Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-09, 09:03 AM   #1
mojopt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mojopt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New "old" grocery getter...

Hello to all. This is my first post to Utility Cycling. I just finished my grocery getter.

The reason it is new "old" is it was a ten speed that was won in the mid 90's and sat in a basement until a month ago. A good friend gave it to me since he knew I was into bikes. It is an old Korean Randor, whatever that is.

I fabed some fenders, installed a pair of Wald baskets on a Topeak rack, and installed a Sunlight center stand.

Of course the bars are not original. I had to have that upright riding position. I also replaced the mini saddle with a proper padded seat...It rides very well.

Hope you like it..

Best regards,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grocery getter 1.jpg (44.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg grocery getter 2.jpg (51.0 KB, 36 views)
mojopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 09:47 AM   #2
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW I think it's a fine Utility Bike as you have it built now. Very fuctional and comfy for this
use.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 10:28 AM   #3
kuan
Twincities MN
 
kuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice. Doesn't say steal me too which is even better.
__________________
www.marrow.org
kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 11:56 AM   #4
Singlespeed92
Lover of ALL things Bike
 
Singlespeed92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hard Rock,2011 Origin 8 700CX,2013 On One Inbred,2014" Surly Troll
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice lookin bike,Bro!
Singlespeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 02:01 PM   #5
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
FWIW I think it's a fine Utility Bike as you have it built now. Very fuctional and comfy for this
use.
I think this bike would meet 100% of the utility needs for 95% of the cyclists who would ever consider using a bicycle for utility; and probably 95% of the utility needs for the other 5% of cyclists who would like to have a bicycle built for utility. Nice bike, OP and good write up.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-02-09 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 02:10 PM   #6
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Nice bike!
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.