Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,582
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wasn't familiar with the acronym MICE used in George's OP, so I googled and ran across this:
    Long-term high-intensity interval training associated with lifestyle modifications improves QT dispersion parameters in metabolic syndrome patients.
    Long-term high-intensity interval train... [Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

    George and his doctors are pursuing a proven program.

  2. #27
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,582
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown View Post
    Unfortunately, no time to translate. Time's up! Time to celebrate getting old! But.... I was able to pull the editorial as well. That was a big ole "don't take the original article at face value" that I've read in a long time. Weird. I'll get back inline soon. Carbon, PM me if you want the full article. I'm sure you can cite it when you're done? . Heart ya!

    koffee
    You can't receive PMs, your choice or someone else's.

  3. #28
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown View Post
    Unfortunately, no time to translate. Time's up! Time to celebrate getting old! But.... I was able to pull the editorial as well. That was a big ole "don't take the original article at face value" that I've read in a long time. Weird. I'll get back inline soon. Carbon, PM me if you want the full article. I'm sure you can cite it when you're done? . Heart ya!

    koffee
    So why not let others in this discussion have access to the articles?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  4. #29
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    So why not let others in this discussion have access to the articles?
    Copyright: I think you need a subscription to "Heart" to get them.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  5. #30
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Copyright: I think you need a subscription to "Heart" to get them.
    Yes, and a poster is offering to circulate the content of that to at least one other individual who doesn't have a subscription. Which provides him with information to which others are not privvy.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  6. #31
    Senior Member Null66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Garner, NC 27529
    My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Posts
    1,637
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Struggling with these issues now..

    From my reading some types of enlargement are not correlated with negative events, precisely the type of enlargement from exercise. Enlargement from both genetic and high blood pressure are strongly associated with negative events.

    Interesting the same pattern appears (more basic research needed) to hold for arrhythmia's as well.

    It's just that those who do not have negative events do not come to the attention of medical professionals. SO this grossly distorts what people perceive.

  7. #32
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,582
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going back to George's OP . . . It's also time for us to start doing higher intensity intervals, so I looked around a little and saw this:
    My World From a Bicycle: High Intensity Interval Training
    which contains this table:


    The first of the interval protocols in this table are what are known as ZeCanon intervals in the 33 workout recipe thread:
    The BikeForums.net workout recipe book
    Getting our threshold watts up 8%-12% looked pretty good to me.

    Similar intervals have worked well for me in the past, so yesterday we went out and did a set on the flat on our tandem. We don't have power, so just estimated power from our experience and found that I was hitting my LT+ numbers by the end of each interval. Stoker was working at least as hard as I was, but her HR was lagging for unknown reasons. Good workout anyway. 100 cadence is a must, or my legs wouldn't make it past the second interval. Did an EMS (stim) session while watching an old Werner Herzog movie before bed. Legs feel worked but pretty good today. We'll do core and a 45' rollers/trainer recovery ride today.

  8. #33
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    Going back to George's OP . . . It's also time for us to start doing higher intensity intervals, so I looked around a little and saw this:
    My World From a Bicycle: High Intensity Interval Training
    which contains this table:


    The first of the interval protocols in this table are what are known as ZeCanon intervals in the 33 workout recipe thread:
    The BikeForums.net workout recipe book
    Getting our threshold watts up 8%-12% looked pretty good to me.

    Similar intervals have worked well for me in the past, so yesterday we went out and did a set on the flat on our tandem. We don't have power, so just estimated power from our experience and found that I was hitting my LT+ numbers by the end of each interval. Stoker was working at least as hard as I was, but her HR was lagging for unknown reasons. Good workout anyway. 100 cadence is a must, or my legs wouldn't make it past the second interval. Did an EMS (stim) session while watching an old Werner Herzog movie before bed. Legs feel worked but pretty good today. We'll do core and a 45' rollers/trainer recovery ride today.
    Thanks! That is helpful!

    I really did not understand much about HIIT and planned to simply follow the lead of the exercise therapist. But that's not my usual style -- and for good reason: it doesn't usually have a good outcome for me!

    So now I see some of the background and some of the options. Also, it was interesting that he said that for unfit persons, almost any regimen will help... So I look forward to working with this...

    But, for the immediate future, that's about all I can do as I am waiting for a piriformis muscle that I strained or sprained in a Pilates class to heal up... I could probably do it while it is still injured because the running/cycling movement shouldn't stress it. But, I'm just playing it safe. It was just a week ago I was taking Percocets for the pain...

    But I am very much both looking forward to it and dreading it -- because it frankly sounds less than pleasant. Did he REALLY say: "Repeat until you see Jesus"?
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  9. #34
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,582
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Thanks! That is helpful!

    I really did not understand much about HIIT and planned to simply follow the lead of the exercise therapist. But that's not my usual style -- and for good reason: it doesn't usually have a good outcome for me!

    So now I see some of the background and some of the options. Also, it was interesting that he said that for unfit persons, almost any regimen will help... So I look forward to working with this...

    But, for the immediate future, that's about all I can do as I am waiting for a piriformis muscle that I strained or sprained in a Pilates class to heal up... I could probably do it while it is still injured because the running/cycling movement shouldn't stress it. But, I'm just playing it safe. It was just a week ago I was taking Percocets for the pain...

    But I am very much both looking forward to it and dreading it -- because it frankly sounds less than pleasant. Did he REALLY say: "Repeat until you see Jesus"?
    In my case it's Moses and Miriam. Percocet sounds bad. I'm still liking my core book. I started last winter and I'll have finished the whole program in July.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •