Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Squeaky Bottom Bracket uluchay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lake Como, Italy
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 1.2 // 70's Olmo Gentleman
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Slow start after winter

    Hi all,

    I have started riding again after a 3 month break. I noticed that I am nowhere near my pre-winter pace. You might think that's normal but:

    - I have kept running all winter (3x per week)
    - I have lost around 9 kilos.

    My running performance is constantly increasing, I have better VO2Max and less weight. I notice a serious drop in the cadence. I was easily spinning 90-95 rpm before but now I can sustain max 85 rpm for a short period and I'm quickly out of breath.

    Is this a muscle issue? Did anyone experience anything like it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    971
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will come back. While you've kept up with running, they're still two different things that will tax you in different ways.

    I did a fair amount of conditioning one year during my off-season for soccer. And I spent a load of time on the elliptical. But when I got out on the field running and changing direction, it still took a while to get where I needed to be.

  3. #3
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,932
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running and cycling are different.

    Next winter, take a spinning class once or twice a week, and try to get outside to ride now and then. How cold and snowy is your part of Italy? Even casual rides on the weekends would help maintain cycling fitness.

  4. #4
    Squeaky Bottom Bracket uluchay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lake Como, Italy
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 1.2 // 70's Olmo Gentleman
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Running and cycling are different.

    Next winter, take a spinning class once or twice a week, and try to get outside to ride now and then. How cold and snowy is your part of Italy? Even casual rides on the weekends would help maintain cycling fitness.
    Switzerland is 5 minutes away and I can see the alps from my window. That's how cold it is. I did buy some thermal clothes but I still feel cold on my face, arms and hands under 10 degree Celsius.

    I guess I should re-consider buying a roller for next winter.

  5. #5
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uluchay View Post
    Hi all,

    I have started riding again after a 3 month break. I noticed that I am nowhere near my pre-winter pace. You might think that's normal but:

    - I have kept running all winter (3x per week)
    - I have lost around 9 kilos.

    My running performance is constantly increasing, I have better VO2Max and less weight. I notice a serious drop in the cadence. I was easily spinning 90-95 rpm before but now I can sustain max 85 rpm for a short period and I'm quickly out of breath.

    Is this a muscle issue? Did anyone experience anything like it?
    Yes, the cycling suffered from lack of use. But, perhaps your overall health and well being is better for the cross training?
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Apex, NC
    My Bikes
    Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it will all come back quickly. Your running and weight loss show that your overall aerobic conditioning is good. The cycling-specific motions are a bit detrained right now and your muscles are having to work very differently from your usual running work.

    Do some spinning to get your cadence back up and I'll bet that you are feeling much better in two weeks! As for the hills, nothing will help that except to ride up them - a lot!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    553
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uluchay View Post
    Switzerland is 5 minutes away and I can see the alps from my window. That's how cold it is. I did buy some thermal clothes but I still feel cold on my face, arms and hands under 10 degree Celsius.
    You can see the alps from your window, and you are complaining? I have zero sympathy for you, hope you freeze to death. Anyway...

    Did you buy warm clothes, or did you buy some kind of thermal, cycling-specific underwear? And 10 celsius isn't all that cold, -10c isn't too cold to ride if you dress sensibly. Have you tried wearing something appropriate for cold weather like a wind proof shell and a layer of wool or fleece? The face is easy to take care of with a thick wool scarf.

  8. #8
    Squeaky Bottom Bracket uluchay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lake Como, Italy
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 1.2 // 70's Olmo Gentleman
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprince View Post
    Did you buy warm clothes, or did you buy some kind of thermal, cycling-specific underwear?
    The first, uhm maybe the second, or maybe both. Let me tell you what I did. I bought a winter team kit, consisting of a long sleeve jersey (pretty much useless) and a long bib (good stuff). I also have long sleeve base layer tops of different materials (merino wool, lycra, cotton)


    Quote Originally Posted by sprince View Post
    And 10 celsius isn't all that cold, -10c isn't too cold to ride if you dress sensibly. Have you tried wearing something appropriate for cold weather like a wind proof shell and a layer of wool or fleece? The face is easy to take care of with a thick wool scarf.
    10C is not that cold, I can even call it a nice day to run in t-shirt. Cycling is different though. When I reach speeds over 30kph the wind penetrates through whatever piece of garment I have, my skin, my muscles and bones and follows the same trajectory in reverse order to leave my body.

    I also lack quality gloves and a face mask for the winter but once I felt that painful cold on my arms and core I lacked any interest of buying them. A wind proof jacket might help a lot, thanks for the idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by sprince View Post
    You can see the alps from your window, and you are complaining? I have zero sympathy for you, hope you freeze to death. Anyway...
    Even if it's non-existent, thank you for your sympathy. I will try that right away. But I prefer doing it on a snowboard instead (I don't know if you go all jelly about that either. Don't really care though.)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    553
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uluchay View Post
    I also lack quality gloves and a face mask for the winter but once I felt that painful cold on my arms and core I lacked any interest of buying them. A wind proof jacket might help a lot, thanks for the idea.
    The wind proof outer layer makes all the difference, and if you snowboard, then maybe you do have warm gloves after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by uluchay View Post
    Even if it's non-existent, thank you for your sympathy.
    I think something was lost in translation here Lake Como looks like a great place to ride, put on some sensible clothes and enjoy it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,476
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you lost some muscle mass. maybe concentrating on some hill climbing will get you back up to speed, so-to-speak
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •