Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    An Iron / HB related unexplained matter

    Hello to you,

    I have an Iron / HB related unexplained matter that I wish to understand how it is possible - Will very much appreciate a possible serious explanation to that.

    Enclosed is a summary of blood tests results from several periodical test taken. last one this week - (yellow are downs, green are ups) Generally, from 2008 to 2013 diet was vegetarian (non-heme iron supplements where consumed)
    in the last 5 month, foods reach in Heme iron (such as mussels, much higher than beef steaks..) were consumed. Cycling performance was not bad at all and expected to see an increase in Iron, HB, HTC..
    But instead - these went down to 5 years low.. how can this be.. ??

    ( Also, I'm 70kg and consume over 100 gr of whole protein daily - do not understand what's this LOW protein total mean )

    Thanks a lot!


    BT summary Feb 2014.jpg

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,897
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Have you asked your Dr?

    2) Have your periods been particularly heavy?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    1) Have you asked your Dr?

    2) Have your periods been particularly heavy?


    Scheduled a mtg. with a hematologist.

    I am a guy - no periods that I can remember

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have any illnesses or were recovering from an injury prior to the most recent test.

    I had a low iron level for a blood test and my doctor put it down to a sinus infection that I had at the time.

    But best to ask the specialist.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Did you have any illnesses or were recovering from an injury prior to the most recent test.

    I had a low iron level for a blood test and my doctor put it down to a sinus infection that I had at the time.

    But best to ask the specialist.

    Been suffering from quite a hard lower back pain in the last few months (and had a major Cramps issue at the end of a ride 3-4 days prior to the blood test) - other than that I cannot think of anything

  6. #6
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,797
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
    Hello to you,

    I have an Iron / HB related unexplained matter that I wish to understand how it is possible - Will very much appreciate a possible serious explanation to that.

    Enclosed is a summary of blood tests results from several periodical test taken. last one this week - (yellow are downs, green are ups) Generally, from 2008 to 2013 diet was vegetarian (non-heme iron supplements where consumed)
    in the last 5 month, foods reach in Heme iron (such as mussels, much higher than beef steaks..) were consumed. Cycling performance was not bad at all and expected to see an increase in Iron, HB, HTC..
    But instead - these went down to 5 years low.. how can this be.. ??

    ( Also, I'm 70kg and consume over 100 gr of whole protein daily - do not understand what's this LOW protein total mean )

    Thanks a lot!


    BT summary Feb 2014.jpg
    WNL (Within Normal Limits) for iron for males are: 80-180ug/dl. Your value of 103 is within those limits.
    WNL for transferrin is 215-365 mg/dl and your value of 234 is within that range. It is related to a measure of proteins available to bind mobile iron and tends to move in an inverse relationship to free iron...
    WNL for Ferrritin is 12-300 ng/ml and your value of 92 is within those limits. Ferritin measures available iron stores in the body.

    WNL for CPK are 55-170 U/L. Your test results of 600 do not show units so it may have been measured differently -- but the number suggests that yours are high. CPK is released when muscle injury occurs. That can be as simple as getting the test done after a hard workout or a more serious problem -- like a heart attack. You need to this reviewed by a Physician!

    WNL for hemoglobin (Hb) for men is 14-18g/dl. Your value of 14.8 is within that range.

    But, normal limits for lab results can vary based on the testing methods used by the lab -- and their results always include the WNL for their particular test. You should be looking at the original results presented by the lab in order to be sure of their interpretation. In addition, the results of blood work should always be reviewed by your physician within the context of any conditions you may have as well as any meidications you are taking. It is dangerous for you or anybody else to try to interpret lab results on their own outside of professional medical advice.

    The WNL that I sited above are just standards -- you need to have your results reviewed by the physician who ordered the tests...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    WNL (Within Normal Limits) for iron for males are: 80-180ug/dl. Your value of 103 is within those limits.
    WNL for transferrin is 215-365 mg/dl and your value of 234 is within that range. It is related to a measure of proteins available to bind mobile iron and tends to move in an inverse relationship to free iron...
    WNL for Ferrritin is 12-300 ng/ml and your value of 92 is within those limits. Ferritin measures available iron stores in the body.

    WNL for CPK are 55-170 U/L. Your test results of 600 do not show units so it may have been measured differently -- but the number suggests that yours are high. CPK is released when muscle injury occurs. That can be as simple as getting the test done after a hard workout or a more serious problem -- like a heart attack. You need to this reviewed by a Physician!

    WNL for hemoglobin (Hb) for men is 14-18g/dl. Your value of 14.8 is within that range.

    But, normal limits for lab results can vary based on the testing methods used by the lab -- and their results always include the WNL for their particular test. You should be looking at the original results presented by the lab in order to be sure of their interpretation. In addition, the results of blood work should always be reviewed by your physician within the context of any conditions you may have as well as any meidications you are taking. It is dangerous for you or anybody else to try to interpret lab results on their own outside of professional medical advice.

    The WNL that I sited above are just standards -- you need to have your results reviewed by the physician who ordered the tests...
    -------------

    Thank you GeorgeBMac,

    WNLs are the same and CPK upper limit is 200 and its units are U/L
    Last edited by jeff3069; 02-26-14 at 10:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: I'll just mention that all else equal, HTC (hematotocrit) decreases with training as fitness increases.

    Here's a journal article abstract that mentions this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11081466
    Ride more. Fret less.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    FWIW: I'll just mention that all else equal, HTC (hematotocrit) decreases with training as fitness increases.

    Here's a journal article abstract that mentions this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11081466
    ---------

    Thank you Loigi.

  10. #10
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    WNL for CPK are 55-170 U/L. Your test results of 600 do not show units so it may have been measured differently -- but the number suggests that yours are high. CPK is released when muscle injury occurs. That can be as simple as getting the test done after a hard workout or a more serious problem -- like a heart attack. You need to this reviewed by a Physician!

    The WNL that I sited above are just standards -- you need to have your results reviewed by the physician who ordered the tests...
    Like GBM said, I've had CPK come back high before after training hard. It was no big deal. I was tested later after resting a day and was fine. Let the Dr. guide you, though.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Like GBM said, I've had CPK come back high before after training hard. It was no big deal. I was tested later after resting a day and was fine. Let the Dr. guide you, though.
    ------------


    Thanks Fat Boy. yes I am aware of the CPK matter

    The decrease of Iron / HB..(yellows) under the described circumstances is what I don't und'd

  12. #12
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,135
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My WAG is that you didn't get as much iron as you thought and your supplements and leafy greens actually worked better. OR, you were exercising harder, gained some more plasma volume than RBCs, and the concentrations of some stuff went down. Or both.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    My WAG is that you didn't get as much iron as you thought and your supplements and leafy greens actually worked better. OR, you were exercising harder, gained some more plasma volume than RBCs, and the concentrations of some stuff went down. Or both.

    ----------------

    Thanks Carbonfiberboy !

    I was not aware of the 2nd possibility you raised - interesting, if you can refer me to any material on that, I will appreciate it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has at least one additional test confirmed those results? I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single test, could just be an off day for any number of reasons.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprince View Post
    Has at least one additional test confirmed those results? I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single test, could just be an off day for any number of reasons.
    ----------------

    Thanks sprince.

    Yes, I'm going to take another test (need a few days off the bike for the cpk..)

    Carbonfiberboy, I asked a physician who is well familiar with these issues about what you suggested and he does not think that my level of activity (exercised more) is a possible reason

  16. #16
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,135
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
    ----------------

    Thanks Carbonfiberboy !

    I was not aware of the 2nd possibility you raised - interesting, if you can refer me to any material on that, I will appreciate it.
    Looigi's post in your thread had this link:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11081466

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again

    So here's the repeated test results; after 3 days rest for the cpk (need to do another one soon for the WBC)

    BT 10-3-2014.jpg
    Last edited by jeff3069; 03-12-14 at 12:16 AM.

  18. #18
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,897
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you talked to your Dr about it yet?

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Have you talked to your Dr about it yet?
    Yes. hence the 3rd test to see what's the WBC thing

  20. #20
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,897
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff3069 View Post
    Yes. hence the 3rd test to see what's the WBC thing
    And ... ??

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    And ... ??

    Haven't done it yet. what do you have in mind ?

  22. #22
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,897
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought your Dr might have explained your Iron / HB related matter.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I just thought your Dr might have explained your Iron / HB related matter.
    Nop. Though I discussed it with another, knowledgeable Dr. who explained that Ferritin numbers are valid. all the rest, in order to get a correct valid values, they should be taken from a bone marrow test.

    This is still Unexplained and I wish to understand it. perhaps the 3rd blood count will allow some new info.

  24. #24
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,290
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jeff, how old are you, and are you white?

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --
    Last edited by jeff3069; 03-12-14 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •