Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-07, 01:58 PM   #1
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wheel covers?

I can't use wheel covers in TT's because those are now illegal in USCF sanctioned races.

What's the scoop in triathlon? I'm going to do some sanctioned ones in the fall and have no
idea if wheel covers are legal or not in Tri's.

Has anyone here tried them before? How much of an effect do they have compared to a disk wheel
other than not lightening my wallet?
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 02:56 PM   #2
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
I can't use wheel covers in TT's because those are now illegal in USCF sanctioned races.
I don't know why you say that. It's not true. For cycling, wheel covers are only illegal in races run under UCI equipment regulations.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 03:12 PM   #3
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgelle
I don't know why you say that. It's not true. For cycling, wheel covers are only illegal in races run under UCI equipment regulations.
Really? I thought I read somewhere that USCF was going to ban them as well. Do you have some reference
to verify this?
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 03:22 PM   #4
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
Really? I thought I read somewhere that USCF was going to ban them as well. Do you have some reference
to verify this?
The USCF rulebook might be one place to start.

1J(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 03:57 PM   #5
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgelle
The USCF rulebook might be one place to start.

1J(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used
So why has the UCI made these illegal? Why do they care whether the wheel has a cover that's an integral part of the assembly or not?

Do you know anyone who has tried wheel covers?
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 07:04 PM   #6
enamore22
Senior Member
 
enamore22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious too...

"How much of an effect do they have compared to a disk wheel other than not lightening my wallet?"

Anyone?
enamore22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 07:19 PM   #7
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamore22
I'm curious too...

"How much of an effect do they have compared to a disk wheel other than not lightening my wallet?"

Anyone?
There's one set of published data comparing wheel covers to a disk. The data can be purchased from biketechreview.com, and I'm not going to give it away here. Let's just say the consensus is the data shows there is no significant penalty (in the context of the time differences in TT placings) to covers over a disk. On the other hand Zipp has reported that those results were skewed in favor of covers over disks for several reasons and their data show a significant benefit to disks over covers. Before dismissing this as just self-serving by Zipp, it should be noted that no one disputes the factors Zipp brings up as being true and Zipp's data has repeatedly been confirmed by independent tests. As with many things in TT's, it comes down to how fast do you want to go and how much can you spend.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 07:58 PM   #8
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgelle
There's one set of published data comparing wheel covers to a disk. The data can be purchased from biketechreview.com, and I'm not going to give it away here. Let's just say the consensus is the data shows there is no significant penalty (in the context of the time differences in TT placings) to covers over a disk. On the other hand Zipp has reported that those results were skewed in favor of covers over disks for several reasons and their data show a significant benefit to disks over covers. Before dismissing this as just self-serving by Zipp, it should be noted that no one disputes the factors Zipp brings up as being true and Zipp's data has repeatedly been confirmed by independent tests. As with many things in TT's, it comes down to how fast do you want to go and how much can you spend.
That's a good point. When the top placings in some of these races are as small as they are at times, I imagine people will go to all lengths to gain an advantage.

I wonder about cover vs. no cover for the same wheel. Do you have an idea about that?

Last edited by Snicklefritz; 07-08-07 at 08:03 PM.
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 09:12 PM   #9
chrisesposito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Bend, WA
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One advantage to a cover that hasn't been mentioned yet is that so far as I know, you can't get a `real' disc with a Powertap hub, which limits your choices to the much more expensive Ergomo or SRM.

As far as a regular wheel (say my rear training wheel, an American Classic 420) with and without a cover, it will be faster with a cover if the cover is put on correctly. Josh from Zipp had a lengthy post on this on Slowtwitch. If I remember right, two of the things this included were taping over the valve stem hole and sealing / smoothing the edge between the cover and the rim.
__________________
2007 QR Lucero
2005 Cervelo Soloist
chrisesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 10:09 PM   #10
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisesposito
One advantage to a cover that hasn't been mentioned yet is that so far as I know, you can't get a `real' disc with a Powertap hub, which limits your choices to the much more expensive Ergomo or SRM.

As far as a regular wheel (say my rear training wheel, an American Classic 420) with and without a cover, it will be faster with a cover if the cover is put on correctly. Josh from Zipp had a lengthy post on this on Slowtwitch. If I remember right, two of the things this included were taping over the valve stem hole and sealing / smoothing the edge between the cover and the rim.
do you happen to have a link to that post you refer to? I'm interested in the wheel covers since I use the powertap SL and don't want to buy more gadgets on top of a full disc wheel.
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:18 AM   #11
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
do you happen to have a link to that post you refer to? I'm interested in the wheel covers since I use the powertap SL and don't want to buy more gadgets on top of a full disc wheel.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.c...465755#1378686
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.