Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-12, 08:22 PM   #1
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!
Thread Starter
 
bobthib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running shoe Advice for old legs

Need some advice for my old legs. As posted in other threads, I've signed up for my first Tri, a sprint. Not worried about the swim or bike, but I'm finding this running (more correctly jogging) is tough on the knees.

Will better running shoes make a difference. I have some nice New Balance sneakers that certainly feel comfortable and coushy. But are they enough?
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 10:25 PM   #2
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I strongly suggest you find a local running shop that does a proper gait assessment and work with them.

I can't tell you how much difference it made to me switching from "whatever shoes I picked out for myself" to ones that were matched to my foot strike style.

My knee pain went away in two weeks and hasn't been back since I switched.
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 06:09 AM   #3
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
I strongly suggest you find a local running shop that does a proper gait assessment and work with them.

I can't tell you how much difference it made to me switching from "whatever shoes I picked out for myself" to ones that were matched to my foot strike style.

My knee pain went away in two weeks and hasn't been back since I switched.
Isn't it always better to change your running form rather than to get a shoe that matches how you run, like a heal striker?
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 08:44 PM   #4
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Isn't it always better to change your running form rather than to get a shoe that matches how you run, like a heal striker?
Good advice. Great book to read, BORN TO RUN by McDougall. Very interesting story and very good information on gait and equipment.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 07:31 PM   #5
el nicho
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Michigan
Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

Here's the thing: I have the "minimalist" conversation pretty much on a daily basis. While "Born to Run" was a great book and the barefoot/minimalist argument is compelling - there is no evidence or research to back up any of the claims that McDougal made in his book.

My take: Humans were certainly born to run, and as a species we were certainly born to run barefoot, probably with a natural midfoot strike, and a midfoot strike is certainly more efficient than a heel strike. What is missing from this train of thought is concrete, asphalt, and average weight of today's **** sapien than the ones upon which this argument is based.

Ok, so arguement aside and to answer your question: The question should not be "which shoe is best" or "Are my New Balance's enough", the question should be "How does my gait affect my knees/hips/shins/body and which type of shoe is best for me?" The only way to answer that is to go to a local running store (not a Dick's Sporting Goods, not a Shoe Carnival, not MC Sports, etc) and have them analyize your gait. Based on how you run they will recommend a neutral, stability or motion control shoe according to how you run.

Proper body alignment will go a long way to prevent pain/injury as you progress your running plan. However, running is still running regardless of the shoes - you are going to always run the risk of injury and have the obligatory aches & pains that all new runners experience.

My suggestion would be to get proper shoes and run how feels natural to you. If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
el nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 07:36 PM   #6
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^^+1

A good running shoe store will let you try the shoes for a few weeks and then exchange them if they don't work out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 10:02 PM   #7
MAK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by el nicho View Post
I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

Here's the thing: I have the "minimalist" conversation pretty much on a daily basis. While "Born to Run" was a great book and the barefoot/minimalist argument is compelling - there is no evidence or research to back up any of the claims that McDougal made in his book.

My take: Humans were certainly born to run, and as a species we were certainly born to run barefoot, probably with a natural midfoot strike, and a midfoot strike is certainly more efficient than a heel strike. What is missing from this train of thought is concrete, asphalt, and average weight of today's **** sapien than the ones upon which this argument is based.

Ok, so arguement aside and to answer your question: The question should not be "which shoe is best" or "Are my New Balance's enough", the question should be "How does my gait affect my knees/hips/shins/body and which type of shoe is best for me?" The only way to answer that is to go to a local running store (not a Dick's Sporting Goods, not a Shoe Carnival, not MC Sports, etc) and have them analyize your gait. Based on how you run they will recommend a neutral, stability or motion control shoe according to how you run.

Proper body alignment will go a long way to prevent pain/injury as you progress your running plan. However, running is still running regardless of the shoes - you are going to always run the risk of injury and have the obligatory aches & pains that all new runners experience.

My suggestion would be to get proper shoes and run how feels natural to you. If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
I was agreeing with the "watch your gait advice" and didn't intend to tout barefoot or minimalist running. You can get form advice out of the book too. I was just recommending the book as a good read.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 06:38 AM   #8
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by el nicho View Post
I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
I used to be a heel striker in high school and re-trained myself to be mid striker while still in high school. At first it didn't feel natural to me, but it became easier and actually felt better.

You say its "probably going to cause more problems". But how scientific is that?
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 07:25 AM   #9
clydeosaur
Senior Member
 
clydeosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central PA
Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to a shop, get your gait looked at & buy a shoe recommended. I'm no pro, but have done some running & races the last 4 years & am doing a half next week. A good running shoe will make a ton of difference. I a big guy (6'4 215lbs) with high arches. I used to get achy feet & hips. Once I went to a shoe that met my needs & gait, my problems went away. Now, to find some way to run FASTER....
clydeosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 01:56 PM   #10
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!
Thread Starter
 
bobthib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to a local running shop and they fitted me with a pair of Brooks Ghost 5's. So far I've only got about 4 mi on them, but they are light and comfortable. They do have a 30 day return/exchange so I feel pretty good.

I've been trying to work on my gait, but while I can cycle for 100 + mi at a nice clip, running tires me quickly and raises my HR. When I start, I feel that I'm running pretty well, (6 - 7 mph) it feels smooth and light, But as soon as I tire, I start to "plod" along, heel striking. I guess it will come with time. I hope.

This past Sunday I did manage to run 3.15 mi which is the distance for the sprint Tri. I only had to slow down and walk 2x, and it was a pretty hilly course, and my Tri is dead flat. Of course, running on fresh legs as opposed to running after a 50 or 60 mi hammerfest is a LOT easier!

So as long as the old knees hold out, I think I'll be OK!
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.