Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Every girl needs an xtracycle

    Ever since I got my first one, Sara has been hinting heavily that she would like one. Since it means that she can go to the grocery store on her own now, I happily obliged.
    Getting built now. More photos on my site


  2. #2
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos! I was just in Whistler and WA, so I recognized some of the locations. You should post up the final xtra-cycle shot of the new bike...
    Last edited by pinkrobe; 11-03-06 at 12:11 PM.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  3. #3
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are they on the site? I'd like to see that. It might give my girl ideas too.


    Hey, you think if you padded the snapdeck, it could be a makeout mobile?

  4. #4
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Nice photos! I was just in Whistler and WA, so I recognized some of the locations. You should post up the final xtra-cycle shot of the new bike...
    will do


    Sammyboy - more photos here for now. Ill have a gallery up when its all finished etc

    http://www.bikerubbish.com/gracious


    I'm sure something could be rigged

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gibbygoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!

    This has been my desktop for several days now...

  6. #6
    Senior Member kjmillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Displaced Texan
    My Bikes
    1984 Raliegh Wyoming, 1978 Schwinn Traveller, 2011 Wheeler Trekking Lite 3600
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is this thing practicle for regular commuting on a road bike? Do they have a website?

  7. #7
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, kjmillig. I ride mine all the time.

    www.xtracycle.com is their site, as per your request.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazos River valley, south central TX
    My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre
    It is, kjmillig. I ride mine all the time.

    www.xtracycle.com is their site, as per your request.
    I've been eyeing the Xtracycle as a commuter add-on to my Giant steel MTB. But for the life of me, I can't quite figure out how the thing attaches to a frame...does it all fit once you've taken the rear wheel off? Like it somehow bolts to your existing frame and, with chain adjustments, etc. you just have extended your bike 30" with all the rack business?

    I really like the way it looks, the possibilities for running errands and the whole concept of the SUB. But as a primitive wrencher, I'm intimidated by not quite understanding how the thing works. And the Xtracycle website doesn't really explain that part...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

  9. #9
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    I've been eyeing the Xtracycle as a commuter add-on to my Giant steel MTB. But for the life of me, I can't quite figure out how the thing attaches to a frame...does it all fit once you've taken the rear wheel off? Like it somehow bolts to your existing frame and, with chain adjustments, etc. you just have extended your bike 30" with all the rack business?

    I really like the way it looks, the possibilities for running errands and the whole concept of the SUB. But as a primitive wrencher, I'm intimidated by not quite understanding how the thing works. And the Xtracycle website doesn't really explain that part...
    Rumor has it that the site will be updated and a little clearer on that and some other points in the near future. In the meantime let me put your fears to rest by saying that you will love it

    These are some shots I took when I got my first one. I'll have some better photos soon.






    clients(not me)




    There is a ton more photos on my site. Either in the galleries or if you go to the journal and type xtracycle in, it will pull up a bunch. Check out one in person if you can, you will be sold

  10. #10
    Retro-nerd georgiaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Morningside - Atlanta
    My Bikes
    2002 Cannondale Badboy, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    1,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about starting a thread "Every guy needs a girl with an extracycle"?
    Would you like a dream with that?

  11. #11
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an extra frame lying around that I could use to get to the trailhead in town, ~10km away. This is a fantastic idea:
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazos River valley, south central TX
    My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found the owner's manual .pdf posted on the Xtracycle FAQ in answer to someone's question about proper strapping of the bags...the diagrams showed me pretty much everything I had been wondering about...

    thnx,

    Woody
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

  13. #13
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bolt on accessory and can be removed from the bike and the bike restored to its original configuration without damage. They are very nice when you want do loaded touring and that sort of thing. Another similar bolt on accessory like the Xtracycle is this any bike to trike kit.

  14. #14
    Dominatrikes sbhikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Still in Santa Barbara
    My Bikes
    Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
    Posts
    4,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been interested in an xtracycle. I finally found a store in town that had one so I went down to see it. The shop owner had a bike of his own with the xtracycle kit as well as the kit for sale. He had obviously left his own xtracycle outside. The wooden platform was all scorched and peeling from the sun. The canvas was all faded. The one he had for sale didn't look much better. I took a pass.

    That trike thing is a kick, but it must weigh a ton with all those excessive spokes and all that metal. For a real cargo trike, I like the Hase Lepus with the cargo area in the rear. Saw one in person. It was really fun to ride, too. http://www.hasebikes.com/ens/lepus/index.php
    ~Diane
    Recumbents: Lightning Thunderbolt, '06 Catrike Pocket. Upright: Trek Mountain Bike.
    8.5 mile commute. I like bike lanes.

  15. #15
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes
    I had been interested in an xtracycle. I finally found a store in town that had one so I went down to see it. The shop owner had a bike of his own with the xtracycle kit as well as the kit for sale. He had obviously left his own xtracycle outside. The wooden platform was all scorched and peeling from the sun. The canvas was all faded. The one he had for sale didn't look much better. I took a pass.

    That trike thing is a kick, but it must weigh a ton with all those excessive spokes and all that metal. For a real cargo trike, I like the Hase Lepus with the cargo area in the rear. Saw one in person. It was really fun to ride, too. http://www.hasebikes.com/ens/lepus/index.php
    Interesting theory- if the owner doesn't take care of his, you won't buy one?

