Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Developing a training plan as a weightlifter looking to get involved in sprinting

    Hi all. So currently I'm a weightlifter. Snatch clean and jerk etc.

    I want to get on the bike again and hopefully use my strength background to do some track sprinting, team sprint and maybe the kilo. I'd also like to make use of the nice weather and possibly do some moderate road rides with my dad and mates.


    Should I get a road bike for such training? And look at a track bike further down the line, or use a track bike for most of my training even on a road?

    After that, how can I ease in to some sprint training? I guess shorter, higher intensity rides would be more beneficial, possibly using some hills? I also have access to a turbo trainer and a short ~4 mile commute.

    My endurance will be low at the minute, as weightlifting is mainly anaerobic.

    How often should I hit the track?

    So any help is very much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen21 View Post
    Should I get a road bike for such training? And look at a track bike further down the line, or use a track bike for most of my training even on a road?
    Nothing wrong with a track bike for on the road training just as long as you have access to a geared bike or trainer for recovery rides.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprince View Post
    Nothing wrong with a track bike for on the road training just as long as you have access to a geared bike or trainer for recovery rides.

    i dont have a road bike as of yet, just a singlespeed for commuting on

  5. #5
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just my personal opinion: If it was me I would use a track bike with a racing gear ratio for sprint training and I would have another fixed gear bike set up with a much lower gear ratio for doing recovery rides and road rides...Sprinting is an explosive activity so you want to focus on developing power, explosive strength and speed...IOW focus on practising sprinting rather then wasting time and energy on doing long distance endurance rides A little bit of endurance work is ok but I would keep my road rides no longer then 2 hours. Too much endurance training in not good for sprinting because it will compromise and weaken your fast twitch muscles and explosive strength both of which are essential for track sprinting. If possible, commuting on a fixed gear is a great way to get some base miles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
    This is just my personal opinion: If it was me I would use a track bike with a racing gear ratio for sprint training and I would have another fixed gear bike set up with a much lower gear ratio for doing recovery rides and road rides...Sprinting is an explosive activity so you want to focus on developing power, explosive strength and speed...IOW focus on practising sprinting rather then wasting time and energy on doing long distance endurance rides A little bit of endurance work is ok but I would keep my road rides no longer then 2 hours. Too much endurance training in not good for sprinting because it will compromise and weaken your fast twitch muscles and explosive strength both of which are essential for track sprinting. If possible, commuting on a fixed gear is a great way to get some base miles.
    okay cheers, i do commute on a singlespeed bike (not fixed wheel)

    ill see what others say and use the general consensus, but your idea seems good. Even if i just start with the track bike and go from there

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •