Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-14, 01:09 PM   #1
daven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apex, NC
Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schedule workload opinions sought

I am an experienced rider with a number of years of riding behind me. Up until last fall, riding has been done by feel and by available time. September marked the arrival of my power meters and everything changed! I spent the winter doing the TrainerRoad mid-volume base programs and am coming into the season as fit as I've ever been.

Now I am looking at a structured build program and trying to figure out how to fit it into my available time. I travel most weeks, M-Th but usually have my bike and trainer with me at the hotel. So here is what my time looks like:

Monday - open
Tuesday - open
Wednesday - open
Thursday - no riding due to travel and client time requirements
Friday - 60 minutes for trainer work, 45 minutes later in the day for a 10-15 mile ride outside
Saturday - 1.5-2 hours endurance ride
Sunday - 1 hour for a ride outdoors

As I go into the build phase, I want to do four days of intervals/structure with one long ride on Saturday to maintain aerobic endurance. Intervals will probably be on the trainer because I like the ability to fully control the variables. So the question: how to arrange this work? Ideally, I would do three hard days (mon-wed) accumulating 100 TSS or so per day. Thursday is total rest. Friday is another interval day with a TSS around 75.

Can the three straight days of structure be done without being counterproductive? There is no point in doing the work if I don't see a result! Or am I better off to do a hard day on Mon and Wed with an easy endurance spin on Tuesday? My motivation is to take advantage of that time spent in hotel rooms if I can.

Your feedback is appreciated!
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 08:08 PM   #2
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,095
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven View Post
I am an experienced rider with a number of years of riding behind me. Up until last fall, riding has been done by feel and by available time. September marked the arrival of my power meters and everything changed! I spent the winter doing the TrainerRoad mid-volume base programs and am coming into the season as fit as I've ever been.

Now I am looking at a structured build program and trying to figure out how to fit it into my available time. I travel most weeks, M-Th but usually have my bike and trainer with me at the hotel. So here is what my time looks like:

Monday - open
Tuesday - open
Wednesday - open
Thursday - no riding due to travel and client time requirements
Friday - 60 minutes for trainer work, 45 minutes later in the day for a 10-15 mile ride outside
Saturday - 1.5-2 hours endurance ride
Sunday - 1 hour for a ride outdoors

As I go into the build phase, I want to do four days of intervals/structure with one long ride on Saturday to maintain aerobic endurance. Intervals will probably be on the trainer because I like the ability to fully control the variables. So the question: how to arrange this work? Ideally, I would do three hard days (mon-wed) accumulating 100 TSS or so per day. Thursday is total rest. Friday is another interval day with a TSS around 75.

Can the three straight days of structure be done without being counterproductive? There is no point in doing the work if I don't see a result! Or am I better off to do a hard day on Mon and Wed with an easy endurance spin on Tuesday? My motivation is to take advantage of that time spent in hotel rooms if I can.

Your feedback is appreciated!
What are you training for? As in "what's your goal?"

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 09:05 PM   #3
daven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apex, NC
Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
What are you training for? As in "what's your goal?"

H
I am 47. The goal is to race a few times this year without totally embarrassing myself. I'd also like to do a 3.5 hour metric and a 6-hour century.

The racing part is going to take some serious improvement in my 1-2 minute power and my ability to repeat high-intensity efforts. Facing facts, I may never be a sprinter of any note.... My strength is the ability to repeat efforts at 110%+ FTP with little drop off over 8-10 3min repeats. It seems that endurance at that power level is good. I am aiming for much more power in the short explosive efforts and the ability to ride just below threshold for long periods such as climbing.

The bottom line is that I never feel seriously fatigued after an interval session. (I am following TrainerRoad for these so the effort should be accurate). Can I get away with three consecutive days of high-intensity stuff without compromising the outcome?
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 10:05 PM   #4
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,095
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven View Post
I am 47. The goal is to race a few times this year without totally embarrassing myself. I'd also like to do a 3.5 hour metric and a 6-hour century.

The racing part is going to take some serious improvement in my 1-2 minute power and my ability to repeat high-intensity efforts. Facing facts, I may never be a sprinter of any note.... My strength is the ability to repeat efforts at 110%+ FTP with little drop off over 8-10 3min repeats. It seems that endurance at that power level is good. I am aiming for much more power in the short explosive efforts and the ability to ride just below threshold for long periods such as climbing.

The bottom line is that I never feel seriously fatigued after an interval session. (I am following TrainerRoad for these so the effort should be accurate). Can I get away with three consecutive days of high-intensity stuff without compromising the outcome?
I am a novice myself, so I can't really answer all your questions & don't know anything about the specific of training with power. However, I do know that you cannot train indefinitely with interval sessions. Intervals are very taxing (or they should be) and they are meant to be a temporary measure to get you from one level of performance to the next. Then you stop doing the intervals for awhile & reap the benefits of your hard work. A reasonable schedule might be 8-12 weeks of intervals, then 4-6 weeks of benefit reaping. The timing of when you complete an interval period is therefore very impt relative to your desired races/events.

I think you need to map out a schedule of events for the year and build a training program based on that.

I am not sure whether a 47 yo male could reasonably do three interval sessions back to back without compromising progress. I feel pretty confident that two would be ok. Three is questionable, maybe somebody else here will know. If not, you might just have to try it and see how it goes.

I do think if you want to do a century ride, you will need a much greater volume of miles than you currently have planned and some much longer rides. Unless long rides are a weekday option on the "open" days?

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 10:22 PM   #5
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,858
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I think you may be a good candidate for Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist Plan. Actually, you have plenty of time, but that is a good structure for newbies.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 05:02 PM   #6
daven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apex, NC
Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll answer my own question: three days of hard intervals, 100 TSS each, is too much. I did two days in a row and was fine, but tired, on Tuesday. Tonight I tried to do a 1-hr VO2 max set 3 x 3 x 2 and just could not do it effectively.

It it looks like I will use the third day (or the second) as a recovery ride day instead.
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 AM.