Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Noobs Training Updates

    For the newbies like me feel free to post your WinterWorkouts here. Since the pros have their own page on this thought i would start one.

  2. #2
    Member ldarlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Cervello S2, Fuji CCR3
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snowshoed for about 3 miles then came home and cleared snow for a couple of hours. Shoveling the white stuff, when done properly (lift with the legs, never the back), is a great full body exercise. Arms, core, legs--they're all utilized. Plus, it's outdoors, beating any time on my trainer in the basement. Don't own a bike (yet) that'll handle wintry road conditions, but hope to be back in the saddle in a few days when temps rise to where the road salt is effective.
    Last edited by ldarlee; 01-10-14 at 07:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.5 hrs on an ergonomic bike.
    7 x (4x4) Sub threshold
    5 x (2x2) hills (standing)

  4. #4
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldarlee View Post
    Snowshoed for about 3 miles then came home and cleared snow for a couple of hours. Shoveling the white stuff, when done properly (lift with the legs, never the back), is a great full body exercise. Arms, core, legs--they're all utilized. Plus, it's outdoors, beating any time on my trainer in the basement. Don't own a bike (yet) that'll handle wintry road conditions, but hope to be back in the saddle in a few days when temps rise to where the road salt is effective.
    Shoveling is like doing some deadlifts. Thank God we have no snow in Texas.

  5. #5
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm doing the Time Crunched Cyclist program. I keep a log over at the 50+ forum.

    I like your idea of a thread for "recreational cyclists who punish themselves for no good reason".

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Sempre; CAAD 10
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my third year of cycling. My first two years I just rode whenever I could. For this year I read
    Base Building for Cyclists: A New Foundation for Endurance and Performance Paperback

    by Thomas Chapple (Author)


    and have used the principles to design a base program for the winter for use with my indoor trainer and HRM. Its a pretty easy read and I am enjoying and benefiting from what I have put together. As I progress I will change the programs as I get closer the the goal rides I have set for the year.


    Good luck

  7. #7
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I'm doing the Time Crunched Cyclist program. I keep a log over at the 50+ forum.

    I like your idea of a thread for "recreational cyclists who punish themselves for no good reason".
    Thanks Dudelslack- I was at another forum here and it felt like an outsider since I have less than 1 year of cycling.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat987 View Post
    In my third year of cycling. My first two years I just rode whenever I could. For this year I read
    Base Building for Cyclists: A New Foundation for Endurance and Performance Paperback


    by Thomas Chapple (Author)


    and have used the principles to design a base program for the winter for use with my indoor trainer and HRM. Its a pretty easy read and I am enjoying and benefiting from what I have put together. As I progress I will change the programs as I get closer the the goal rides I have set for the year.


    Good luck
    Those sound like good books to read.
    I an got e-book for wintertraining and the author stresses it's important to get base mileage before doing any intervals.
    I think what confuses a lot of new cyclist like me is "Base Mileage". Most folks say base mileage is long slow miles. For me, base miles I do high cadence cycling at zone 2. When Feb ends, Intervals start.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Sempre; CAAD 10
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very well written book. Base training is more than long slow miles although u need plenty of them (Z2, high cadence is spot on). I do intervals on the trainer in the base training phase but they are in Z3 and between 5-10 long now and will increase to 20 minute blocks as I get further into the base cycle.

    best

  10. #10
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think. I just do what Carmichael tells me to do. If Monday morning calls for getting out a skillet and hitting myself on the head with it, well, by golly.....

  11. #11
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I don't think. I just do what Carmichael tells me to do. If Monday morning calls for getting out a skillet and hitting myself on the head with it, well, by golly.....
    I have his book and will need to start reading it.
    I was disappointed when I read Tyler Hamilton's book about Carmichael being a cheerleader rather than a coach.

  12. #12
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egornomic stationary bike
    22 miles
    6x (4+2)
    90 minutes
    Last edited by TexMac; 01-15-14 at 12:10 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spinning class 3X week where class is an hour and I warm up about 10 minutes before class begins. Class is mostly intervals....climbing and sprinting with short recovery periods between. Weightlifting/resistance exercise 2X week. That's about it until I can get outside on a bike. Don't know if it is enough, but will have to do for now. I'm late 50's age. Diet is always a bit of a struggle.

  14. #14
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've mainly just been weight training due to weather but I did finally get to go do some riding on Saturday.
    I rode for about 40 minutes, with 4 rounds of all out sprints for about 80-100 yards.

    I definitely have some work to do this spring.

  15. #15
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirupate View Post
    Spinning class 3X week where class is an hour and I warm up about 10 minutes before class begins. Class is mostly intervals....climbing and sprinting with short recovery periods between. Weightlifting/resistance exercise 2X week. That's about it until I can get outside on a bike. Don't know if it is enough, but will have to do for now. I'm late 50's age. Diet is always a bit of a struggle.
    That sounds like an interesting class. At 50 yrs old that's awesome. I was advised to be careful with doing intervals before you get your base miles but it all depends on your plans.
    For example, i'll be doing sub threshold intervals then Feb start doing some VOMAX intervals (8x30+30) or pyramid intervals.

  16. #16
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    I've mainly just been weight training due to weather but I did finally get to go do some riding on Saturday.
    I rode for about 40 minutes, with 4 rounds of all out sprints for about 80-100 yards.

    I definitely have some work to do this spring.
    Are you doing full body weight training or just legs?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    That sounds like an interesting class. At 50 yrs old that's awesome. I was advised to be careful with doing intervals before you get your base miles but it all depends on your plans.
    For example, i'll be doing sub threshold intervals then Feb start doing some VOMAX intervals (8x30+30) or pyramid intervals.
    Understand about having a base. That is a concern of mine. But the interval thing is just how the instructors all run the spin classes. I monitor heart rate with the intent of not going too far, but the instructors drive the classes as hard as they can. My wife and I are "surviving", and hopefully getting more fit as opposed to less and injured.

  18. #18
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirupate View Post
    Understand about having a base. That is a concern of mine. But the interval thing is just how the instructors all run the spin classes. I monitor heart rate with the intent of not going too far, but the instructors drive the classes as hard as they can. My wife and I are "surviving", and hopefully getting more fit as opposed to less and injured.
    I'm following a training called "12week winter training program" by a doctor Bondo Medhus. One thing he states is to ignore spinning instructors

  19. #19
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    Are you doing full body weight training or just legs?
    I work my full body year round, with an emphasis on lifting harder during the winter since I can't get outside as much.

    I typically have a squat day, bench day, deadlift day, then a day where I hit some weak points and do arms for aesthetic purposes.

  20. #20
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    I work my full body year round, with an emphasis on lifting harder during the winter since I can't get outside as much.

    I typically have a squat day, bench day, deadlift day, then a day where I hit some weak points and do arms for aesthetic purposes.
    Interesting.
    I work out twice a week during lunch (squats, lunges, shoulder press, plank, bent over row, calf raise, dips) then spin in the evening with one day rest.

  21. #21
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today we had our training ride for the MS150 and the organizers divided guys in groups of by 30miles & 50 miles (around 300 riders in total).
    I initially wanted to ride 38miles since i've been doing base miles all Jan. Well our two strong riders wanted to do 50 miles so I said why not. What I didn't know is, they were planning on averaging 20-28mphr and all I could do is just hang on and pulled twice.
    Had some bad cramps on my right leg but kept on cycling till it felt okay. Crashed 45 miles in and that left me with a broken helmet, bruised right leg & shoulder plus a head injury, nothing major. My handlebars were bent but I decided to finish the 5 miles. It was my mistake and thankfully the other rider was okay. Now I'm forced to start on interval training this early because I can't bare suffering like this again.
    Now these two riders were talking of planning on averaging 20mphr during MS 150 (200 Miles) in May. I might have to rethink this but can't wait to get on my bike.

  22. #22
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    I have his book and will need to start reading it.
    I was disappointed when I read Tyler Hamilton's book about Carmichael being a cheerleader rather than a coach.
    Tyler is not the most credible source in the universe.

  23. #23
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Tyler is not the most credible source in the universe.
    True but the lie was Carmichael was Armstrong's coach so he benefited from this while the true coach/dopperhead was Dr. Ferrari

  24. #24
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egornomic bike:
    10 minutes warmup followed by 4 x (10+5) at 90-100 RPM, finished with hills 6x (1 x 1) 60rpm. 10 minutes cool down.

  25. #25
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Felt F5, Giant Propel Advanced
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trainer bike
    1.3 hrs
    15 warmup
    9x (4+2)
    15 cool down

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •