape and out of breath. I just need to keep riding everyday and it will get better Im sure. Thanks for all the replies.

  12. #12
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Stern
    although when you 'bonk' you have depleted your glycogen stores, and are burning mainly fat, your rate of energy expenditure decreases because you are forced to slow down and burn less energy. to loose weight it doesn't matter what fuels you're burning, just so long as at the end of the day you have burnt more than you have taken on.

    to increase your energy expenditure, you should train as *intensely* as possible at a rate that allows you to do the most training in the time you have available

    ric
    Ric,
    This is not at all what I have read. Well not totally it is one of 2 ways really. HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training for short periods is great for boosting your metabolism and thus loosing weight but lower intensity (the 65%-85% of MHR) for longer periods is also very effective. Any time in zone past 20-30 min is golden and you are burning the fat. My MHR is 190 and my target zone is 124-162 BMP which is fairly easy on a bike as long as I am not decending. I do plan on doing some HIIT, especially over the winter, as my cycling muscles build. Purely training for long periods at high intensity levels can actually hurt your strength as you body stops burning fat starts using the nutrients that are required for muscle growth and recovery. Diet becomes very improtant when doing higher intensity training and honestly I can't focus enough on it to do it right. I am clearly taking in less calories than I am expending thus my weight loss.
    John

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sunny, south Wales
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works E5, with Campy
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    Ric,
    This is not at all what I have read. Well not totally it is one of 2 ways really. HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training for short periods is great for boosting your metabolism and thus loosing weight but lower intensity (the 65%-85% of MHR) for longer periods is also very effective. Any time in zone past 20-30 min is golden and you are burning the fat. My MHR is 190 and my target zone is 124-162 BMP which is fairly easy on a bike as long as I am not decending. I do plan on doing some HIIT, especially over the winter, as my cycling muscles build. Purely training for long periods at high intensity levels can actually hurt your strength as you body stops burning fat starts using the nutrients that are required for muscle growth and recovery. Diet becomes very improtant when doing higher intensity training and honestly I can't focus enough on it to do it right. I am clearly taking in less calories than I am expending thus my weight loss.
    John
    weight loss just depends on expending more than you take in. the more unfit you are (in terms of VO2max and LT) the carbohydrates you expend at a given workrate. As you increase your fitness at a given workrate you oxidise more fat. with short sessions, a good proportion of energy expended is via carbohydrate metabolism.

    expending more energy by riding harder does not necessarily mean doing intervals. it may mean just riding as hard and as continuously as you can.

    it doesn't matter from a weight loss perspective what you eat to loose weight so long as you eat less than you expend. you could eat plates of fat or sugar and as long as you eat less than you expend you'll loose weight. obviously, such a restrictive diet would be bad for your health in general, and specifically e.g., your coronary health.

    as long as you can keep training in the time that you have available, then you should generally train as hard as possible for that time rather than easier.

    ric
    www.cyclecoach.com

  14. #14
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Stern
    weight loss just depends on expending more than you take in. the more unfit you are (in terms of VO2max and LT) the carbohydrates you expend at a given workrate. As you increase your fitness at a given workrate you oxidise more fat. with short sessions, a good proportion of energy expended is via carbohydrate metabolism.

    expending more energy by riding harder does not necessarily mean doing intervals. it may mean just riding as hard and as continuously as you can.

    it doesn't matter from a weight loss perspective what you eat to loose weight so long as you eat less than you expend. you could eat plates of fat or sugar and as long as you eat less than you expend you'll loose weight. obviously, such a restrictive diet would be bad for your health in general, and specifically e.g., your coronary health.

    as long as you can keep training in the time that you have available, then you should generally train as hard as possible for that time rather than easier.

    ric
    Ric,

    Thanks for the comments. I will try it...time to go harder. I am all for loosing as much weight as fast as possible.

    John

  15. #15
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotten a lot of good information here. I'm about your height5 years older, and about 15 lbs. lighter, although I wouldn't call myself horribly out of shape as I'm about a 44 chest without anything to lose on that part of my body. It's just that I kept feeding my six pack and it turned into a keg.

    Started riding seriously about a month ago. The goal being to get in better shape. That's kind of a vague goal, so we set the goal to ride a metric century mid-September. The first few days we were doing a short ride, about 3.5 miles, although it includes a couple of hills. It hurt. After about 10 days of doing this, we needed something longer. Fast forward a couple weeks, and we're looking for a longer route. Did a 30 mile flat ride on a Saturday. 10 days later we did a 36 mile ride that included some significantly steep climbs. We granny geared them, but we made it.

    My experience is short here, but I offer a couple pieces of advice.
    First, set a specific goal that isn't related to losing weight. Find a charity ride in your area that you can participate in like we did, or check out a local circuit ride of some distance that seems to be out of reach at the moment.
    Ride as often as possible and track your miles rather than weight loss. Computers aren't that expensive and they give you something to refer to. Track miles per ride, and total for a week.
    After the first week or two, depending on how often you can ride, don't ride so hard or so far that you won't want to make the next ride you have scheduled. For the first couple weeks I had to push myself out the door. Now I have to restrain myself. And I've lost about 5 lbs.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely keep a ride log. I started tracking my mileage, avg speed, 7 day running total, route, conditions, WHAT I EAT, and weight.

    Two things became apparent. First, when my 7 day running total miles exceeded 100 I would lose weight, and it stayed off. There was a 2-3 day lag between miles and weight. Riding 100 miles in a week is hard for me to do timewise, otherwise I'd push for 150. Getting results with the weight has given me great ammunition for being away from home though. My wife doesn't complain about it. When I go lower than 100, I don't lose weight, but I'm not putting it back on either.

    Second, when you track what you are eating, you will watch what you are eating as well. There is nothing like that Big Mac staring you in the face 3 weeks later. I'm not counting calories or carbs or anything, just writing it down. You'll start thinking in terms of what should I eat to make me bike better. Beer and ice cream don't make you bike better

    You will see mileage increase, and then avg speed. You will see how a shorter ride can actually have impact on overall fitness. You will see how increased intensity, recorded in avg speed on a standard route, can be addicting. You will just want to push yourself even harder. The one thing you don't want to do though is get caught up in staying with the pack. Keep to your own goals.

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C_heath
    What do I need to do to freaking get some energy, sometimes the thought of getting on the bike or working out makes me tired lol. What should I fuel up with on the ride?

    Im not FAT but I need to shed about 30-35 pounds.

    Thanks in Advance
    You should try using this product that I swear by and I have used since last year. I've researched it quite a bit and found it's very popular in Japan. It's called vaam and i found it www.vaam-energy.com. it's been really good. (doesn't taste great, but you can mix it with gatorade or some other drink you want.) but it's been awesome for training purposes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •