Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member justinzane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Yreka, CA, US
    My Bikes
    NoName Al Road Frame with a panoply of mismatched and ever improving parts that shall move to a new frame when I am good enough to make use of one.
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Affordable Tri (TT/Aero) Saddles?

    First, let me apologize if this is misposted; I'm not a triathlete; just road biking and water polo (if there were a someplace to play, ). I have however, started using some Syntace aero bars and absolutely love them. I've found that the Tektro RX4.1 reverse brake levers are quite affordable and work well for me. Since I've been using bar-end shifters on my drops, that is an easy solution as well.

    What I've been unable to find is a saddle that is comfortable for long rides in a tuck. The Bontrager Affinity that was quite comfortable riding in the drops is now a huge pain in the taint when I ride in the aero bars.

    From articles on [slowtwitch.com](Saddle Theory: Part II - Slowtwitch.com) and elsewhere, I've determined that I probably need to try a different design of saddle. I've also discovered that many of the most well reviewed Tri saddles -- [Dash - $300](TT - TRI SADDLES ? Dash Cycles), [Cobb - $200](Triathlon Saddles), [Selle SMP - $120+](Chrono), etc. -- are too expensive to buy just to try.

    Though the LBS is helpful, they are a small rural shop and most of their inventory is MTB, with a little road and BMX. So, there is no practical way for me to try out a loaner or rental. Anyone know of any saddles designed for comfort in a tuck that are affordable? Knock-offs of the competetive top-dollar models cheap enough to experiment with?

    In case it matters, my tuberosities are ~125mm, I'm male, and I'm riding about 15 degrees above true flat-back aero position since I'm not competing and my road bike is too slack to really be flat without an excessively acute hip angle.
    Please help: http://www.bikeforums.net/manufacturer-retailer-survey-consumer-feedback/971350-justinzane-s-drivetrain-survey.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On my bike...
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been shopping for saddles this past month. I demo'd a couple saddles in 200-300 range. Last time I was in the shop dropping off another $300 dud, one of the salesman suggested the Sitero Expert.

    Really happy with it. Channel down the middle to keep the pressure of the sensitive bits, and the shape of the saddle is pointed so you can find a perfect fit for your sit bones just moving back or forth on the saddle. Designed for long distance events; I've only had it a week, but I've done a couple 2+ hour rides and I've been comfortable. No numbness or chafing.

    This is it: Specialized Bicycle Components

    $149 in Canada, not sure if that meets your definition of affordable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member justinzane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Yreka, CA, US
    My Bikes
    NoName Al Road Frame with a panoply of mismatched and ever improving parts that shall move to a new frame when I am good enough to make use of one.
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not anywhere near affordable if I cannot at least try it in the shop parking lot... Which ain't possible, since the LBS would have to order it for me. But, I had been looking at that model just last night. It does look like a good option and [b]I'm glad to know that someone likes it in real life.[b] Thanks.

    Times like this make me wish I did not live 6 hours from the nearest metro area.
    Please help: http://www.bikeforums.net/manufacturer-retailer-survey-consumer-feedback/971350-justinzane-s-drivetrain-survey.html

  4. #4
    Senior Member justinzane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Yreka, CA, US
    My Bikes
    NoName Al Road Frame with a panoply of mismatched and ever improving parts that shall move to a new frame when I am good enough to make use of one.
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after some extensive cheapskate-oriented research, it seems that I can pick up either a ProLogo Nago Evo Tri40 or a Profile Design Tri-Stryke for less than 30.00 USD. Anyone have experience with both?
    Please help: http://www.bikeforums.net/manufacturer-retailer-survey-consumer-feedback/971350-justinzane-s-drivetrain-survey.html

  5. #5
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justinzane View Post
    First, let me apologize if this is misposted; I'm not a triathlete; just road biking and water polo (if there were a someplace to play, ). I have however, started using some Syntace aero bars and absolutely love them. I've found that the Tektro RX4.1 reverse brake levers are quite affordable and work well for me. Since I've been using bar-end shifters on my drops, that is an easy solution as well.

    What I've been unable to find is a saddle that is comfortable for long rides in a tuck. The Bontrager Affinity that was quite comfortable riding in the drops is now a huge pain in the taint when I ride in the aero bars.

    From articles on [slowtwitch.com](Saddle Theory: Part II - Slowtwitch.com) and elsewhere, I've determined that I probably need to try a different design of saddle. I've also discovered that many of the most well reviewed Tri saddles -- [Dash - $300](TT - TRI SADDLES ? Dash Cycles), [Cobb - $200](Triathlon Saddles), [Selle SMP - $120+](Chrono), etc. -- are too expensive to buy just to try.

    Though the LBS is helpful, they are a small rural shop and most of their inventory is MTB, with a little road and BMX. So, there is no practical way for me to try out a loaner or rental. Anyone know of any saddles designed for comfort in a tuck that are affordable? Knock-offs of the competetive top-dollar models cheap enough to experiment with?

    In case it matters, my tuberosities are ~125mm, I'm male, and I'm riding about 15 degrees above true flat-back aero position since I'm not competing and my road bike is too slack to really be flat without an excessively acute hip angle.
    I can't paste the link but you can find the Blue tri/tt saddle for 29.88. It's advertised as $70 off at milewidesports. I was riding a Fizik carbon, got the Blue for free. Like it, but it might be too massive for your fit.

  6. #6
    Senior Member justinzane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Yreka, CA, US
    My Bikes
    NoName Al Road Frame with a panoply of mismatched and ever improving parts that shall move to a new frame when I am good enough to make use of one.
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    I can't paste the link but you can find the Blue tri/tt saddle for 29.88. It's advertised as $70 off at milewidesports. I was riding a Fizik carbon, got the Blue for free. Like it, but it might be too massive for your fit.
    Triathlon Specific Saddle From Blue Competition Cycles Black Tri TT Pa ? Mile Wide Sports

    Thanks! Great find. I've ordered a Prologo Nago Evo 40 Tri ("Try and Buy" demo model) for about the same money from BikeWagon.com. If that does not make my taint happy, I'll certainly give the Blue a try.

    Now if only I could find the Dash saddles for the same price... 2011_07_Dash_T7_Review_1.jpg
    Please help: http://www.bikeforums.net/manufacturer-retailer-survey-consumer-feedback/971350-justinzane-s-drivetrain-survey.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member thehammerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Road bike is a Bianchi C2C, Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & 1980's Grandis
    Posts
    2,017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get an old school Flite. I just found my old one put it on my bike love it...
    A great seat back in the day.

  8. #8
    Senior Member justinzane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Yreka, CA, US
    My Bikes
    NoName Al Road Frame with a panoply of mismatched and ever improving parts that shall move to a new frame when I am good enough to make use of one.
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justinzane View Post
    So, after some extensive cheapskate-oriented research, it seems that I can pick up either a ProLogo Nago Evo Tri40 or a Profile Design Tri-Stryke for less than 30.00 USD. Anyone have experience with both?
    So, I ended up with the ProLogo Nago Evo Tri40. I've put about 120-150 miles on it; including an accidental local version of Paris-Roubaix.

    First off, when riding almost entirely in the aerobars (aka TT bars, Tri bars) with my hips rotated quite far forward; the Tri40 is a VAST improvement in crotch comfort over the Bontrager Affinity that I had been using. Where I'd end up with abrasions and blisters in quite unpleasant places with the road saddle after only 15mi; I've done twice that with no friction damage at all.

    The flip side is that the Tri40 is extremely hard on the ischeal tuberosities if one rides on rough roads while sitting up in the drops. I ended up going on a loop through a local state park with unimproved roads -- coarse gravel over hardpack earth and rock -- with 23mm tires. With the Tri40 on that stretch of the ride, my sit bones got bruised quite noticeably.

    Bottom line is that the Tri40 is a great improvement -- for me -- when riding on pavement in aerobars. It is -- again, for me -- a lousy saddle for spending any significant time sitting with less rotated hips like the typical hands-on-hoods road position. It is downright wicked for unpaved surfaces; but then, why would anyone but a moron ride narrow tires, aerobars and a Tri saddle offroad?
    Please help: http://www.bikeforums.net/manufacturer-retailer-survey-consumer-feedback/971350-justinzane-s-drivetrain-survey.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •