Hi all, I am a newbie having only been riding some 5 weeks now. I am participating in a 50 mile charity event this Sun. ( the 26th) which will mark my longest ride to date. The longest I have ridden until now is 32 miles. The terrain for the ride will have a couple of undulating hills but nothing rediculous ( so they tell me). I will be riding with 4 other riders , 3 of whom are very experienced.
I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you can help me with.
1) How much should I be riding up until the event? Should I take off saturday completely and just rest?. I have been riding a stationary bike this week at strenuous levels but for shorter periods of time.
2) What kind of pre-ride nutrion woudl you suggest. I have found a power bar and 12 oz of a gatorade 2/3 and OJ 1/3 combo very good with a banana chaser to ward off cramps but this willbe a much longer ride. (There will be rest stops built into the ride with nourishment provided)
3) Since the other riders are stonger and more experienced should I just "draft " them the whole time if possible.
2) Don't do anything different before the ride. Eat moderate amounts during the rest stops. Keep hydrating throughout the ride, even if you don't feel thirsty.
3) Drafting is good, but don't struggle to keep up with the stronger riders if they are not interested in moderating their pace. You have to find your own sustainable speed. Your goal is simply to finish.
If you have gone 32 miles, 50 miles should be very doable. Have fun.