Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best makes of kids bikes?

    Hi all ,

    Just moved here from the US and need to get a 20" boys bike, so was wondering if there were any makes of bike that people would recommend and similarly, avoid?

    I want to get a bike with gears, probably no more than 6 though.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea what the best is (other than avoid argos/wally-mart/catalog store bikes) but you could try taking child into one of the following and talking to the sales guys there

    Condor Cycles (quite possibly the best bike shop in London) - http://www.condorcycles.com/contactus.html

    Brixton cycles (has a very good reputation) - http://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/find_us.html

    Do NOT go near Evans cycles.

    edit: working on the assumption your username is where you've settled for the interim, i.e., greater London area.
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks markhr.

    Yeah south west London area, but I'll go where I need to go to get it. I used to live round the corner from Brixton Cycles 10+ years ago, glad to see they're still doing well.

    Condor doesn't have kids bikes on its website ans the bikes it does have a little more expensive than I had planned on spending - don't really want to spend more on his bike than I did on my Bianchi hybrid, but I appreciate the advice.

    Anyone have any opinion on FreeSpirit bikes?

  4. #4
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, it was a lucky guess then.

    Be aware that Condor has MANY more bikes (makes, models and prices) in stock than on their website.

    If anything, both LBS' websites kind of suck when compared to some of the larger chains.

    However what they lack in whiz-bang websites they make up for in knowledge, skill/expertise and good, old fashioned, service; something the larger chains definitely don't offer.

    One suggestion for the larger chains is using them as a dressing/fitting room before going to a real bike shop to make the order/purchase.
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks markhr. I might pay one of the a visit tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North West, England
    My Bikes
    Jamis Ventura Comp, An old Ribble Audax
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with evans cycles?
    From past experience its been very good to me..

    Quote Originally Posted by markhr View Post
    No idea what the best is (other than avoid argos/wally-mart/catalog store bikes) but you could try taking child into one of the following and talking to the sales guys there

    Condor Cycles (quite possibly the best bike shop in London) - http://www.condorcycles.com/contactus.html

    Brixton cycles (has a very good reputation) - http://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/find_us.html

    Do NOT go near Evans cycles.

    edit: working on the assumption your username is where you've settled for the interim, i.e., greater London area.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Matt Gaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel.lansley View Post
    What is wrong with evans cycles?
    From past experience its been very good to me..
    Expensive, staff are not always that knowledgable, etc.

    However, you're right, if you need something, chances are they'll have it and they stock some good stuff. My girlfriend got her bike from there (work's cycle to work scheme required it to be purchased from Evans) and they spent plenty of time with fitting etc. so I guess it's a bit pot luck.
    Matt
    2010 Kinesis Decade Convert2 Alloy fixie, Miche, Sora Pics soon...
    2008 Kinesis RC2 Scandium/Carbon Road, Ultegra, Ksyrium Elites Pics
    2007 Kinesis Pha5e Scandium hardtail, XT, Revelations, Rockets, M4s, Mavics Pics
    2005 Kinesis RC Scandium/Carbon Road, Ultegra, Ksyrium SLs Pics
    1996 Raleigh Max Steel, Deore XT, SRAM Attack shifters, homemade wheels Pics

  8. #8
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel.lansley View Post
    What is wrong with evans cycles?
    From past experience its been very good to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt View Post
    Expensive, staff are not always that knowledgable, etc.

    However, you're right, if you need something, chances are they'll have it and they stock some good stuff. My girlfriend got her bike from there (work's cycle to work scheme required it to be purchased from Evans) and they spent plenty of time with fitting etc. so I guess it's a bit pot luck.
    Unfortunately my experience and the majority of consumer reviews I've read rate the service/knowledge/skill as, at best, abysmal. As with any generalisation there are exceptions though.
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Matt Gaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markhr View Post
    Unfortunately my experience and the majority of consumer reviews I've read rate the service/knowledge/skill as, at best, abysmal. As with any generalisation there are exceptions though.
    Yeah, I would second that the reviews you read and the majority of experiences I've had where a discussion of anything technical has ensued are not good.
    Matt
    2010 Kinesis Decade Convert2 Alloy fixie, Miche, Sora Pics soon...
    2008 Kinesis RC2 Scandium/Carbon Road, Ultegra, Ksyrium Elites Pics
    2007 Kinesis Pha5e Scandium hardtail, XT, Revelations, Rockets, M4s, Mavics Pics
    2005 Kinesis RC Scandium/Carbon Road, Ultegra, Ksyrium SLs Pics
    1996 Raleigh Max Steel, Deore XT, SRAM Attack shifters, homemade wheels Pics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •