Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Legs; OK! Lungs; not! bobthib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Posts
    2,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Running shoe Advice for old legs

    Need some advice for my old legs. As posted in other threads, I've signed up for my first Tri, a sprint. Not worried about the swim or bike, but I'm finding this running (more correctly jogging) is tough on the knees.

    Will better running shoes make a difference. I have some nice New Balance sneakers that certainly feel comfortable and coushy. But are they enough?
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

  2. #2
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly suggest you find a local running shop that does a proper gait assessment and work with them.

    I can't tell you how much difference it made to me switching from "whatever shoes I picked out for myself" to ones that were matched to my foot strike style.

    My knee pain went away in two weeks and hasn't been back since I switched.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    I strongly suggest you find a local running shop that does a proper gait assessment and work with them.

    I can't tell you how much difference it made to me switching from "whatever shoes I picked out for myself" to ones that were matched to my foot strike style.

    My knee pain went away in two weeks and hasn't been back since I switched.
    Isn't it always better to change your running form rather than to get a shoe that matches how you run, like a heal striker?

  4. #4
    MAK
    MAK is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Isn't it always better to change your running form rather than to get a shoe that matches how you run, like a heal striker?
    Good advice. Great book to read, BORN TO RUN by McDougall. Very interesting story and very good information on gait and equipment.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

    Here's the thing: I have the "minimalist" conversation pretty much on a daily basis. While "Born to Run" was a great book and the barefoot/minimalist argument is compelling - there is no evidence or research to back up any of the claims that McDougal made in his book.

    My take: Humans were certainly born to run, and as a species we were certainly born to run barefoot, probably with a natural midfoot strike, and a midfoot strike is certainly more efficient than a heel strike. What is missing from this train of thought is concrete, asphalt, and average weight of today's **** sapien than the ones upon which this argument is based.

    Ok, so arguement aside and to answer your question: The question should not be "which shoe is best" or "Are my New Balance's enough", the question should be "How does my gait affect my knees/hips/shins/body and which type of shoe is best for me?" The only way to answer that is to go to a local running store (not a Dick's Sporting Goods, not a Shoe Carnival, not MC Sports, etc) and have them analyize your gait. Based on how you run they will recommend a neutral, stability or motion control shoe according to how you run.

    Proper body alignment will go a long way to prevent pain/injury as you progress your running plan. However, running is still running regardless of the shoes - you are going to always run the risk of injury and have the obligatory aches & pains that all new runners experience.

    My suggestion would be to get proper shoes and run how feels natural to you. If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
    Virtus tentamine gaudet - Strength rejoices in the challenge

  6. #6
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^+1

    A good running shoe store will let you try the shoes for a few weeks and then exchange them if they don't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  7. #7
    MAK
    MAK is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el nicho View Post
    I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

    Here's the thing: I have the "minimalist" conversation pretty much on a daily basis. While "Born to Run" was a great book and the barefoot/minimalist argument is compelling - there is no evidence or research to back up any of the claims that McDougal made in his book.

    My take: Humans were certainly born to run, and as a species we were certainly born to run barefoot, probably with a natural midfoot strike, and a midfoot strike is certainly more efficient than a heel strike. What is missing from this train of thought is concrete, asphalt, and average weight of today's **** sapien than the ones upon which this argument is based.

    Ok, so arguement aside and to answer your question: The question should not be "which shoe is best" or "Are my New Balance's enough", the question should be "How does my gait affect my knees/hips/shins/body and which type of shoe is best for me?" The only way to answer that is to go to a local running store (not a Dick's Sporting Goods, not a Shoe Carnival, not MC Sports, etc) and have them analyize your gait. Based on how you run they will recommend a neutral, stability or motion control shoe according to how you run.

    Proper body alignment will go a long way to prevent pain/injury as you progress your running plan. However, running is still running regardless of the shoes - you are going to always run the risk of injury and have the obligatory aches & pains that all new runners experience.

    My suggestion would be to get proper shoes and run how feels natural to you. If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
    I was agreeing with the "watch your gait advice" and didn't intend to tout barefoot or minimalist running. You can get form advice out of the book too. I was just recommending the book as a good read.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el nicho View Post
    I disagree - not good advice. I've been a runner for 19 years, ran NCAA XC/Track, worked in run specialty stores, and now work full-time in the running industry.

    If you try to only do a mid-foot strike because that's what you read about in a book, it will probably cause you more problems than you would have if you ran however feels natural to you and developed running fitness first.
    I used to be a heel striker in high school and re-trained myself to be mid striker while still in high school. At first it didn't feel natural to me, but it became easier and actually felt better.

    You say its "probably going to cause more problems". But how scientific is that?

  9. #9
    Senior Member clydeosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a shop, get your gait looked at & buy a shoe recommended. I'm no pro, but have done some running & races the last 4 years & am doing a half next week. A good running shoe will make a ton of difference. I a big guy (6'4 215lbs) with high arches. I used to get achy feet & hips. Once I went to a shoe that met my needs & gait, my problems went away. Now, to find some way to run FASTER....

  10. #10
    Legs; OK! Lungs; not! bobthib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Posts
    2,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I went to a local running shop and they fitted me with a pair of Brooks Ghost 5's. So far I've only got about 4 mi on them, but they are light and comfortable. They do have a 30 day return/exchange so I feel pretty good.

    I've been trying to work on my gait, but while I can cycle for 100 + mi at a nice clip, running tires me quickly and raises my HR. When I start, I feel that I'm running pretty well, (6 - 7 mph) it feels smooth and light, But as soon as I tire, I start to "plod" along, heel striking. I guess it will come with time. I hope.

    This past Sunday I did manage to run 3.15 mi which is the distance for the sprint Tri. I only had to slow down and walk 2x, and it was a pretty hilly course, and my Tri is dead flat. Of course, running on fresh legs as opposed to running after a 50 or 60 mi hammerfest is a LOT easier!

    So as long as the old knees hold out, I think I'll be OK!
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •