Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stupid noob question... how/ where do you change shorts

    Ok, so Iím a total noob. I have just signed up for my first Tri, and just started training. My dumb question of the day (Iím sure there will be more) is; where do you change from your swim trunks to your bike shorts or bike shorts to running gear. Is there a place to change? Do you just use a towel or something? Bare Arse it? Just one of the many thoughts running through my head.

    Thanks,

    Fred

  2. #2
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing my first triathlons this year too. Look up triathlon suits and wetsuits. Personally I'm leaning towards skirtsports transition line because I really enjoy running in a skirt but I'm a woman so I'm not going to reccomend that to you.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  3. #3
    Body by Guinness cjbruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tri Shorts. You wear them for the entire race. If you're doing a full IM distance, you will probably want to change after the swim but there are changing tents for that.
    Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.

  4. #4
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap, wear your cycling/tri shorts for the swim or under your wetsuit. If you're donig a sprint distance race, they'll dry off halfway through the run.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  5. #5
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    Yeap, wear your cycling/tri shorts for the swim or under your wetsuit. If you're donig a sprint distance race, they'll dry off halfway through the run.
    Great I get to cycle then run feeling like I peed myself. Joyous rapture. I really have no modesty so Maybe I'll just drop trow and change.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  6. #6
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi**{ie View Post
    Great I get to cycle then run feeling like I peed myself. Joyous rapture. I really have no modesty so Maybe I'll just drop trow and change.
    Well if you use Tri specific shorts, they usually have a thinner pad that dries pretty fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  7. #7
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    Well if you use Tri specific shorts, they usually have a thinner pad that dries pretty fast.

    Even better a wet depends. Fantastic. You boys just want me to drop trow in the transition area I see how it is.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  8. #8
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi**{ie View Post
    Even better a wet depends. Fantastic. You boys just want me to drop trow in the transition area I see how it is.


    As much as i'd like to be able to appreciate the view, after coming out of the water i'm usually in a mild state of delirium while i'm stumbling through the transition area to my bicycle...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, let me get this straight… you swim and get the pad on your arse soaking wet. Then you bike with your still wet (and probably squishy) bum, and then you run for miles wearing your diaper? Is this like when we screw with the new guy at work? You know- “get us two large coffees, a bacon egg and cheese, a bagel with butter… and a buttfor”. Is this some tri-athlete joke or right of passage? “Hey- let’s see if we can get the new guy to run his first Tri is a soggy diaper.” “He he he!”

  10. #10
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DogBonz View Post
    So, let me get this straight… you swim and get the pad on your arse soaking wet. Then you bike with your still wet (and probably squishy) bum, and then you run for miles wearing your diaper? Is this like when we screw with the new guy at work? You know- “get us two large coffees, a bacon egg and cheese, a bagel with butter… and a buttfor”. Is this some tri-athlete joke or right of passage? “Hey- let’s see if we can get the new guy to run his first Tri is a soggy diaper.” “He he he!”
    Nope. No joke. Like cjbruin said, the only legit time to really change shorts is for a full Ironman distance race.

    Hopping on the bike while dripping wet is something you kinda have to get used to.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your adrenaline is pumping, you're hot, sweaty, and that water squeezes out of the pad which is small and tight to your body. You honestly don't even notice the wetness and even if you do it dries out (or is replaced with sweat) by the time you're done.
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  12. #12
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
    Your adrenaline is pumping, you're hot, sweaty, and that water squeezes out of the pad which is small and tight to your body. You honestly don't even notice the wetness and even if you do it dries out (or is replaced with sweat) by the time you're done.
    If its chilly my arthritis sure as hell will notice hehe.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  13. #13
    runnin' down a dream edbikebabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    My Bikes
    Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.
    Posts
    2,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually illegal to get nekkid during a race - so I'd avoid doing that unless you want a big DQ beside your name.

    I have tri shorts. People wear them for a reason - they work.

  14. #14
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edbikebabe View Post
    It's actually illegal to get nekkid during a race - so I'd avoid doing that unless you want a big DQ beside your name.

    I have tri shorts. People wear them for a reason - they work.
    I'm sure if i chose to I can find away to change without showing my bits
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  15. #15
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually if you load up with tons of assos chamois cream your taint will survive the entire tri
    much better off. can't ride so well on wet crotch, but you can ride excellent on a greased up one
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  16. #16
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    can't ride so well on wet crotch, but you can ride excellent on a greased up one
    There is so much I could say about this *snickers*
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (just outside Memphis)
    My Bikes
    2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my first tri in a knee-long speedo swimsuit. It was fine during the run but my crotch really hurt about midway through the bike.

    I WILL be getting a pair of tri shorts this year.

  18. #18
    triathlete? roadie? MTB? caelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi**{ie View Post
    I'm doing my first triathlons this year too. Look up triathlon suits and wetsuits. Personally I'm leaning towards skirtsports transition line because I really enjoy running in a skirt but I'm a woman so I'm not going to reccomend that to you.
    I don't know, I looked at their website, and I just might look kind of cute running down the tri course in a skirtsports outfit....

    On a serious note, a real pair of tri shorts will dri so fast you won't even notice it. And there is some chamois cream out there which is almost completely waterproof that you put on before you even start the swim, and it will stay on you throughout the entire race. It's super thick, almost like silicon grease. Anyways, the point is that tri shorts really do work.
    Go Fast By Any Means, my triathlon/motor sports blog

  19. #19
    Light-Weight by Design Pi}{ie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    TCR Carbon Limited
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    I don't know, I looked at their website, and I just might look kind of cute running down the tri course in a skirtsports outfit....

    On a serious note, a real pair of tri shorts will dri so fast you won't even notice it. And there is some chamois cream out there which is almost completely waterproof that you put on before you even start the swim, and it will stay on you throughout the entire race. It's super thick, almost like silicon grease. Anyways, the point is that tri shorts really do work.
    I think the shorts they sell are tri shorts. If not I can always get some short little zoots to put under mah skirt. I always run 5ks in skirts . I train in skirts too. They are so much more comfortable than running shorts for me. Plus spandex makes me feel so barren so it gives me a little more modesty.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ixie/pixie.gif

    It is through Challenging Ourselves that We Achieve Our Greatest Rewards.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanna go "old school," just swim, bike and run in your Speedo.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only January 13th and this has already made my list for favorite posts of the year. Which is more silly, that I wear the same shorts to swim, then bike, then run in; or that I never thought to ask, are you serious?

    But seriously, I bought an entry level pair of Pearl Izumi tri shorts and was surprised at how comfortable I was on swim/bike/run.

  22. #22
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi**{ie View Post
    Even better a wet depends. Fantastic. You boys just want me to drop trow in the transition area I see how it is.
    boy, this thread sure spun out of control
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're doing a sprint distance, you could just throw your bike shorts over your swimming suit. But anything longer and I think the swimsuit is going to cut into your skin down there. Which is a whole 'nother set of problems.

    I tried body glide down there once, and slid right off my bike seat trying to hop on. I screamed silently inside. But it's okay. The spectators all obviously thought my tears were tears of victory.

  24. #24
    Me!! KyleOndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tissuedigester View Post
    I tried body glide down there once, and slid right off my bike seat trying to hop on. I screamed silently inside. But it's okay. The spectators all obviously thought my tears were tears of victory.
    This is the first post that made me laugh out loud in a while.

  25. #25
    Senior Member dbikingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Spokane/Tri-Cities WA
    My Bikes
    mountain bike, road bike
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tissuedigester View Post
    If you're doing a sprint distance, you could just throw your bike shorts over your swimming suit. But anything longer and I think the swimsuit is going to cut into your skin down there. Which is a whole 'nother set of problems.

    I tried body glide down there once, and slid right off my bike seat trying to hop on. I screamed silently inside. But it's okay. The spectators all obviously thought my tears were tears of victory.
    I've never used body glide, but I thought it was used on the inside of the shorts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •