A friend of mine's wife is wanting to put on a 5K race for their school late this summer and she asked me for a bunch of ideas and advice. I gave her what I could from my limited experience but to her it was a truck load and now she wants me to organize the thing. I would like to but my major concern is that I live about 200 miles away from where it will take place and secondly I have never organized a race before. She does already have clearance from the local police jurisdiction to hold a race, so that hurdle is clear.
So, here are my questions for those that have organized races before:
1) How much time will I need to devote to this project?
2) What are the essentials for a 5K? Volunteers, fire, police ambulance, vending, etc.
3) What is a good fee for a new race?
4) Would she be better off with an established race organizing group? What would they charge?
5) If I do this what should I charge?
I know there is a lot to this and I want to help so any help you can provide would be great.