Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Manboobs on cyclists

    Okay i just turned 14 my height is 5.4 and my weight is 116.
    I ride an average of 150 miles a week 2 rest days 5 30miles day mostly flats.
    i concentrate on sprinting and endurance.
    i eat well usually have a 200cal deflect a day just to stay in shape
    what am i doing wrong i still have manboobs.
    please help.
    what should i do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is fairly common for your age group and is called gynecomastia. If you want to be sure go to your doctor and ask him or her if you have it. In a majority of cases it disappears with time.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    re

    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    It is fairly common for your age group and is called gynecomastia. If you want to be sure go to your doctor and ask him or her if you have it. In a majority of cases it disappears with time.
    thx,
    i have heard of that medical term gynecomastia and it seems to be associated to puberty but i long passed puberty. I passed through it when i was 11 or so when i weighted 140-150. i had pimples and everything and though manboobs where suppose to be there because of my weight but now after 3 years i have no pimples and my mustache is growing and my voiced dropped and i still have man boobs. I'm just worried because its been there for so long they have shrunk as i have lost weight but i want them gone please help. by the way they are like 1 inch popping from my chest.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JimF22003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have gynecomastia well past puberty. Sometimes the only solution for it is surgery (basically liposuction.) It's not mega expensive, but it's not free. I'm not sure if it would be covered by insurance. Most likely not. The contents can be more fibrous material than fat, which means that it doesn't help to lose a lot of weight.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

  5. #5
    Member Photocyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might be "past" puberty by your definition, but you're not even close to having your adult body yet.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it way past puberty.

  7. #7
    Space for rent
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfornowkkk View Post
    thx,
    i have heard of that medical term gynecomastia and it seems to be associated to puberty but i long passed puberty. I passed through it when i was 11 or so when i weighted 140-150. i had pimples and everything and though manboobs where suppose to be there because of my weight but now after 3 years i have no pimples and my mustache is growing and my voiced dropped and i still have man boobs. I'm just worried because its been there for so long they have shrunk as i have lost weight but i want them gone please help. by the way they are like 1 inch popping from my chest.
    You are still smack dab in the middle of puberty. Lots of changes still taking place. That said, you can always try to give them a little definition by doing chest exercises. Not a lot of fun, not quick, but effective over time.

  8. #8
    worldtraveller worldtraveller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give it time, give it time.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR/Shimano 105
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this when I was your age. It went away within a year.
    I just like riding. Check out my Bike Training Blog.

  10. #10
    Member Jaguarundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    1988 Schwinn Prelude, FrankenMTB
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could still be an "artifact" from your weight loss. Like the others said, wait it out. Unless you're wearing skintight shirts, I bet other people won't even notice. Or they may just look like pecs. Anyway, lots of people have them and they're not that bad. I don't think they're gross or weird.

  11. #11
    rollin' like a big shot twenty-fourer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    My Bikes
    '92 Huffy Resurrected Awesome.
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfornowkkk View Post
    Okay i just turned 14 my height is 5.4 and my weight is 116.
    I ride an average of 150 miles a week 2 rest days 5 30miles day mostly flats.
    i concentrate on sprinting and endurance.
    i eat well usually have a 200cal deflect a day just to stay in shape
    what am i doing wrong i still have manboobs.
    please help.
    what should i do?
    You're obviously fit. Don't worry about it.
    In the end, physical fitness and your health is all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyclops View Post
    If somebody disses your bike, just tell them that they're more than welcome to buy you a more expensive one any time they'd like.
    I'm a terrible bear, apparently.

    My Twitter, I guess.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude you're 14 and weigh 116 and you're speaking about calorie deficits and endurance sprints?!?!?! When I was 14 I was eating junk food, chasing girls around, engaging in heterosexual FAP competitions with friends, egging neighbor's houses, stealing **** and making any female that was dumb enough to please me sexually cry on a daily basis.

    Get out and enjoy life and stop worry about your "man boobs".

  13. #13
    Senior Member iheartbenben's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tehas
    My Bikes
    Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manboobs eh? I had em, and now I have a naturally muscle dense upper torso, like my father. In my early teens, yeah I was seriously worried. Start benching, and those 'boobs' will become 'pecs'.

    Congrats for being young and active.
    Challenge Accepted
    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...4iuqo1_250.jpg
    I'm gonna hug you until it's illegal, or you pee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •