Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-14, 06:25 PM   #1
Shawn Gossman 
Super Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Shawn Gossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hurst, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soy Milk

I recently bought some chocolate soy milk. I am lactose when it comes to milk, just like my paw is! I bought the great value brand (walmart brand) and I love the taste and it doesn't give me....the things my lactose gives me so anyways, I heard it can be bad since I am a male... any truth to that? It has to be better for than regular milk don't it?
__________________
Tour de Shawn - My Neglected Personal Cycling Blog
Shawn Gossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 06:40 PM   #2
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if trolling or not, but I am not a fan of soy, but people react differently. Try almond milk
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 07:12 PM   #3
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soy is supposed to have a weak estrogen-like effect. I don't think it's a problem for males unless you eat a LOT of it. I have some soy milk on my cereal every day (usually two bowls of cereal, actually) & haven't noticed any negative effects. I'm also lactose intolerant, and yes, the consequences of that can be... unpleasant.

The cheapest reasonably-good tasting soy milk I have found is the Kirkland brand from Costco, sold by the case. It claims to be organic and only has ingredients that one would recognize. It isn't one of the varieties that pretends to be like milk.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 07:22 PM   #4
Shawn Gossman 
Super Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Shawn Gossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hurst, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
Not sure if trolling or not, but I am not a fan of soy, but people react differently. Try almond milk
If I was a troll, I'd probably be the only premium member troll but speaking of flamewar mongers and trolls, this link is always a good read for the subject: Flame Warriors Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
Soy is supposed to have a weak estrogen-like effect. I don't think it's a problem for males unless you eat a LOT of it. I have some soy milk on my cereal every day (usually two bowls of cereal, actually) & haven't noticed any negative effects. I'm also lactose intolerant, and yes, the consequences of that can be... unpleasant.

The cheapest reasonably-good tasting soy milk I have found is the Kirkland brand from Costco, sold by the case. It claims to be organic and only has ingredients that one would recognize. It isn't one of the varieties that pretends to be like milk.
Thanks for the advice! I like buying things by the case I'm not sure if we have a costco round here but we do have a sams club and I am sure they got it...in bulk at that!
__________________
Tour de Shawn - My Neglected Personal Cycling Blog
Shawn Gossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 08:06 PM   #5
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Bikes:
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
I recently bought some chocolate soy milk. I am lactose when it comes to milk, just like my paw is! I bought the great value brand (walmart brand) and I love the taste and it doesn't give me....the things my lactose gives me so anyways, I heard it can be bad since I am a male... any truth to that? It has to be better for than regular milk don't it?
The soy estrogen thing is crap, or at least grossly overstated and misunderstood. I added 25 lbs of muscle while having a few servings of soy protein every day. This doesn't mean it's a good way to increase testosterone, but it is a low fat source of protein, and for me it completely debunks the unproven theory that men will suddenly start growing breasts just because of eating soy products. Granted it's not as good as milk or eggs for testosterone levels, but it's also not going to turn you into a female when ingested in reasonable amounts. Don't forget that many studies have noted tangible benefits from soy, including extending your life, lowered risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
sprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 09:12 PM   #6
RoadTire 
Senior Member
 
RoadTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
I recently bought some chocolate soy milk. I am lactose intolerant when it comes to milk, just like my Pa! I bought the great value brand (walmart brand) and I love the taste and it doesn't give me....the things lactose intolerance gives me so anyway, I heard it can be bad since I am a male... any truth to that? It has to be better than regular milk, doesn't it?
FIFY. You are not lactose. Just sayin... Haven't been riding and getting pissy. Nothing better to do than go around sticking my knose in other's grammer.
__________________
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
RoadTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 09:32 PM   #7
Shawn Gossman 
Super Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Shawn Gossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hurst, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTire View Post
FIFY. You are not lactose. Just sayin... Haven't been riding and getting pissy. Nothing better to do than go around sticking my knose in other's grammer.
I'm a Master degree student, I gotta be all grammar'd up and professional when I am doing that so I cut loose when I am not
__________________
Tour de Shawn - My Neglected Personal Cycling Blog
Shawn Gossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 09:47 PM   #8
RoadTire 
Senior Member
 
RoadTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
I'm a Master degree student, I gotta be all grammar'd up and professional when I am doing that so I cut loose when I am not
Somehow I just knew this was going to come back and bite me. No wonder my boss keeps telling me not to "kick the beehive," when I make cracks to his boss.



Now don't be going after my punctuation.
__________________
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
RoadTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 09:53 PM   #9
Shawn Gossman 
Super Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Shawn Gossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hurst, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTire View Post
Somehow I just knew this was going to come back and bite me. No wonder my boss keeps telling me not to "kick the beehive," when I make cracks to his boss.



Now don't be going after my punctuation.
I don't go after anyone! I'm the type that would bear hug a stranger before I pick a fight with someone who curses at me!
__________________
Tour de Shawn - My Neglected Personal Cycling Blog
Shawn Gossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 12:50 AM   #10
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
If you can't tolerate lactose, then yes it is better for you than regular milk. About a zillion babies have been raised on it with no ill effects. The estrogen thing is BS, based on a faulty understanding of the science. There are no proven bad effects.
Effect of Soymilk Consumption on Serum Estrogen and Androgen Concentrations in Japanese Men
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 08:22 AM   #11
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
FWIW: Almond milk is good but it has a much lower level of protein compared to soy milk; ~1gm/cup compared to 8gm/cup for soy.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 08:48 AM   #12
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
About a zillion babies have been raised on it with no ill effects.
Yeah that's right...That's why we have a generation of soft feminine weaklings who need to pop pills and get testestorone injections, and our healthcare system is under so much pressure...I am not sure what you're trying to say, but if you're saying that soy baby formulas are better then breastmilk or even regular milk then you're wrong...Breast milk has a lot of valuable substances in perfect ratios...Soy milk is only good for one thing: to be poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet...Modern men have a much much lower testosterone levels then their forefathers, and I attribute that to the type of food they are raised on as babies and children...You can not build a house when the foundation is weak. Human body is the same. The type of food people eat as babies and children will determine their outcome as adults.
wolfchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 07:45 PM   #13
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Yeah that's right...That's why we have a generation of soft feminine weaklings who need to pop pills and get testestorone injections, and our healthcare system is under so much pressure...I am not sure what you're trying to say, but if you're saying that soy baby formulas are better then breastmilk or even regular milk then you're wrong...Breast milk has a lot of valuable substances in perfect ratios...Soy milk is only good for one thing: to be poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet...Modern men have a much much lower testosterone levels then their forefathers, and I attribute that to the type of food they are raised on as babies and children...You can not build a house when the foundation is weak. Human body is the same. The type of food people eat as babies and children will determine their outcome as adults.
Relax and find some other scapegoat to explain why the world has been ruined. Babies are only given soy formula if they are allergic to regular milk or can't tolerate it for other reasons. That's a pretty small fraction of the total number of babies.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 08:15 PM   #14
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
Relax and find some other scapegoat to explain why the world has been ruined. Babies are only given soy formula if they are allergic to regular milk or can't tolerate it for other reasons. That's a pretty small fraction of the total number of babies.
Majority of babies in the last 2 generations has been fed soy formulas, because it seems that breastfeeding has become " too old fashioned ", unpopular, inconvenient, even politically incorrect....No, soy formulas are not a good substitute for real milk, never was and never will be...Lactose intolerance is usually developed after weaning and not at birth.
wolfchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 08:16 PM   #15
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,237
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
Relax and find some other scapegoat to explain why the world has been ruined. Babies are only given soy formula if they are allergic to regular milk or can't tolerate it for other reasons. That's a pretty small fraction of the total number of babies.
+1


People are reading too many tabloids.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 09:13 PM   #16
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Majority of babies in the last 2 generations has been fed soy formulas, because it seems that breastfeeding has become " too old fashioned ", unpopular, inconvenient, even politically incorrect....No, soy formulas are not a good substitute for real milk, never was and never will be...Lactose intolerance is usually developed after weaning and not at birth.
From what I'm seeing online, 20 - 25% of babies are given soy formula in the US. That's more than I would have expected, but certainly not the majority. Most baby formula is cows milk-based. I agree that breastfeeding is best, but using a cows milk or soy-based formula typically isn't a problem unless a baby has an allergy to cows milk or soy.

You should be aware that lactose intolerance and milk allergies are totally different things.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 03:47 PM   #17
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
I recently bought some chocolate soy milk. I am lactose when it comes to milk, just like my paw is! I bought the great value brand (walmart brand) and I love the taste and it doesn't give me....the things my lactose gives me so anyways, I heard it can be bad since I am a male... any truth to that? It has to be better for than regular milk don't it?
See if you can handle kefir. It tends to be quite low in lactose, if it has any at all. My lactose intolerant fiance handles my homemade kefir perfectly, though the taste puts her off.

M.
MEversbergII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 07:10 PM   #18
inspclouseau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The thing about soy milk I can't appreciate is the sugar added. The annoyingly sweet taste aside, sugar additives are just unnecessary & unhealthy.
inspclouseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 09:30 PM   #19
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,237
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspclouseau View Post
The thing about soy milk I can't appreciate is the sugar added. The annoyingly sweet taste aside, sugar additives are just unnecessary & unhealthy.
Yes, that is a down-side to soy milk. I'd use it a lot more if it weren't for the sugar and high calorie count.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 05:58 AM   #20
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspclouseau View Post
The thing about soy milk I can't appreciate is the sugar added. The annoyingly sweet taste aside, sugar additives are just unnecessary & unhealthy.
Then buy the unsweetened variety. It's healthy, but it tastes like soy milk.

edit to add:
BTW, I drink 2 cups a day of the sweetened, vanilla flavor. Along with the whole grains I eat it with, it provides 25 grams of "complete" proteins without all the bad stuff you get from cow's milk. Yes, the added processing is not good, but it makes it palatable and its still far more healthy than the alternative (IMHO).

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 05-28-14 at 06:08 AM.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 06:20 AM   #21
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,237
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Then buy the unsweetened variety. It's healthy, but it tastes like soy milk.

edit to add:
BTW, I drink 2 cups a day of the sweetened, vanilla flavor. Along with the whole grains I eat it with, it provides 25 grams of "complete" proteins without all the bad stuff you get from cow's milk. Yes, the added processing is not good, but it makes it palatable and its still far more healthy than the alternative (IMHO).
I look for unsweetened variety, but I don't find it.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 06:34 AM   #22
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspclouseau View Post
The thing about soy milk I can't appreciate is the sugar added. The annoyingly sweet taste aside, sugar additives are just unnecessary & unhealthy.
Then you can add in the fact that almost all of the soy in the US is genetically modified.
I'd prefer to not say "it's okay to screw with my food" by giving those companies money. Just my .02
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 06:55 AM   #23
inspclouseau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
Then you can add in the fact that almost all of the soy in the US is genetically modified.
I'd prefer to not say "it's okay to screw with my food" by giving those companies money. Just my .02
& lawd help you if one of those patented GMO'd soy beans lands in your back yard and germinates. Monsanto will be there with a bus full of lawyers, noose in hand.
inspclouseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 01:19 PM   #24
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back in my soymilk days I actually LIKED the unsweetened type.

M.
MEversbergII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 07:39 PM   #25
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
Then you can add in the fact that almost all of the soy in the US is genetically modified.
I'd prefer to not say "it's okay to screw with my food" by giving those companies money. Just my .02
I buy the organic soy milk. Where I shop it's about the same price as the non-organic.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.