Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Utility Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/)
-   -   The post your trailer thread. (http://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/326435-post-your-trailer-thread.html)

pennyfarmer 08-09-12 07:00 AM

Thanks.

I think I am going to make a youtube video today about it. I used one of those kids trailers with the plastic tub on it. Those are good trailers cause you can take the axle off and the hitch is the most robust hitch assembly I have ever used.

When I say this is my second trailer, its my second one I have modified. This one is certainly more custom than my last one.

pennyfarmer 08-09-12 07:43 PM

This video is mostly about my canoe trailer but it has a short spot about my other trailers.


Thulsadoom 08-10-12 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennyfarmer (Post 14587587)
This video is mostly about my canoe trailer but it has a short spot about my other trailers.


Thanks very much for the video, Pennyfarmer. Very cool set-up. I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing since I've got a spot 5-6 miles down the road I'd like to tow my canoe. The conduit between the tow bar and the frame is a good idea. I'm on the look out at local garage sales for trailers...

Fasteryoufool 08-11-12 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gna (Post 14577675)
I modified an old Burley trailer. I was going to modify it the way Adamdz did his, but took the easy way out.

I used leftover plywood and paint to make a flatbed, bolting it to the frame. I added t-nuts and bolts to hold the bin on. I can easily remove the bin if I wish.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/DSCN2336.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...0/DSCN2337.jpg

I left the cage to attach bungees to. I'd like to find a stroller kit, so I can use it off the bike.

That looks awfully familiar...

badmother 08-12-12 05:26 PM

"I'd like to find a stroller kit, so I can use it off the bike."

What about just using a 16" fork w front wheel from a kids bike for the front wheel and bend the tubes yourself for the "handlebar"? Look at youtube for bending tubes.

gna 08-14-12 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool (Post 14594488)
That looks awfully familiar...

Yup: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14338649

Rx Rider 08-15-12 12:58 AM

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...4&d=1345006807

a Burley utility trailer with pvc siderail insert and floor protector, covered with plastic trellis. the "tailgate" swings back and forth. took advantage of the excavator parked in the street for a backdrop. don't tell my Bianchi it's a station wagon.

djyak 08-27-12 05:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=269618http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=269619http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=269620

Here's my grocery-go-getter. I use at as often as possible to run downtown for groceries. Way faster than the vehicle, avoiding all the traffic. The only thing I had to pay for was the metal grate that is for the floor, and that was only 5 Euro. My neighbor gave me the trailer, which I repainted, and I already had the totes.

bosuch 08-27-12 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my really simple one. Started with a generic kid-hauler and added some inexpensive pine decking. I did replace the clamp-on hitch with an axle mount hitch for $12 from Amazon, that was the most expensive component.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=269717

Bill

djyak 08-28-12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosuch (Post 14658624)
Here's my really simple one. Started with a generic kid-hauler and added some inexpensive pine decking. I did replace the clamp-on hitch with an axle mount hitch for $12 from Amazon, that was the most expensive component.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=269717

Bill

I love it when the use far outweighs the price! I use my converted kid hauler all the time now, and my neighbor is on the look out for one for himself.

Sixty Fiver 08-28-12 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool (Post 14594488)
That looks awfully familiar...

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...18trailer1.JPG

abxba 08-29-12 11:28 AM

My New Trailer
 
2 Attachment(s)
I started with a well used Schwinn kid trailer, stripped it down to the frame, then bolted and screwed some scrap wood to it to support a plastic cargo bin. The two gray ones I screwed to the cross pieces were the only thing I had. I plan to find bigger containers that will cover the available space on the trailer. I'll probably still go with two because it's easier to manage the load with compartments. I'll also add something for visibility on the back.

trrubicon06 09-08-12 02:40 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7...555db1cf_c.jpg

atomiczombie 11-15-12 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=283936

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=283937

Suspended electric cargo trailer. Hubmotor overvolted from 36 volts to 48 volts. Multiple hitches for upright or recumbent bikes.

Brad

bent4me 11-19-12 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Needed some landscape tires.

Reynolds 11-19-12 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bent4me (Post 14963443)
Needed some landscape tires.

As said before... nice, but try not to brake too hard! :)

bjjoondo 01-17-13 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to updating my utility trailer, frame mounted cross bars both vert. and horz., 4 bolt attachment, instead of 2 bolt, repaint, new 50 Gal. tub. Took it out for a test run and it worked great, not a bit bouncy or nosiey! :)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=294116http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=294117

bjjoondo 02-09-13 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Same trailer as above but set up for "hauling a bicycle" to the LBS! :)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=298404

Mauriceloridans 02-14-13 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=299324

I mounted a fork clamp to the front tube with U bolts through grooved wood.

bjjoondo 02-15-13 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauriceloridans (Post 15273407)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=299324

I mounted a fork clamp to the front tube with U bolts through grooved wood.

Sweet, sadly I don't have the skills or tools to "groove" the wood, that's a nice touch! :)

JoeyBike 02-20-13 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=300603

Like towing a race car with a pickup truck.

Same as above...U-bolts, wood, fork block.

Doohickie 07-08-13 05:53 PM

Now THIS is a trailer (not mine). It's owned by the Fort Worth bikeshare folks and they use it for redistributing bikes between stations.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...66386809_o.jpg

Ya Tu Sabes 08-26-13 01:21 PM

My friend who is a radio producer puts on a radio-themed, live variety show every few months, with readings, musical performances, and the like. Most recently, she did a show around the concept "Buried," so there were bits about root vegetables, funerals, cicadas, etc. She got my band to compose and play a funeral dirge, and while we marched in playing, some other people walked behind us carrying a coffin that another friend built for the occasion. After the show, I asked if I could keep the coffin (which is about five feet long).

After breaking an old Burley kid-hauler into its component parts and bolting them securely to the coffin, I now have the Coffin Cart:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/9...d5fe8e88_z.jpg

It's big enough to carry both my children (6 and 9) and some packages, or band equipment, or an adult friend. When I had it parked outside the Laundromat, the lady who works there told me that people were crossing themselves as they walked by it.

thedragonslayer 08-27-13 10:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is my trailer. I got a skeleton trailer from a friend of mine last Friday and yesterday I made a new platform and rails for it and this morning I made a removable roof so that I can use it to take my blind, diabetic dog to the dog park. She loved it and with a gate that swings, it was easy for her to get in and get out. I used light weight pine for most of the construction and it weighs about 30 pounds. With the roof off, it is a cart.

chaadster 09-02-13 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ya Tu Sabes (Post 16000884)
My friend who is a radio producer puts on a radio-themed, live variety show every few months, with readings, musical performances, and the like. Most recently, she did a show around the concept "Buried," so there were bits about root vegetables, funerals, cicadas, etc. She got my band to compose and play a funeral dirge, and while we marched in playing, some other people walked behind us carrying a coffin that another friend built for the occasion. After the show, I asked if I could keep the coffin (which is about five feet long).

After breaking an old Burley kid-hauler into its component parts and bolting them securely to the coffin, I now have the Coffin Cart:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/9...d5fe8e88_z.jpg

It's big enough to carry both my children (6 and 9) and some packages, or band equipment, or an adult friend. When I had it parked outside the Laundromat, the lady who works there told me that people were crossing themselves as they walked by it.

Morbid, but a refreshing break from the common, uninspired, utility trailers we usually see!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.