Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-07, 09:17 PM   #1
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
Thread Starter
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NBC Coverage of Kona Ironman 2007 - See it?

Did any of you get a chance to see it? A few of my thoughts:

- It seems like Stadler and McCormack really don't like each other. They'll play nicey-nice for the cameras like their sponsors would expect them to, but deep down, they don't really like each other.

- That Christy Worthington (is that her name?) really came out of nowhere. And on a very hot day, she ran the 2nd fastest woman's marathon leg ever. In describing her athletic background, she said that working and traveling made her put on a little weight and she started running to take the weight off. Interesting that she had so much latent talent but didn't discover it until relatively late in life (I think Paula Newby Fraser's story is similar). She's kinda cute and has a nice smile. She's not super cute (like Desiree Ficker), but she's good-looking enough for her to be a sponsor's dream.

- Good for McCormack - he's worked so hard at it, and based on interviews from this year as well as prior years, he really, really wanted it. Nice to see hard work rewarded.

- It was odd to see so many of the women's favorites get taken out for one reason or another.

- What is with that getup that Sinballe was wearing? He said it was supposed to be better at cooling him because of the evaporation. If that's the case, why don't all of the top athletes wear something like this? It seems like an interesting idea in theory, but wouldn't the shirt become water-logged and then form a layer of warm water draped ontop the skin? I'm skeptical that it works the way he says it does, but who knows.

- Did you see the guy consoling the woman who missed the bike cutoff by 4 seconds? I can understand why that woman was in tears, but did that official really have to be so touchy/huggy with her? You're supposed to be an official - try to keep a sense of decorum! Hugging her was kind of creepy.

Did you see the coverage? What did you think?
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 09:21 PM   #2
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest Iowa
Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a migraine going on during the broadcast, so I didn't see much of it, because it really hurt to open my eyes and watch the tv. But I did see one guy (Stadler) vomit repeatedly and then have to quit. I also saw the lady have to answer the question three times to verify that she was done that had a broken collar bone from an accident. I don't know what the accident was, but since she was a leader, I would have like to have heard more about why it happened or how.

This type of coverage is what has put doing an olympic distance tri in my goals for 2008 even though I am a clydsedale.
__________________
2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 09:39 PM   #3
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
Thread Starter
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572 View Post
I had a migraine going on during the broadcast, so I didn't see much of it, because it really hurt to open my eyes and watch the tv. But I did see one guy (Stadler) vomit repeatedly and then have to quit. I also saw the lady have to answer the question three times to verify that she was done that had a broken collar bone from an accident. I don't know what the accident was, but since she was a leader, I would have like to have heard more about why it happened or how.

This type of coverage is what has put doing an olympic distance tri in my goals for 2008 even though I am a clydsedale.
The lady who broke her collar bone is Natascha Baddmann. She's won the race a whole bunch of times. Apparently, she hit a traffic cone and went down hard. She has the reputation as being very cheerful and positive. It's really a shame that this happened to her.

I also noticed that she's ditched her Cat Cheetah bike for a Cervelo. As much as I love Cervelos (own one myself), it was sad to see her make the switch. She's said for many years that sponsors have offered her big bucks to switch but that this was one area she refused to compromise on. I guess that bag of money got too big to say "no" to. Check out the video of her talking about her Cheetah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1homja40U It has a water bladder built into the frame!
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 11:56 PM   #4
voltman
It is fantastic.
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 7,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
The lady who broke her collar bone is Natascha Baddmann. She's won the race a whole bunch of times. Apparently, she hit a traffic cone and went down hard. She has the reputation as being very cheerful and positive. It's really a shame that this happened to her.

I also noticed that she's ditched her Cat Cheetah bike for a Cervelo. As much as I love Cervelos (own one myself), it was sad to see her make the switch. She's said for many years that sponsors have offered her big bucks to switch but that this was one area she refused to compromise on. I guess that bag of money got too big to say "no" to. Check out the video of her talking about her Cheetah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1homja40U It has a water bladder built into the frame!
Did she have the Cervelo from the start? I thought she used a spare Cervelo after wrecking her original bike.
voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 05:33 AM   #5
itri-45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DC Metro
Bikes: Orbea Onix 2005; Ordu 2007
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
I also noticed that she's ditched her Cat Cheetah bike for a Cervelo. As much as I love Cervelos (own one myself), it was sad to see her make the switch. She's said for many years that sponsors have offered her big bucks to switch but that this was one area she refused to compromise on. I guess that bag of money got too big to say "no" to. Check out the video of her talking about her Cheetah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1homja40U It has a water bladder built into the frame!
Didn't you see her at the beginning with the Cheetah? The Cervelo was just a loan because her bike was totally wrecked.
itri-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 07:43 AM   #6
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest Iowa
Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought she got a loaner bike also, as they said something about her crash. Seriously, with the headache I had, I am really not sure of the information I was seeing on the TV and remembering correctly.
__________________
2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 11:54 AM   #7
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
Thread Starter
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltman View Post
Did she have the Cervelo from the start? I thought she used a spare Cervelo after wrecking her original bike.
I missed that part! Nice to see that she hasn't abandon that Cheetah bike. It's too bad about her accident though.
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 12:17 PM   #8
Mahatma Zombie
Senior Member
 
Mahatma Zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA!
Bikes: Custom Beach Cruiser Commuter
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gotta love Sinballe's Michael Jackson Ice Glove...

-Grant
Mahatma Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 12:18 PM   #9
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo
 
Psydotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw most of it. Me and my brother-in-law were both commenting that if we were to survive the swim, we'd probably be laying on the side of the road 30 miles into the bike ride.

That being said, i've still got 3 years to train for my goal of doing an ironman distance event in 2010. (just gotta break into doing olympic distance events first...)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Psydotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 01:53 PM   #10
chrisesposito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Bend, WA
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I burned a copy of the broadcast onto a dual-layer DVD; if anybody wants a copy (for the cost of the media + shipping), let me know.

Chris
__________________
2007 QR Lucero
2005 Cervelo Soloist
chrisesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 03:40 PM   #11
thplmn72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: W. Atlanta
Bikes: Trek 7200,trek t 800,Jamis Quest
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was suprised to see how heavy some of the competetors seemed to be.I mean men and women couple of the early leaders didn't look very thin like you expect
thplmn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 03:42 PM   #12
thplmn72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: W. Atlanta
Bikes: Trek 7200,trek t 800,Jamis Quest
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572 View Post
I thought she got a loaner bike also, as they said something about her crash. Seriously, with the headache I had, I am really not sure of the information I was seeing on the TV and remembering correctly.
hey how do you like your jamis bikes I'm considering buying the vetura race
thplmn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 04:32 PM   #13
head1855
On Your Left!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Bikes: Lemond
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisesposito View Post
I burned a copy of the broadcast onto a dual-layer DVD; if anybody wants a copy (for the cost of the media + shipping), let me know.

Chris
How much for one to the zip code 36695? I caught the last 30 mins of it but want to see the rest. I am pissed because a read when it was coming on off of the IM site about a month ago and made a mental note that I would not miss it. Guess I should have made a paper note
head1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 07:15 PM   #14
Triguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thplmn72 View Post
I was suprised to see how heavy some of the competetors seemed to be.I mean men and women couple of the early leaders didn't look very thin like you expect
It just goes to show that IM is not a run only race. Most long distance triathletes have some amount of bulk to them. Average seems to be about 5'11" and 170 lbs. Not small but not a marathon build.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 10:16 AM   #15
chrisesposito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Bend, WA
Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To those that asked for a copy of the DVD: I'll be home from vacation this Friday, so I should be able to get to all the requests this weekend.

Chris
__________________
2007 QR Lucero
2005 Cervelo Soloist
chrisesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 11:18 AM   #16
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest Iowa
Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thplmn72 View Post
hey how do you like your jamis bikes I'm considering buying the vetura race
The quality of the frame is great and the quality of my LBS is even better. The only reason I am riding Jamis is the LBS. I have the lower end Jamis stuff, as that is all my budget can handle. I have looked at some of the better stuff, but I can't affourd it. I was looking at the "Ventura Race", but I just didn't have the cash.

Good luck with any purchase.
__________________
2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 01:53 PM   #17
thplmn72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: W. Atlanta
Bikes: Trek 7200,trek t 800,Jamis Quest
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572 View Post
The quality of the frame is great and the quality of my LBS is even better. The only reason I am riding Jamis is the LBS. I have the lower end Jamis stuff, as that is all my budget can handle. I have looked at some of the better stuff, but I can't affourd it. I was looking at the "Ventura Race", but I just didn't have the cash.

Good luck with any purchase.
Thanks for the input I think I'm going Jamis also because the shop it's not local perse but they seem to know there stuff and are personable sales guys don't care much for our lbs
thplmn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 02:06 PM   #18
cjbruin
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
- Did you see the guy consoling the woman who missed the bike cutoff by 4 seconds? I can understand why that woman was in tears, but did that official really have to be so touchy/huggy with her? You're supposed to be an official - try to keep a sense of decorum! Hugging her was kind of creepy.
I think you might be mixing it up a bit. I only watched it once but I don't think anyone hugged that woman...I think the hugging was with Sister Madonna. She's the 77 year old nun that is pretty famous in Kona. Last year she became the oldest woman to ever finish the race when she came in at 16:59 (one minute before the official cutoff)...actually she was the previous oldest woman as well since she finished 2005 in around 16 hrs. She's completed somewhere around 12-15 IMs in total.

I suspect that guy knew her. She didn't seem to be put off by the hug from what I saw.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 03:09 PM   #19
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
Thread Starter
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbruin View Post
I think you might be mixing it up a bit. I only watched it once but I don't think anyone hugged that woman...I think the hugging was with Sister Madonna. She's the 77 year old nun that is pretty famous in Kona. Last year she became the oldest woman to ever finish the race when she came in at 16:59 (one minute before the official cutoff)...actually she was the previous oldest woman as well since she finished 2005 in around 16 hrs. She's completed somewhere around 12-15 IMs in total.

I suspect that guy knew her. She didn't seem to be put off by the hug from what I saw.
Damn CJ, you're right. I watched it again last night and I realized that I missed a lot of details. Not surprising, though, as I watched it on my TIVO during the commericial breaks of the Univ. of Hawaii vs. Washington football game. I blame it on the beer.

One more detail I got wrong - the women's winner was Chrissie Wellington, not Christy Worthington.
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 03:17 PM   #20
cjbruin
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...Dude!

When are you going to qualify for Kona? There's lot of Kamahaina spots available at Honu. That would be awesome.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 03:26 PM   #21
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest Iowa
Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thplmn72 View Post
Thanks for the input I think I'm going Jamis also because the shop it's not local perse but they seem to know there stuff and are personable sales guys don't care much for our lbs
I call them my LBS, but they are really 50 miles away, but that is the closest one to me that I will actually go in again. I might go to the TREK store, if someone needed something from there, that I couldn't get at my LBS.
__________________
2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 03:46 PM   #22
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
Thread Starter
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbruin View Post
So...Dude!

When are you going to qualify for Kona? There's lot of Kamahaina spots available at Honu. That would be awesome.
I'm working on it! Realistically though, I stand a better chance of getting a lottery position. I would have qualified if I was a Big Island resident but to qualify as a State of Hawaii resident, it's all but impossible for me. The slowest Hawaii resident 40-44 qualifier finished in 4:42, more than 2 hours faster than me! Maybe I'll move to the Big Island.

Did I read that you're doing IMAZ? That's bad-ass! How's your training coming along?
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:48 AM   #23
StalkerZERO
Senior Member
 
StalkerZERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
Did any of you get a chance to see it? A few of my thoughts:

- She's not super cute (like Desiree Ficker)
Yo dude! Leave meh wo-man alone! Nevermind....she doesn't even know I exist.
StalkerZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 10:25 AM   #24
Canassis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
- It seems like Stadler and McCormack really don't like each other. They'll play nicey-nice for the cameras like their sponsors would expect them to, but deep down, they don't really like each other.
Macca is not the only one who doesn't like Normann. Norm is arrogant, pompous, is generally just not a very nice guy, and is extremely difficult to be around. Macca is the polar oppostite. Fun, lighthearted, nice, affable. He's genuinely a good guy.

Add to his dogmatic personality all of the fall out over last year's race, and Norm calling Macca a cheater, and whatnot, and you have a recipe for a real personality conflict. Macca had something to prove this year. I think he accomplished that...


Just a thought: Because we compete together doesn't mean that I am required to like you. A competitor's goal is to continue to apply a proper beating until the competition quits.
Canassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 10:35 AM   #25
cjbruin
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
Posts: 3,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I don't think Macca is all that popular either. I heard a lot of talk about him at Honu in '06. I think he's viewed as arrogant as well. Personally I think some of it is just jealousy...I didn't speak to him for more than a minute or two be he seems OK to me.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 PM.