Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-08, 01:22 PM   #1
Blaireau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blaireau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First duathlon: I am beat!

Was beaten in fact by countless participants ;-)

I ran 5 miles, rode 32 and ran 5 again. It was the Carrboro Classic, in Carrboro, NC.
It was fun, and speed was not an issue as I underwent major open back surgery last summer.
I figured out that I am now a better biker than runner. Did anyone else participate?
Blaireau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 04:20 PM   #2
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.
 
bcart1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cracklanta, GA
Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's awesome you were out there after a major surgery! I'll be doing a couple sprint tris this summer. Really looking forward to it.

It's a good hurt, right? Right?
bcart1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 02:56 PM   #3
Blaireau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blaireau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcart1991 View Post
It's a good hurt, right? Right?
Right, absolutely.
Strange as it sounds, I really missed that kind of pain!
Blaireau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:51 PM   #4
nscrbug
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL
Bikes:
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on your first duathlon! I did a sprint du many moons ago (1996)..haven't done one since...but will be doing my first sprint tri in June. Just curious...what kind of back surgery did you have...if you care to share? Fusion? Reason I ask, is because I have an ongoing back condition also. Saw a neuro who sent me to physical therapy, which didn't help. He then suggested surgery and I promptly said "no way". That's awesome that you bounced back so quick from major back surgery...don't hear that kind of story too often. I frequent a back pain forum and seems like the majority of folks that go through surgery, end up worse than before they had surgery. Glad it all worked out for you...you're one of the lucky ones.

Linda
nscrbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 12:33 PM   #5
Blaireau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blaireau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
Congrats on your first duathlon! I did a sprint du many moons ago (1996)..haven't done one since...but will be doing my first sprint tri in June. Just curious...what kind of back surgery did you have...if you care to share? Fusion? Reason I ask, is because I have an ongoing back condition also. Saw a neuro who sent me to physical therapy, which didn't help. He then suggested surgery and I promptly said "no way". That's awesome that you bounced back so quick from major back surgery...don't hear that kind of story too often. I frequent a back pain forum and seems like the majority of folks that go through surgery, end up worse than before they had surgery. Glad it all worked out for you...you're one of the lucky ones.

Linda
Yeah, I'd be glad to share. I had a herniated disk. The procedure was called a microdiscectomy. (Not sure about the spelling though.) I did not feel great about the idea at first, but after a year of not being able to walk for more than 35 seconds at a time, I was ready for surgery. Because of UNC chapel Hill hospitals, and the geniuses that work there, I had to wait and endure another year of hell, but eventually got operated on at Duke Hospital.
After 2 weeks of hell, I could walk for a mile. After a month, I could walk for a few hours. I have been doing my PT exercises religiously, keeping my weight down, riding about 60 miles per week and running about 12, and things are much, much better. I am glad I did it.
Blaireau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 05:57 PM   #6
nscrbug
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL
Bikes:
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaireau View Post
Yeah, I'd be glad to share. I had a herniated disk. The procedure was called a microdiscectomy. (Not sure about the spelling though.) I did not feel great about the idea at first, but after a year of not being able to walk for more than 35 seconds at a time, I was ready for surgery. Because of UNC chapel Hill hospitals, and the geniuses that work there, I had to wait and endure another year of hell, but eventually got operated on at Duke Hospital.
After 2 weeks of hell, I could walk for a mile. After a month, I could walk for a few hours. I have been doing my PT exercises religiously, keeping my weight down, riding about 60 miles per week and running about 12, and things are much, much better. I am glad I did it.
That's great!! It's always nice to hear a positive outcome from back surgery. Sounds like you really had a bad herniation. I take it that you had some severe sciatica with only being able to walk 35 seconds...am I correct? Sounds like your recovery went well and you healed up quick...good for you! I have a condition called spondylolisthesis...which is just a fancy term for a slipped vertebra. I have what they refer to as a "grade 2"...or a 50% slippage of my L5. A recent MRI had shown nerve impingement affecting my right leg...it was excruciating...especially first thing in the morning, upon waking up. Oddly enough, running seemed to be the only activity that lessened the pain. I could hardly wait to get to the gym each morning and jump on the treadmill, because I new relief was just moments away. I went through 6 weeks of physical therapy, which did nothing...probably because I was already so active. My next step was to try an epidural injection..but I had heard so many horror stories about them...so I chickened out. Instead, I went and bought myself an inversion table and started using it for 3-5 minutes every morning after I woke up. To my surprise, it seems to be working because my leg pain has diminished considerably. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it's right around a "3"...whereas before using the inversion table, it was about an "8 or 9". So I can't complain too much. Although I still have fairly chronic low back pain, it's tolerable...as long as I keep moving.

Linda
nscrbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 06:04 PM   #7
Blaireau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Blaireau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
That's great!! It's always nice to hear a positive outcome from back surgery. Sounds like you really had a bad herniation. I take it that you had some severe sciatica with only being able to walk 35 seconds...am I correct? Sounds like your recovery went well and you healed up quick...good for you! I have a condition called spondylolisthesis...which is just a fancy term for a slipped vertebra. I have what they refer to as a "grade 2"...or a 50% slippage of my L5. A recent MRI had shown nerve impingement affecting my right leg...it was excruciating...especially first thing in the morning, upon waking up. Oddly enough, running seemed to be the only activity that lessened the pain. I could hardly wait to get to the gym each morning and jump on the treadmill, because I new relief was just moments away. I went through 6 weeks of physical therapy, which did nothing...probably because I was already so active. My next step was to try an epidural injection..but I had heard so many horror stories about them...so I chickened out. Instead, I went and bought myself an inversion table and started using it for 3-5 minutes every morning after I woke up. To my surprise, it seems to be working because my leg pain has diminished considerably. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it's right around a "3"...whereas before using the inversion table, it was about an "8 or 9". So I can't complain too much. Although I still have fairly chronic low back pain, it's tolerable...as long as I keep moving.

Linda
This is interesting Linda. Your symptoms sound somewhat like mine, with pain from the left butt down to my foot. I of course could not run (though it was less painful than walking for some reason) but I could bike, and bike I did.
I went through the epidureal route, got three, got some relief, but it didn't last longer than 2 months...
I would encourage you to consider epidurals and surgery of the later does not work.
In the end it is about what you have to loose. I was in so much pain by may of last year that it was worth it.

Good luck with it, I know its an ordeal. Courage.
Blaireau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 08:34 AM   #8
RacerJRP
Senior Member
 
RacerJRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thats pretty long DU. Congrats!
RacerJRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.