Need doctor. No money.
Perhaps there will be someone on this forum that could direct me a bit. When I get money next month, I need to see someone about these problems! 80% of my "problems" are only noticeable on the bike, so I post here.
Noticeable off the bike:
1. Right shoulder (inbetween edge of shoulder and neck) bothers me many times and feels "out of place" just slightly. In a mirror or in images of me, sometimes I can see my shirt (collar) is slightly skewed toward that shoulder. If that makes sense.
On the bike:
1. If I am clipped in to pedals, my right foot is very uncomfortable and feels restricted, starts hurting after 10 miles. When using toe clips, I am completely fine.
2. My right knee when I ride seems to point outwards away from the bike.
3. Possible saddle problem? Left cheek hurts after 10 miles!
4. Palm of my left hand goes numb after 4-5 miles of riding.
ANY idea on help? Who could I see for something like this? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by ForlornEnemy; 07-11-11 at 07:37 PM.
Here are some idea to look at.
1 and 2 and 3 are probably related to each other, you sound as if there is a hip injury previous or a muscle imbalance of the hip joint stabilizing muscles. Do you get lower-back pain also? Stand on one foot a lot? Problem 3 is likely triggered by sitting heavily on the left to favour your weak right.
4. You're probably impinging the median and possibly ulnar nerve in the left hand. Try wrapping a towel around the grip and keeping the wrist straight.
You'll need to see the GP about getting an x-ray possibly for your "off the bike" problem... i'm assuming you've had some trauma to the right shoulder?
None of the above is a professional opinion either.
Last edited by electrik; 07-11-11 at 08:51 PM.
Thanks for the info! I havent had any injuries that would be obvious, but the off the bike problem I have known since 2005... I was just going to get a pro fit... but i think they are indeed related and a fit wont help much.
edit: no back pain or standing on one foot either
Ok, so maybe just some badly position cleats on the right foot, maybe you need more float. Try doing some hip abductor exercises... gluteus medius and etc... you'll have to experiment to see if there is pain or weakness on the right.
Originally Posted by ForlornEnemy
The numbness isn't on the back of your hand at all is it?
I would spend the money on a consultation with a sport physiotherapist before a fit is done(since you already have existing problems).
I would start off with a chiropractor for the shoulder since its cheaper than a doctor. I was lucky enough to find a good one for 35 bucks a visit. and once I noticed how he tweaked my back, I figured out how to do it myself, but that's me.
A proper fit for 150-300 dollars should get your on the bike problems erased, make sure they do shoes and cleats. look up fits on youtube, so you know what to look for. Or you can spend hours and days researching and trying to tweak it yourself, thats what I did! its part of the fun.
do the chiropractor thing first becuase if your spin/bones are messed up that could possibly throw the fit off.
Last edited by Nick Bain; 07-12-11 at 11:03 PM.