    I missed your post the first time relayer- cool! haha

  16. #16
    Senior Member Shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay.. remind me again WHY one would want to do this?

    Seems a Burley or Bob trailer would serve the purpose much better.

    Are we simply novelty prone when it comes to putting bike wheels on odd metal sculptures?
    Today is a great day to ride!

  17. #17
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman
    Okay.. remind me again WHY one would want to do this?

    Seems a Burley or Bob trailer would serve the purpose much better.

    Are we simply novelty prone when it comes to putting bike wheels on odd metal sculptures?
    Because it handles better. I've seen xtracycles in somepretty crazy derbies, with people riding on the back trying to knock the other riders off. No way you could do that with a trailer. You can also arry them up stairs a lot easier.

    I want to get one sometime, but I don't have the money or non-fixie bike to convert...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put 100lbs of sand on an xtracycle and in a trailer behind a bike. Ride them both down a nice steep hill and then slam on the brakes. After you've done that, comeback and report your results. That is, if you survive doing the trailer part ofthe experiment.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK
    '12 Gravity Zilla, '12 Giant Talon 29'r, '88 Jamis Quest, Redline 9.2.5 (wrecked), Steyr Clubman, Raleigh Technium, GT Hardtail, DK Signal, Eastern Shovelhead

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazos River valley, south central TX
    My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Surly Big Dummy

    appears that Surly is coming out with a bike that will replicate? improve? compete with? imitate? the Xtracycle retrofit: it's called the Big Dummy

    Surlyblog discussion on Wed., Nov 1st found http://www.surlybikes.com/surlyblog.html

    Interesting comment about the handling of the prototype Big Dummy vs. the Xtracycle (in Surly's preliminary opinion, of course) under loaded conditions...

    My thought: if the retrofit Xtracycle is $ 399 including panniers, what price will the Big Dummy have to be to compete? Or will they just sell a Big Dummy frame?
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

  20. #20
    Dominatrikes sbhikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Still in Santa Barbara
    My Bikes
    Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
    Posts
    4,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAH
    Interesting theory- if the owner doesn't take care of his, you won't buy one?
    No, that's not it. It just didn't look like they wear well. If you rode to work everyday and parked in the sun or the fog (like I do) I was afraid it just wouldn't last very long before it looked like a piece of junk.
    ~Diane
    Recumbents: Lightning Thunderbolt, '06 Catrike Pocket. Upright: Trek Mountain Bike.
    8.5 mile commute. I like bike lanes.

  21. #21
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes

    That trike thing is a kick, but it must weigh a ton with all those excessive spokes and all that metal. http://www.hasebikes.com/ens/lepus/index.php
    You can purchase just the trike frame and use your own wheels. These trike kits show up regularly through the years. Sort of a fad thing I guess. I have seen old version trike kits using 26" balloon wheels and 27" wheels and space for multi-speed freewheels on the jackshaft. They tend to be collector's items and sell for way too much money in my opinion.

  22. #22
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman
    Okay.. remind me again WHY one would want to do this?

    Seems a Burley or Bob trailer would serve the purpose much better.

    Are we simply novelty prone when it comes to putting bike wheels on odd metal sculptures?

    Because it's a fantastic, well thought out product that does the job(hauling things) better than either of the ones you mentioned.
    Try one. I was skeptical until I did and now have 3...

  23. #23
    Senior Member BikeManDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAH
    Because it's a fantastic, well thought out product that does the job(hauling things) better than either of the ones you mentioned.
    Try one. I was skeptical until I did and now have 3...
    I don't doubt any of this but I just can't spend the scratch for it
    I'm the type like I'm sure many others here where their bike is worth but a fourth of the cost of the xtracycle itself

  24. #24
    BAH
    BAH is offline
    Senior Member BAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Centralia, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoloz
    I don't doubt any of this but I just can't spend the scratch for it
    I'm the type like I'm sure many others here where their bike is worth but a fourth of the cost of the xtracycle itself
    sure, I was just answering Shaman's courteous inquiry about the validity of the xtracycle over other trailers.


    Centex - xtracycle and surly are working together with this project.


    sbhikes - Yeah I know what you meant, it just sounded a little funny so I commented I can't reply on how it stands up under harsh conditions etc as I take pretty good care of my gear.

  25. #25
    \,,/(^_^)\,,/ new_dharma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Surly 1x1 Xtracycle, '01 Haro Flair Dave Mirra
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    appears that Surly is coming out with a bike that will replicate? improve? compete with? imitate? the Xtracycle retrofit: it's called the Big Dummy

    Surlyblog discussion on Wed., Nov 1st found http://www.surlybikes.com/surlyblog.html

    Interesting comment about the handling of the prototype Big Dummy vs. the Xtracycle (in Surly's preliminary opinion, of course) under loaded conditions...

    My thought: if the retrofit Xtracycle is $ 399 including panniers, what price will the Big Dummy have to be to compete? Or will they just sell a Big Dummy frame?
    the Big Dummy is a Surly frame made for the Xtracycle...I have an Xtracycle on my 1X1 and it was a PAIN to mount (the chainstay bridge was too close to the bottombracket)...but now I love it (my 1X1 w/Xtracycle).
    You know you're getting old when you look at a beautiful 19-year-old girl and you find yourself thinking, "Gee, I wonder what her mother looks like?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •