Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 1014
  1. #776
    Lover of ALL things Bike Singlespeed92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1996 Specialized Hard Rock,2011 Origin 8 700CX,2013 On One Inbred,2014" Surly Troll
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to pick up some trash bags,loaf of bread and milk,rent a dvd and just to ride around.
    Surly Troll,Origin 8 CX'er,enough parts to build a few

  2. #777
    2k miles from the midwest Dylansbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington
    My Bikes
    Sanner porteur ss, Soma Double Cross DC, Airborne Sortie, Bridgestone MB5
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safeway had litter cheaper, so my monthly stock-up run was actually a shorter distance than to petsmart.

    100lbs of litter in the trailer, another 30lbs of groceries in the panniers. Should've added a 12pack for the front end.




  3. #778
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylansbob View Post
    Safeway had litter cheaper, so my monthly stock-up run was actually a shorter distance than to petsmart.

    100lbs of litter in the trailer, another 30lbs of groceries in the panniers. Should've added a 12pack for the front end.
    ahh, yes the need for equalizing ballast does lend to rationalizing almost anything not on the 'list' LOL!! (nice rig, btw!!)
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  4. #779
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ride, but did get the original utility/dog trailer of ours out to replace the tubes and wash everything down. With any amount of luck we should be back to doing grocery runs before too long!!
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  5. #780
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMG_0441.jpg

    Hmm, realized just now I had been remiss and neglected to post our first trip to recycler dude of 2012...
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  6. #781
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I rode down to the flea market this morning. Shopping yielded a 1st edition 1936 engineering text book for my step-son, a CD of classical love music, two big-ass tablecloths we're going to turn into curtains, an extension cord, some molly bolt hooks for hanging houseplants and a desk chair. I love my trailer.

    Total trip including a trip to the bank ~9 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    it's 'leaving the scene of an accident' because no state government has passed a law against 'leaving the scene of an on-purpose'.

  7. #782
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another trip to the recycle center. This time, I hauled three kids with me. Total was only about 2.5 miles there with about 220 pounds on the trailer. After dropping off the recycles I picked up a bin (about 100 pounds) full of soil additive, for a total weight on the return trip of 2.5 miles was about 280 pounds. I ran 6 miles this morning, so this was a lot more difficult ride than it should have been.

    IMG_20120304_142855.jpg
    We stopped by the park on the way home.
    IMG_20120304_152745.jpg

    Good times!
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

  8. #783
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a darn cute pic of your kids on the trailer!
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    it's 'leaving the scene of an accident' because no state government has passed a law against 'leaving the scene of an on-purpose'.

  9. #784
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I set a new personal record today. I took a load of scrap metal to the recycle yard. Before leaving, my son said, "dad, you can just take the truck." I said, "son, your dad likes to do things the hard way." And, the hard way it was...

    Per google tracks:
    Trip there:6.57 miles, 5.87 mph average, 987 feet elevation gain, max grade -3.2%, 1 hr 7 min 11 seconds
    Trip back: 6.44 miles, 12.35 mph average, 315 feet elevation gain, max grade 8.7%, 30 min 33 seconds

    I turned in 467 pounds of metal + ~100 pounds of kid/trailers/buckets = a new PR of ~570 pounds moved by bicycle for about 6.5 miles. Needless to say, it was a lot of work, and it was definitely my heaviest load yet. To put things in perspective, I had a very difficult time off the bike and pushing the load (1 hand on the handlebars, 1 hand pulling on the seat). The only way for me to move it was to be in a very low gear and pedaling. When I came to a stop, I had it in my easiest gear (22 front ring, 32 rear cog) and I would have to stand on the pedals when I started up. Believe it or not, it's actually difficult to mash in that low of a gear!

    I'm not sure exactly how the weight was distributed. I believe I had about 325 pounds on the BAW trailer and about 200 pounds on the rear/converted child trailer. Both handled their respective weights perfectly with no ill-effects.

    In the end, I earned ~$154 for the scrap metal. In other words, I got paid ~$154 for exercising!

    Here are the pics:

    IMG_20120309_112102.jpg
    IMG_20120309_112111.jpg
    The metal consisted of copper tubing from upgrading/changing out some of my indoor pipes, some sheathed copper wire, an old wood stove (circa 1986) with a solid brass front door, and other odds and ends that I've been hanging on to since the last trip.

    All in all, this load pushed my limits. I was able to move it effectively, but I wouldn't want to move much more weight or that much for much more of a distance. Fortunately, there was no noticeable grade, or it may have been an entirely different story.

    Enjoy!
    Last edited by hopperja; 03-09-12 at 09:53 PM.
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

  10. #785
    Share the road. bugly64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    My Bikes
    Chinese Crabon Fibber
    Posts
    1,077
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Toured Yuba City for a few hours and then we ended trying to get all the deals we could get at Wallyworld.

  11. #786
    Senior Member Stu In Tokyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopperja View Post
    Well, I set a new personal record today. I took a load of scrap metal to the recycle yard. Before leaving, my son said, "dad, you can just take the truck." I said, "son, your dad likes to do things the hard way." And, the hard way it was...

    Per google tracks:
    Trip there:6.57 miles, 5.87 mph average, 987 feet elevation gain, max grade -3.2%, 1 hr 7 min 11 seconds
    Trip back: 6.44 miles, 12.35 mph average, 315 feet elevation gain, max grade 8.7%, 30 min 33 seconds

    I turned in 467 pounds of metal + ~100 pounds of kid/trailers/buckets = a new PR of ~570 pounds moved by bicycle for about 6.5 miles. Needless to say, it was a lot of work, and it was definitely my heaviest load yet. To put things in perspective, I had a very difficult time off the bike and pushing the load (1 hand on the handlebars, 1 hand pulling on the seat). The only way for me to move it was to be in a very low gear and pedaling. When I came to a stop, I had it in my easiest gear (22 front ring, 32 rear cog) and I would have to stand on the pedals when I started up. Believe it or not, it's actually difficult to mash in that low of a gear!

    I'm not sure exactly how the weight was distributed. I believe I had about 325 pounds on the BAW trailer and about 200 pounds on the rear/converted child trailer. Both handled their respective weights perfectly with no ill-effects.

    In the end, I earned ~$154 for the scrap metal. In other words, I got paid ~$154 for exercising!

    Here are the pics:

    IMG_20120309_112102.jpg
    IMG_20120309_112111.jpg
    The metal consisted of copper tubing from upgrading/changing out some of my indoor pipes, some sheathed copper wire, an old wood stove (circa 1986) with a solid brass front door, and other odds and ends that I've been hanging on to since the last trip.

    All in all, this load pushed my limits. I was able to move it effectively, but I wouldn't want to move much more weight or that much for much more of a distance. Fortunately, there was no noticeable grade, or it may have been an entirely different story.

    Enjoy!
    Very impressive indeed, way to go!

    Got to love them disk brakes, I too haul heavy stuff on my trailer and without the disk brakes, well it's just dangerous!

  12. #787
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu In Tokyo View Post
    Very impressive indeed, way to go!

    Got to love them disk brakes, I too haul heavy stuff on my trailer and without the disk brakes, well it's just dangerous!
    Thanks for the kudos, Stu! Most people who haul things by bike aren't in the 500+ pounds club, but I know you know what that's like. It's anything but easy, and yes, disc brakes are a requirement. I doubt I'll ever be in Tokyo, but if I am, I'll look you up.
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

  13. #788
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hopperja - heheh, love your set of doubles, very cool indeed!!!
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  14. #789
    Lover of ALL things Bike Singlespeed92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1996 Specialized Hard Rock,2011 Origin 8 700CX,2013 On One Inbred,2014" Surly Troll
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me n the Boy did a grocery run.





    (Sorry for the too-big-pics...Photobucket said they'd been resized...)
    Surly Troll,Origin 8 CX'er,enough parts to build a few

  15. #790
    Ride On. Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all are giving me excellent ideas for when I pick up my Transport. I'm thinking Rubbermaid container opposite of the bag that comes with it. I have a few spares laying around. You all are a good influence on me...or in my wife's eyes...a bad influence! hahaha

    Since you all are seasoned veterans to the utility cycling gig, how many bungee's and straps do you normally keep on hand?
    '10 Trek 1.5; '10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er; '12 Trek Transport; '11 Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Plus 29er; '96 Cannondale M400 - Sold = Regret
    My Cycling Blog

  16. #791
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full-on grocery shopping trip today - 100+ lbs. in the trailer. I LOVE freaking out the straights when they see the bike helmets dangling from the shopping cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    it's 'leaving the scene of an accident' because no state government has passed a law against 'leaving the scene of an on-purpose'.

  17. #792
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    You all are giving me excellent ideas for when I pick up my Transport. I'm thinking Rubbermaid container opposite of the bag that comes with it. I have a few spares laying around. You all are a good influence on me...or in my wife's eyes...a bad influence! hahaha

    Since you all are seasoned veterans to the utility cycling gig, how many bungee's and straps do you normally keep on hand?
    If I had wide-load style platforms, I would first wrap them in a spiral cord wrap. I use it as a chain stay protector, and it is indestructible.

    For my trailer hauling, I typically use large Nite-Ize figure 9's. They are fantastic and are generally more useful than tie down straps. They'll hold more weight than you'd want to carry. A couple large (with 12 feet of 3/8" rope each) and 4 of the small Nite Ize figure 9's (they come in a pack for about $10), and I can tie down virtually anything on my trailer. I've also tied a 5 gallon bucket, and even a full-sized garbage can, to a rear rack using these things.

    The small figure 9's are rated to 50 lbs. I've tied mine in a loop and picked up ~90 lbs of weight, so the 50lbs is a continual working load. I can't say enough good things about them.
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

  18. #793
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cargo net always in my bag, or on the load I am running to the recycle dude, several bungee cords are in the bags/panniers as well.
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  19. #794
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started commuting last week.

    Also started using the bike for errands. A couple of days ago, I took a 10 mi loop from home to my LBS, then work to pick up a check, pharmacy, bank and then back home. I could really get used to this!

  20. #795
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efk22 View Post
    Just started commuting last week.

    Also started using the bike for errands. A couple of days ago, I took a 10 mi loop from home to my LBS, then work to pick up a check, pharmacy, bank and then back home. I could really get used to this!
    yepper, that's how it starts....LOL!! Welcome to the madness that is utility cycling and BF!! It is cool when you realize your lifestyle is swinging in the direction of more errands on bike than car, very cool indeed when that happens!!
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  21. #796
    Lover of ALL things Bike Singlespeed92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1996 Specialized Hard Rock,2011 Origin 8 700CX,2013 On One Inbred,2014" Surly Troll
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Boy and I rode 7+ miles to the park's far said (from home) just to play and have a sandwich picnic....does that count? I hauled the picnic stuff
    Surly Troll,Origin 8 CX'er,enough parts to build a few

  22. #797
    Passista Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carried the heaviest load to date on my front rack, 24 kg. 20 km round trip.

  23. #798
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a combined load today - glass/plastic recycles and a trip to Goodwill. I make about a trip a month to Goodwill, so my basement is finally starting to look a little better. After I get all the clutter out of there, the garage is next. It seems it's never ending, but I'm pleased the BAW trailer is getting a good bit of use, I'm getting good workouts with it, and saving gas at the same time!

    I don't know how much everything weighed (I'd guess around 200 pounds), but the trip to Goodwill is ~12 miles round trip. On the way back, we stopped by a park, my youngest son played and rode his bike around while I did a TRX/suspension workout (for those who have TRX, it was the original Force program, week 3/4, upper body). I was knackered, as they say in some parts of the world.

    IMG_20120324_114942.jpgIMG_20120324_115001.jpg
    Last edited by hopperja; 03-24-12 at 08:05 PM.
    73 Raleigh 20
    85 Trek 300 series
    05 Kona Caldera
    05 Surly Cross Check
    09 Giant Trance X2
    12 Tern Link P9

  24. #799
    Member Brockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Gary Fisher Montare, red. 26" Schwinn Cimarron red/sliver $50 used. Project: S.U.B. cargo bike.mtb "shopping bike".
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode the Schwinn Cimarron (it's now the $50 beater shopping bike) while I figure out how to make a cargo bike - to Cub Foods for shredded cheese, a dozen eggs, and a small bag of white onions. Here's a little cargo tip - before I put the eggs in my messenger bag, I tied an empty plastic grocery bag around the carton to hold it shut.

    I love riding the bikes for these shorter trips. My wife enjoys it and she is increasing her stamina by walking around the block every morning.

  25. #800
    Senior Member Monster Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    My Bikes
    2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most recently, I transported a unicycle. Me and my housemates decided to take advantage of the sunshine and ride to the local park, and one of them wanted to bring his unicycle. It's a surprisingly awkward thing to load onto a bike. After a couple of false starts with the idea of towing the thing, we eventually managed to secure it to my rear cargo rack with a couple of bungees and a bike lock, with the saddle pointing out behind the bike. It certainly drew a few odd looks from people driving past.
    I've got a bike, you can ride if you like it's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good- Pink Floyd, 1967

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •