Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 438
  1. #301
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eriku16 View Post
    They don't... they sit around all day on this forum... When they hope on their bikes, they diesel along at a Z1 pace. Watch out for the BS anecdotes! <-note!

    The reality for Keto/<100CHO is that your 70% effort will become your new 100%. Do a couple of quick sprints and your done for the day. If you are serious about performance, don't even think about these fad diets. Just eat a proper well balanced diet to fuel you on and off the bike.
    The diet people eat when they are on the bike and doing sprints isn't the same diet you need to sustain your activities off the bike.

  2. #302
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossFitJunkie View Post
    How do you sustain energy levels on low carbs. I was low carb years ago, and had no fuel for endurance type or HIIT workouts. Carbs are the main source of fuel, so I am wondering how you all do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eriku16 View Post
    They don't... they sit around all day on this forum... When they hope on their bikes, they diesel along at a Z1 pace. Watch out for the BS anecdotes! <-note!

    The reality for Keto/<100CHO is that your 70% effort will become your new 100%. Do a couple of quick sprints and your done for the day. If you are serious about performance, don't even think about these fad diets. Just eat a proper well balanced diet to fuel you on and off the bike.

    If you're on a ketogenic diet, then you're probably <50g carbs/day and you're right, you run low on glycogen and if you're doing workouts that hit muscle glycogen, then you're not going to have an optimum performance. You can do things like weight lifting or endurance bike riding no problem. You can't ride threshold intervals or do a Crossfit workout well.

    I know it's tough from some to accept this, but all people do not base their existence on how they performed on this morning's group ride.

    I don't really like staying ketogenic for long periods of time. I work better with about 150g or so of carbs/day. I like to ride pretty hard and do some hard workouts. For that, having some carbs is necessary.

    I've said before that I don't follow a Paleo diet. My diet is basically trying to eat things that have minimal processing. My additions to a Paleo diet primarily include some dairy and buckwheat flour. The Paleo diet is not just a ketogenic thing. It's macro agnostic.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Sixty Fiver, I've really gotten into the coconut oil rush

    I came across this


    "The interesting thing about coconut oil is that it is a MCT (medium chain triglyceride) that is well metabolized when one is in a state of ketogenisis to provide energy for all the human body's systems".






  4. #304
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,557
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coconut oil is good stuff. I use it often in my morning coffee and it does provide some extra energy. I'll drink my coconut coffee at about 5:30 in the morning then hop on my bike and ride to work, no need for solid food until noon hour.

  5. #305
    Junior Member CrossFitJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Oceanside, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow a diet. I eat to perform. I am consuming 250-300g of carbs a day. This has been solid for me and I perform well on this amount.
    Specialize in nothing; excel in everything.

  6. #306
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I try and stick to 100 grams of carbs per day, my wife is running on 30 grams per day.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My way of eating priority is weight management.

    I don't eat grain, so my daily <50 grams of carbs adds up to a good amount of veggies, nuts, and seeds.

  8. #308
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossFitJunkie View Post
    I don't follow a diet. I eat to perform. I am consuming 250-300g of carbs a day. This has been solid for me and I perform well on this amount.
    Have you played around with that number? Even doing a pretty severe workout, you're not likely to need >1000 calories of carbs. If you're doing Crossfit or bike intervals, you might burn 500 calories of carbs, but even then, that's not going to be every day.

    Training your body to efficiently process fats can be a real advantage. Let's say you're riding intervals and burn 1000 calories. If you can make 65 percent of those fat calories, you're in a much better place than if only 50 percent were from fat stores. In short, it means you have a better aerobic system and a more efficient engine overall.

    I don't particularly limit carbs, but I do try and eat them appropriately to fuel the day's glycogen taxing activities.

    Regardless of how you eat, it's an easy enough thing to tinker with and you might just find out some interesting things about how your body works.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  9. #309
    Junior Member CrossFitJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Oceanside, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Have you played around with that number? Even doing a pretty severe workout, you're not likely to need >1000 calories of carbs. If you're doing Crossfit or bike intervals, you might burn 500 calories of carbs, but even then, that's not going to be every day.

    Training your body to efficiently process fats can be a real advantage. Let's say you're riding intervals and burn 1000 calories. If you can make 65 percent of those fat calories, you're in a much better place than if only 50 percent were from fat stores. In short, it means you have a better aerobic system and a more efficient engine overall.

    I don't particularly limit carbs, but I do try and eat them appropriately to fuel the day's glycogen taxing activities.

    Regardless of how you eat, it's an easy enough thing to tinker with and you might just find out some interesting things about how your body works.

    Yes, I have played around with that number. I should have been more accurate in my statement. I do have control days. When I know I am not going to workout too hard, I do control my carb intake, and up my protein. I am also in the Marine Corps (infantry), and I need fuel pretty much daily to keep up with these young ones.

    Thanks,
    Ty
    Specialize in nothing; excel in everything.

  10. #310
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossFitJunkie View Post
    Yes, I have played around with that number. I should have been more accurate in my statement. I do have control days. When I know I am not going to workout too hard, I do control my carb intake, and up my protein. I am also in the Marine Corps (infantry), and I need fuel pretty much daily to keep up with these young ones.

    Thanks,
    Ty
    Marine Corps. infantry...that makes a _massive_ difference. You're essentially a professional athlete. Like any other hard-charging athlete, you're definitely going to need a good whack of carbs to fuel it. I guess the only thing I'd add to this part of the conversation is to be careful where you get those carbs. I think you're much better off with starchy tubers and things of that nature than you are with sugar. This way, you can get the muscle glycogen up, but you're still giving a nod to the insulin control side of things.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  11. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding the point where you're not likely to bonk as you get worn down and not consuming too many carb calories, is something I worked on early in my program.

    I would suggest replacing as many protein calories for fat calories as you can handle on the slacker days.

  12. #312
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here is a really good snack... people re-constitute this for cooking but it can also be eaten like a candy bar without consuming a butt load of sugar and it costs less than a chocolate bar too.



    I can see this as being perfect road food.

  13. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Here is a really good snack... people re-constitute this for cooking but it can also be eaten like a candy bar without consuming a butt load of sugar and it costs less than a chocolate bar too.



    I can see this as being perfect road food.
    Nice and energy dense. You got me moving on this but I decided to purchase some dessicated coconut and try to mix up some of my own concoctions

    "The fresh meats are carefully dehydrated to retain the full natural flavor and white color. During processing of the coconut, nothing is added and only the moisture is removed."


    Remember when the veggie oil peddlers went on an all out blitz to put up barriers against the use of coconut (and palm) oil? Their packaging screamed NO TROPICAL OILS!

  14. #314
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my local oriental markets has that; been meaning to pick it up and try my hand at making curries.

    M.

  15. #315
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I making a mistake buying local bacon without the nitrates?

    Cured meats and beets to boost NO? I wonder if ED drugs boost endurance since the affect NO and cGMP.

    Nitrates shown to improve performance in endurance athletes | Predator Nutrition Blog

  16. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xhlIIueZY

    is 17 minutes worth of a fine assortment of high fat wierdos' anecdotes

  17. #317
    DBA
    DBA is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really follow primal or paleo, but as a diabetic, I try to keep the carb intake under very tight constraints.

  18. #318
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    here

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xhlIIueZY

    is 17 minutes worth of a fine assortment of high fat wierdos' anecdotes
    Hard science is too much for most people to handle.

    I could explain in scientific terms why my wife's health has improved since she adopted a HFLC way of eating... but if I say she's looking curvy as hell folks perk up and want to see pictures.

  19. #319
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,911
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Hbut if I say she's looking curvy as hell folks perk up and want to see pictures.
    Sorry but, I have to comment in your wife's defense. In the ladies clothing world, the term "curvy" is a polite way of saying "overweight" ... "plus size". Some dress manufacturers even have the sizes small, medium, large, and curvy. Type 'ladies dress sizing curvy' into Google and you'll see what I mean.

    Every time you say she is getting curvier or looking curvy, you're saying she is gaining weight, becoming larger.

    I presume that's not what you mean ... ???

  20. #320
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Sorry but, I have to comment in your wife's defense. In the ladies clothing world, the term "curvy" is a polite way of saying "overweight" ... "plus size". Some dress manufacturers even have the sizes small, medium, large, and curvy. Type 'ladies dress sizing curvy' into Google and you'll see what I mean.

    Every time you say she is getting curvier or looking curvy, you're saying she is gaining weight, becoming larger.

    I presume that's not what you mean ... ???
    I am unfamiliar with "curvy" as being a lady's size.

    cur·va·ceous adjective \ˌkər-ˈvā-shəs\

    of a woman : having an attractively curved body


    Losing 60 pounds has only accentuated those curves.

  21. #321
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,911
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I am unfamiliar with "curvy" as being a lady's size.
    Yeah ... it's kind of common knowledge among women that "curvy" is a nice way of saying, "You've been packing on the pounds lately" ... or "You've now moved into the plus size dresses".


    Slender, slim, fit, trim are probably better choices.

  22. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I am unfamiliar with "curvy" as being a lady's size.

    cur·va·ceous adjective \ˌkər-ˈvā-shəs\

    of a woman : having an attractively curved body


    Losing 60 pounds has only accentuated those curves.
    I know what you mean because I associate in context with your previous posts, not as some buzzword

  23. #323
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    I know what you mean because I associate in context with your previous posts, not as some buzzword
    I know you know what I mean.

  24. #324
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Yeah ... it's kind of common knowledge among women that "curvy" is a nice way of saying, "You've been packing on the pounds lately" ... or "You've now moved into the plus size dresses".

    Slender, slim, fit, trim are probably better choices.
    We went shopping for work clothes for my wife the other day...

    My wife often has trouble buying clothes as she has Polish hips, a narrow waist, and as you work your way up there are slightly more curves than many women.

    No-one would ever call her slender or slim.

    I use the word in it's traditional sense... my wife knows what I mean.

  25. #325
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,911
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    We went shopping for work clothes for my wife the other day...

    My wife often has trouble buying clothes as she has Polish hips, a narrow waist, and as you work your way up there are slightly more curves than many women.

    No-one would ever call her slender or slim.

    I use the word in it's traditional sense... my wife knows what I mean.
    Just letting you know how it is used in the current sense.
    Just suggesting that a more genuinely complimentary term could be found.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •