Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dundalk, Ireland.
Bikes: Nothing too special - a Globe Sport, I think it's called. It's a hybrid.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, this sucks
I was doing well with training when lo and behold, my dear throat decided to throw a spanner in the works. I got a peritonsillar abscess, better known as a quinsy, which landed me in hospital for three days. I asked the ENT specialist whether I could exercise while on the antibiotics (which I'm taking for another week), and he said yes. He also said my body has taken a huge knock with the infection, that it will take me a few weeks to fully recover, and that I will have to take it easy for a while to come, because quinsys can recur. I asked if I can still do the race on 21 March, the second duathlon in that series, which I'd been looking forward to enormously. The doctor said: "You won't have the energy."
I got back home yesterday afternoon, and indeed felt as if I'd raced a train over 100km, wearing lead boots. Today I went to gym, just to sit in the steam room and in the jacuzzi for a while and get the stiffness from my muscles. I felt so much better. I bought a super-duper tonic to help my body recover. My mind tells me I should decide now to skip the duathlon, there's a whole season ahead. My heart is crying huge tears and keeps saying: "It's not as if he said you shouldn't do it, he just said you won't have the energy. What if you do?" I didn't mention to him how much training I'd been doing already, maybe if I had he would have said something different?
Ach, I'm probably being an idiot. But it's such a horrible disappointment. I was going to do the same race I'd tackled with my hybrid and little fitness, this time with my brand new road bike (which I'm still hoping to get on 11 March) and quite a bit more training behind me. I was so excited to see what a difference it would make if I addressed a few time-wasters I'd identified as well. I'm really taking this hard. Reluctant to contact the club and volunteer to marshal instead, as that would be committing myself to not racing. Which is exactly why I should do it.
Tomorrow. I'll still agonise over the decision the rest of today, but really, the sensible thing to do is to sit this one out.
F**k. This really sucks.