Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So...My First Tri is Coming Up

    I am really stoked and getting excited....my first TRI is April 11
    1/2 Mile Swim
    10 Mile Bike
    4 Mile Run

    Only one problem...........

    I havent started training for swimming.....

    Am I screwed?

    The bike and run isnt an issue for me...and I did some swimming when I was a kid (that was some 25 yrs ago)

    ALSO... any nutrition tips leading up to my big day? Right now I weigh 202lbs (down from 225lbs.) I want to get somewhere around 180-190. Just bought a HR monitor and am going to start training with it this week.

    Thanks alot all!

  2. #2
    Big Mac and No hills. 800over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the swim just start at the back and side of your wave. And make sure you try out your wetsuit at least once if you have one and if not still get some practice in open water. Your heartrate can get up pretty quickly in your first (and second and third...) race so just find your pace and don't worry about everyone else. Tri's can be pretty aggressive so be ready to give yourself room. Oh and bring an extra pair of goggles. That'll make it pretty unlikely that you'll break the strap on the one you're going to wear.

  3. #3
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 800over View Post
    For the swim just start at the back and side of your wave. And make sure you try out your wetsuit at least once if you have one and if not still get some practice in open water. Your heartrate can get up pretty quickly in your first (and second and third...) race so just find your pace and don't worry about everyone else. Tri's can be pretty aggressive so be ready to give yourself room. Oh and bring an extra pair of goggles. That'll make it pretty unlikely that you'll break the strap on the one you're going to wear.
    It'll be in April...so I wont be wearing a wetsuit. Thanks for the positioning tip!

  4. #4
    triathlete? roadie? MTB? caelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April where? Most people wear wetsuits if the water is below 75 degrees or so. I think the USAT limit is 78 degrees. Depending on your temp and location, you might want to look into a wetsuit, you can even rent them, from www.wetsuitrental.com

    I do suggest doing some swimmng before you do the tri, and between now and April is plenty of time to get into swimming shape. 0.5 miles is an easy swim, but if you haven't been in the water since you were a kid, you will be hurting, and possibly get hurt.
    Go Fast By Any Means, my triathlon/motor sports blog

  5. #5
    triathlete? roadie? MTB? caelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, as a suggestion, check out www.beginnertriathlete.com and www.slowtwitch.com for more triathlon specific tips. BF is good for bike stuff, but not so much from triathlon stuff
    Last edited by caelric; 01-06-09 at 11:32 PM.
    Go Fast By Any Means, my triathlon/motor sports blog

  6. #6
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    April where? Most people wear wetsuits if the water is below 75 degrees or so. I think the USAT limit is 78 degrees. Depending on your temp and location, you might want to look into a wetsuit, you can even rent them, from www.wetsuitrental.com

    I do suggest doing some swimmng before you do the tri, and between now and April is plenty of time to get into swimming shape. 0.5 miles is an easy swim, but if you haven't been in the water since you were a kid, you will be hurting, and possibly get hurt.
    St. Pete Florida.

    I guess the good thing is that there is a pool near the area where all the bike riders meet on saturday mornings. I think after my rides I'll just head over to the pool and get some laps in. You, come to think of it....for as long as I've been riding down there I am an absolute moron for not using it............

  7. #7
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    Oh, as a suggestion, check out www.begginertriathlete.com and www.slowtwitch.com for more triathlon specific tips. BF is good for bike stuff, but not so much from triathlon stuff
    been on begginertriathalete.com

    good site, got some programs on it....


    will try slowtwitch.com

    thanks!

  8. #8
    Senior Member dbikingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Spokane/Tri-Cities WA
    My Bikes
    mountain bike, road bike
    Posts
    1,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the correct link http://beginnertriathlete.com/ the site listed above has a typo and takes you to a search engine of sorts.

  9. #9
    triathlete? roadie? MTB? caelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbikingman View Post
    here's the correct link http://beginnertriathlete.com/ the site listed above has a typo and takes you to a search engine of sorts.
    Sorry about that, I suppose I should check my spelling. Anyways, i fixed it.
    Go Fast By Any Means, my triathlon/motor sports blog

  10. #10
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    Sorry about that, I suppose I should check my spelling. Anyways, i fixed it.
    I knew which one you were talking about
    Slowtwitch is pretty cool...alot of articles from races, seems like almost alot more information about what's going on, rather than helping training...although I do like their training log.

  11. #11
    Senior Member 12bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Central FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasandalb View Post
    I am really stoked and getting excited....my first TRI is April 11
    1/2 Mile Swim
    10 Mile Bike
    4 Mile Run

    Only one problem...........

    I havent started training for swimming.....

    Am I screwed?

    The bike and run isnt an issue for me...and I did some swimming when I was a kid (that was some 25 yrs ago)

    ALSO... any nutrition tips leading up to my big day? Right now I weigh 202lbs (down from 225lbs.) I want to get somewhere around 180-190. Just bought a HR monitor and am going to start training with it this week.

    Thanks alot all!
    That would be the Escape From Ft. DeSoto, right? It's a great race to start out with but you should also try to get in a couple of open water swims before the race if you can. Have fun and enjoy the steps on the fort
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

    11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

  12. #12
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bar View Post
    That would be the Escape From Ft. DeSoto, right? It's a great race to start out with but you should also try to get in a couple of open water swims before the race if you can. Have fun and enjoy the steps on the fort
    yes...it is....

    This may sound like a real noob question, but "open water swims".
    basically you mean just get out and swim in the gulf or bay?
    if so, I'm a little nervous with sharks..

  13. #13
    Senior Member 12bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Central FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasandalb View Post
    yes...it is....

    This may sound like a real noob question, but "open water swims".
    basically you mean just get out and swim in the gulf or bay?
    if so, I'm a little nervous with sharks..
    That's correct, if you can get out and swim in the gulf. As for sharks there is really nothing to worry about you stand a better chance of getting hit by a car on the way to the beach than being bitten by a shark. But you also should not swim alone at dawn or dusk that's when they typically feed. If you go to a public beach the life guard is always on the look out for fins and will clear the water if one is spotted. Or swim with a buddy you can't out swim the shark just make sure you can out swim your buddy
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

    11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

  14. #14
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    / \ / \ / \
    | | | | | |

    Thanks...
    I am going to head to northshore pool after my ride tomorrow and get some time and laps in.
    Just hope my back loosens up... underneath my ride shoulder blade, whatever that muscle is, is so tight and sore... tweaked my back lifting my bike back up to its hangers.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the sharks you should worry about - it's the jellyfish.

  16. #16
    Big Mac and No hills. 800over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a wicked summary for what to expect on your first race from the series I enjoy it has lots of great info:

    http://www.trisportcanada.com/beginguide.php

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFINITELY try out your wetsuit first. I made the huge rookie move of not pulling up the shoulders of my full-sleeved wetsuit on race day, and even though it felt ok in the warmup, when I swam about 50 yards out, I immediately noticed that my arms were rapidly fatiguing because the suit was pulling them down. Ended up swimming 2x slower than my regular pace.

    Also, practice sighting a few times in the pool if you can't get any OWS practice beforehand. You'll likely be ALL OVER the course if you don't - I swim straight as an arrow in the pool, even with eyes closed, but OWS is a different animal.

    I'd say be prepared to accept a disastrous swim, but definitely feel great if it works out ok! That way, you won't be so demoralized in the 1st leg that you drop out early. I almost DNF'd on my horrendous swim since I knew I was so much slower than I had ever imagined, but fortunately, I stuck with it and had a great, fun bike and run.

    And FYI, I swam almost 3:00min/100m on race day, coming in near dead last on my swim, despite a lot of pool practice. (I routinely swam 1:50-1:55/100m x 60 mins in the pool nonstop.) You could backfloat faster than that, and I still ended up with a fun day an a respectable top 20% finish after the bike and run. Get out there and have a blast!
    =======================================
    Cervelo P2C Dura-Ace 2008

  18. #18
    Senior Member TromboneAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far, Far Northern California
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Posts
    2,867
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a triathlon of that distance a few years ago, but did sidestroke and breaststroke for the swim. I'm going to do one this August, and decided to get good at doing the crawl for long distances.

    Here are the links that have made an incredible difference for me after only a few swim training sessions:

    Great video

    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...d-you-can-too/

    http://www.totalimmersion.net/images...yle-manual.pdf
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

  19. #19
    C3 H6 O3 ACID jasandalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Old Peoplesville
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant thank you all enough for the tremendous advice.

    I am not so much worried about my time, as I am with accomplishing one of my goals this year... doing one. Once I get this one under my belt, my next planned one is in August.

    So...from this week I have 12wks until my first...then after that, it'll be 16wks until my next (august).
    I'll shoot for a better finish in August.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •