Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    2,053
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is there progression

    I've seen this chart in a number of places

    http://epictrain.files.wordpress.com...ofilechart.jpg

    Does it represent progression or innate ability?

    How far up the scale can an average person get with a couple of years of training? Is cat 3 reachable for everyone? Is cat 1?

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,893
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends.

  3. #3
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,962
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I've seen this chart in a number of places

    http://epictrain.files.wordpress.com...ofilechart.jpg

    Does it represent progression or innate ability?

    How far up the scale can an average person get with a couple of years of training? Is cat 3 reachable for everyone? Is cat 1?
    First of all, it's an approximation. The riders with the highest w/kg don't always win, but of course those with the lowest are at a massive disadvantage.

    Like everything else, it is a combination of genetic potential, training and aptitude. Some people simply don't respond physiologically to training at all, so I'd say that while most might be able to make it to Cat3 levels of fitness/power, it wouldn't be possible for everyone. Getting to Cat 1 takes both talent and application - not that I'd know...

  4. #4
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post

    Does it represent progression or innate ability?
    Both.

    The chart is meant for comparing one's power over different time periods. It won't tell you if you have "cat 3" or whatever power. I know a lot of 4s here in NorCal with "cat 2" FTP on that chart.

    The power it takes to reach the different categories varies, and of course it's not just power that makes one a successful racer.

    The riders who reach cat 2 without too much effort will tell you that anyone can do it if they train, but that's not true. Anyone can do it if they train and have some innate ability.

  5. #5
    Faster than yesterday
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Some people simply don't respond physiologically to training at all
    Despite what you may have heard, this is true. yes, on average subjects gain a certain percentage on whatever attribute, but there is considerable spread among the subjects around that mean (high standard deviation).

    That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get better, and you never know until you've tried. There's a lot more to sport than just physical attributes.

  6. #6
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    6,962
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tadawdy View Post
    Despite what you may have heard, this is true. yes, on average subjects gain a certain percentage on whatever attribute, but there is considerable spread among the subjects around that mean (high standard deviation).

    That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get better, and you never know until you've tried. There's a lot more to sport than just physical attributes.
    Sorry, I don't know what point you are trying to make here. Obviously I know it's true, or I wouldn't have said it. "Despite what [I] may have heard? What?

    As for being able to get better, obviously one can improve one's cycling skills. But if one's aerobic system doesn't respond to training one is going to struggle at bike racing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chart is descriptive, it represents Allen and Coggan's assignment of power/weight measurements to descriptive categories, like "Cat 3" or "good."

    You can definitely change you own performance by training. Where you start on the chart and where you can end up is partially up to genetics and partially up to your training.

    As to how you can do in races? Well, e-wang size matters but how you use it matters too.
    ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •