Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noob question - felt t43

I am looking to do my first two sprint tris in September and the only bike I currently have is a mountain bike. I saw the Felt T43, which seems to be somewhat in the middle of a road and tri bike. Anyone have any experience, reviews, or advice about this bike?

Thanks in Advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the T23, a similar version from last year.

I absolutely love mine - my tri group does a lot of long pack road rides, so the drops are pretty much a necessity while the clip on Profile Design Jammer GT aerobars are great when you need to get down and go.

The carbon forks and rear seat stays are extremely stiff, but the ride is still very comfortable. I've found my Felt to be extremely responsive and stable at speed. The Ultegra groupset is also just fantastic - changes are smooth, solid and responsive.

I really enjoy my ride.

That said, the T43 might be good value for money, but as much as I like Felt I don't really like this bike. It's a significant downgrade from the T23 - I think because in the years it was produced it filled a hole in their road lineup, but roadies didn't notice 'cause it was positioned in the tri market. True trannies would turn their nose up at drops and clipons, preferring a true tri setup.

The T43 lacks the carbon rear stays - so this might mean it's not as stiff and could affect handling, but I don't really know. Also I wouldn't even look at Tiagra for triathlon work - especially if you plan to train a lot. For the kind of punishment that's likely to be dished out I think a minimum of 105 is needed.

Plus, the T43 is a 9-speed.

The T43 (and my own T23) only have a slightly tri geometry - if you're looking for something that is *truly* for triathlons alone, then the S32 is the go. If you want something that's essentially a road bike that you'll do triathlon on, then get a roadie with clipons.

For the money, I think you'd be better off spending an extra $200 on a Felt F75 - far better frame, far better components and for very little extra you can pick the Profile Design clip-ons of your choice.

Bike Sport Michigan really like the F75. As much as I like Felt, I don't think the T43 is a good buy.
    Last edited by kbrookes; 07-16-07 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big thumbs up for the F75 thats what i own and i love it.
    Monstr Healthcare Elite Cycling

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"