Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-05, 09:30 PM   #1
callmeclyde
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts on Specialized Transition Elite

New to tri. Last competitive sport...college football, so these last couple of months have been quite a change!! I got a pretty good deal on a Transition Elite, rode it and really liked it. Any thoughts on the bike??
callmeclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 01:18 PM   #2
chrisesposito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Bend, WA
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the bike shops I frequent is run by an ex-pro triathlete (Tom Price) and he had one in his shop window for a while. I asked him about it one day and he said he thought it was a good entry-level dual use road / tri bike. I have a vague memory of a $1200 or so price tag.
chrisesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 03:41 PM   #3
Jaybird
AKA: Tri-Dummy
 
Jaybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Platte, Nebraska
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Transition Elite, 2004 GT Avalanche MTB
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought one and got a smoking deal on it. If you don't have 3-4 grand or more to throw down on a bike, than it is perfect. Mine has great components (Ultegra/105) and rides great. My tri season is over (Nebraska...shiver) and never got to use it for a race. I rode a friend's bike (bottom end Giant w/aero bar) this year and the Trans Elite blows it away. This was my first year and had an awesome time.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 06:46 AM   #4
Triguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Specialized looks nice, even better in person. My main concern would be the sloping top tube. Tri bikes are made to get are from the front of them to the back, no easier way to do that than to run it along a surface. By making the top tube not horizontal it is therefore the Specialized top tube is disturbing one of the easiest places to keep constant in airflow. I realize it is Specialized's "thing" to do sloping geometry but why do deep tubes and seat cut outs when you negate it with something else?
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 07:44 PM   #5
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisesposito
One of the bike shops I frequent is run by an ex-pro triathlete (Tom Price) and he had one in his shop window for a while. I asked him about it one day and he said he thought it was a good entry-level dual use road / tri bike. I have a vague memory of a $1200 or so price tag.

I think you may be confusing the multisport....the elite is a full tri bike, where as the multi is roadie with aeros
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 09:34 PM   #6
chrisesposito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Bend, WA
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
I think you may be confusing the multisport....the elite is a full tri bike, where as the multi is roadie with aeros
After reading more about the model in question here and elsewhere, you are probably right.

unfortunately it appears that the LBS I mentioned where I saw the multipsort may have gone out of business - `For Lease' signs and notices for undelivered UPS packages have started to appear on the windows. Maybe he is just moving...
chrisesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 10:04 PM   #7
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisesposito
After reading more about the model in question here and elsewhere, you are probably right.

unfortunately it appears that the LBS I mentioned where I saw the multipsort may have gone out of business - `For Lease' signs and notices for undelivered UPS packages have started to appear on the windows. Maybe he is just moving...
I have the multisport, its nice but I want a full tri bike..I'd say if thats all you do, get the elite, should be like 1800 or so?
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 11:21 PM   #8
cjbruin
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
The Specialized looks nice, even better in person. My main concern would be the sloping top tube. Tri bikes are made to get are from the front of them to the back, no easier way to do that than to run it along a surface. By making the top tube not horizontal it is therefore the Specialized top tube is disturbing one of the easiest places to keep constant in airflow. I realize it is Specialized's "thing" to do sloping geometry but why do deep tubes and seat cut outs when you negate it with something else?
Huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your third sentence...did you mean "air" instead of "are".

I don't think you are correct about the sloping tubes affects on air flow.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 07:07 AM   #9
jennings780
Senior Member
 
jennings780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Bikes: '06 Cannondale CAAD8, '04 Cannondale Ironman 2000
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specialized makes nice bikes.
I think the transition elite looks like a nice bike. It is true tri bike geometry and 105 components are fine. You may want to upgrade the Alex wheels at some point. I have an Allez Elite and I have trouble keeping my Alex ALX330 wheels true. My LBS said that they have a lot of problems with them.
jennings780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 11:44 AM   #10
Triguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes I meant air. And I'm pretty sure every bike coming out of the wind tunnel this year is on my side (trek ttx, time, cervelo) because none of them have a sloping top tube. I would probably put money down that Specialized Transitions never saw a wind tunnel.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 12:29 PM   #11
Triguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I'm not trying to come off like a dick, but I did some research to back up my claims. John Cobb took compact frames into a wind tunnel a while back, they did indeed show up slightly the lesser to traditional frames under normal riding conditions. Second Triathlete magazine reported on this bike a while back saying that it never did indeed see a tunnel.

I am not saying a tri bike has to do everything to be aerodynamic, I myself am having a tri bike built out of unaero tubes, but like I said it seems odd to go through the effort to make some things aerodynamic only to negate those benefits with something else. If you want to use deep aero tubes, a seat tube cutout and an integrated post; which are probably the big three aerodynamic raves right now take the bike to a wind tunnel and fine tune the rest.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 01:43 PM   #12
bvfrompc
Senior Member
 
bvfrompc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Alright, I'm not trying to come off like a dick, but I did some research to back up my claims. John Cobb took compact frames into a wind tunnel a while back, they did indeed show up slightly the lesser to traditional frames under normal riding conditions. Second Triathlete magazine reported on this bike a while back saying that it never did indeed see a tunnel.

I am not saying a tri bike has to do everything to be aerodynamic, I myself am having a tri bike built out of unaero tubes, but like I said it seems odd to go through the effort to make some things aerodynamic only to negate those benefits with something else. If you want to use deep aero tubes, a seat tube cutout and an integrated post; which are probably the big three aerodynamic raves right now take the bike to a wind tunnel and fine tune the rest.

And in the big picture, it won't really matter to the beginning triathlete, but its fun to decide which bike to buy on a 20 second difference for the top athletes over 40k.
bvfrompc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 03:25 PM   #13
jennings780
Senior Member
 
jennings780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Bikes: '06 Cannondale CAAD8, '04 Cannondale Ironman 2000
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Being on a specialized doesn't seem to slow Peter Reid down any.
Also, the wind resistance of the bike frame itself makes very little difference - even to an elite athlete. I recently read that bike frame wind resistance is 0.8% of overall resistance while cycling.
jennings780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 06:01 PM   #14
Dieter
Senior Member
 
Dieter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As an engineer I have done a few windtunnel tests in the past, though no clients of ours have requested tests on bikes yet. I will see if I can dig up some numbers, but I would be surprised if it wasn't bigger than 0.8%.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 PM.