Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winter Garden, FL
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nighttime shake recommendation

    i've been riding consistently every morning for the last 2-3 weeks. I eat a little snack at night (usually string cheese, a bit of peanut butter and fruit) before bed but I think i need to eat more. I keep waking up hungry in the middle of the night (at 3am).

    By the time I eat and fall back asleep, I lose about an hour of sleep which really throws a wrench for the ride I have planned (not to mention the rest of my day).

    I want to get some kind of caesin based protein shake without all the carbs. Basically, I'm looking for a simple slow release protein.

    I was thinking of going the peanut butter and a glass of milk route. I know there's a lot of fat, but the calorie count is still low and it will see me a few hours.

  2. #2
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,028
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a peanut butter sandwhich and a glass of milk before bed every night. Works great for me to hold me over til some oatmeal in the morning.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  3. #3
    Senior Member corbett1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Barnegat, NJ
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji roubaix
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try optimum nutritions caesin protein, it has 24 grams of protein and 3 grams of carbs. i mix mine with whole milk to get some fat, extra calories and carbs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat enough throughout the day. A couple hours before bed I eat a bowl of oatmeal or cereal.

  5. #5
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    7,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Hammer folks say drink 15g-25g of whey protein dissolved in plain water on an empty stomach before bed. I like it. So if I haven't eaten for 2 hours before bed, I do that. If I eat late, I don't. If I wake in the night hungry, I roll over and go back to sleep. Important to not do carbs with the protein.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winter Garden, FL
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    I have a peanut butter sandwhich and a glass of milk before bed every night. Works great for me to hold me over til some oatmeal in the morning.
    i'm going to do a PB& a little J tonight and see how it goes. Went to bed at 9 yesterday and woke up at 4 today

  7. #7
    Insane cycling cook DwarvenChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central CA, IE Hell's Basement
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been known to make a large batch steel cut oats in the AM and save the rest for late night snack after my midnight ride.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York metro area
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are hungry you should eat something with more fiber. That will provide longer lasting satisfaction.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Smallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    The Hammer folks say drink 15g-25g of whey protein dissolved in plain water on an empty stomach before bed. I like it. So if I haven't eaten for 2 hours before bed, I do that. If I eat late, I don't. If I wake in the night hungry, I roll over and go back to sleep. Important to not do carbs with the protein.
    interesting info

    back in my serious weight lifting days of power lifting and bodybuilding everyone would recommend slower digesting proteins or mixing proteins like whet,caesine and egg with some flax oil to slow down the processing since whey is processed very fast it is ideal post workout but not so much to give your body something to "work on" for several hours

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Winter Garden, FL
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The past few days I've been doing PB&J. So far so good, one slice of wheat bread with PB and a little J for the taste along with some milk.

    I'm going to keep an eye and see if my weight keeps dropping. If it plateaus then i'll adjust, if not, good to go

    I slept in till 5:29 this morning. It was glorious and I beat my alarm by a minute which made my wife happy

  11. #11
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    7,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallguy View Post
    interesting info

    back in my serious weight lifting days of power lifting and bodybuilding everyone would recommend slower digesting proteins or mixing proteins like whet,caesine and egg with some flax oil to slow down the processing since whey is processed very fast it is ideal post workout but not so much to give your body something to "work on" for several hours
    That's not the idea. It's a cheap, nutritional secretogogue for HGH. That's the theory, anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •