Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Training Tire for Computrainer

    Does anybody know of a better tire to use on the computrainer. I tried the Continental Trainer tire and I think its just awful. Little yellow balls come off it and its a royal pain to get it on the rim in the first place.

    Is there a solid rubber tire option out there somewhere?
    Its weird but I blew up a Vredistein tire on the trainer yesterday. It developed a bubble and when the bubble came aorund Kablooey.

    I was also wondering if I'd have better luck with a clincher tubular from Tufo. Has anybody ever tried them for that?

    Been spending alot of time on the trainer lately so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mike

  2. #2
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use an old tire that's a little too worn to use confidently on the road. When you say your Vredstein developed a bubble, do you mean that the tube poked through a hole in the tread? Or was the tire improperly seated and the bubble near the rim?
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vittoria Zaffiro Home Trainer, and Tacx. I use the Vittoria and have not been disappointed, nothing is coming off it and seems to be handling the temperature well.
    Bikes, watts and more.
    http://www.thetallcyclist.com

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Vredistine tires. Normally indestructable. In this case (and I have no idea why). A pocket developed between the layers and burst. It did not go all the way through the tire. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcinogent View Post
    Vittoria Zaffiro Home Trainer, and Tacx. I use the Vittoria and have not been disappointed, nothing is coming off it and seems to be handling the temperature well.
    Thanks! Ill give it a try

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got a trainer, I didn't know about the tire thing. I was on it for about ten seconds before I could smell the melting rubber of my nice Michelin Pro3s. I went out and bought the cheapest 700x23 tire I could find at MEC (Continental Sport), and it's been just fine. The Michelins actually left a line of molten rubber on the wheel of the trainer, but the heavy cheap Conti has been perfect.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charbucks View Post
    When I first got a trainer, I didn't know about the tire thing. I was on it for about ten seconds before I could smell the melting rubber of my nice Michelin Pro3s. I went out and bought the cheapest 700x23 tire I could find at MEC (Continental Sport), and it's been just fine. The Michelins actually left a line of molten rubber on the wheel of the trainer, but the heavy cheap Conti has been perfect.
    I never thought about it before. I just put the bike on the trainer with my favorite road tires. Sounds like cheaper tires are better for the trainer. Thanks for the info!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your tires are showing serious wear on a trainer then you have it set up wrong. I've done thousands of km's with just a bit of polish resulting.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    True I did have some build up.

    Quote Originally Posted by benlees View Post
    If your tires are showing serious wear on a trainer then you have it set up wrong. I've done thousands of km's with just a bit of polish resulting.
    When I checked my trainer roller there was a ton of rubber build up on it. A little alcohol seemed to clean up it up pretty good. Your right it probably didn't help matters much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •