Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member Mith242's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, Ark
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Vienna Deluxe 1
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rear Basket Suggestions?

    I'm looking to buy a rear basket. Unfortunately there's not much selection in my local stores so I'm looking online. Some that I've been checking out don't have any reviews. Three that I've been checking into are the Basil Katu,
    http://www.amazon.com/Basil-Catu-Bic...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    Kettler
    http://www.amazon.com/Kettler-8985-5...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    and the Axiom Urban Grocery Basket
    http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Urban-Re...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    Anybody have any advice on these or have others they'd suggest? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mith242 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a rear basket. Unfortunately there's not much selection in my local stores so I'm looking online. Some that I've been checking out don't have any reviews. Three that I've been checking into are the Basil Katu,
    http://www.amazon.com/Basil-Catu-Bic...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    Kettler
    http://www.amazon.com/Kettler-8985-5...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    and the Axiom Urban Grocery Basket
    http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Urban-Re...d=4ZT336D5QUVW
    Anybody have any advice on these or have others they'd suggest? Thanks
    The Basil and Kettler would be my first choices. Have you looked at the Wald Saddle baskets? Only problem I have with a rack mounted basket is that it will put the weight up higher. Also you may have to purchase their rack to run the basket on. Wald also makes a rear rack mount basket too.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  3. #3
    Senior Member Unapomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Left Coast, U.S. of A.
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use a basket designed for the front, and mount it with 'zip ties' to a regular rear rack. It holds two full grocery bags or 3 one gallon containers of water, or a sixteen pack of beer. Cheap and simple, easily removable.
    "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat" 'Classy' Freddie Blassie

  4. #4
    Junior Member Mith242's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, Ark
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Vienna Deluxe 1
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

  5. #5
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,286
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mith242 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a rear basket. Unfortunately there's not much selection in my local stores so I'm looking online.
    Give this mom & pop online site a look. I've bought many accessories from the with not a single
    hitch 'cause all they sell is bike stuff.

    http://www.bikeworldusa.us/category/.../1/Baskets.htm
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rob_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Surly Longhaul Trucker, Dahon Boardwalk, Raleigh 20
    Posts
    1,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    The Basil and Kettler would be my first choices. Have you looked at the Wald Saddle baskets? Only problem I have with a rack mounted basket is that it will put the weight up higher. Also you may have to purchase their rack to run the basket on. Wald also makes a rear rack mount basket too.

    Aaron
    I agree that panniers or side baskets do better at keeping the weight lower and therefore keeping the bike more stable, but even so, I find it very handy to have a basket where I can just throw in my satchel and go. I use a Topeak MTX rack with a Topeak MTX basket. Basket clips in easy when I need it, and comes off when I want to use panniers.

  7. #7
    W A N T E D Juggler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Give this mom & pop online site a look. I've bought many accessories from the with not a single
    hitch 'cause all they sell is bike stuff.

    http://www.bikeworldusa.us/category/.../1/Baskets.htm
    Very good place to buy accessories. And they are more than willing to work with you on custom orders too.

  8. #8
    Rustbelt Rider mkeller234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canton, OH
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban
    Posts
    8,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a wald basket like wahoonc mentioned, the only difference is mine is the folding model. It comes with the mounting hardware to secure it to any rear rack, folds flat when not in use and is not noisy like I would have expected. It will carry something about the size of a paper grocery bag and you can mount them on both sides. With these side baskets I can strap something to the top of my rack for more storage if I need it.

    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
    |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

  9. #9
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the wald folding.....though mine are rarely folded.....easy fit for grocery bags, laptop, son's backpack and were helpful when carrying a 2 cu ft bag of potting soil
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  10. #10
    Junior Member Mith242's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, Ark
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Vienna Deluxe 1
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't really considered or thought about some of the baskets I was looking at and putting more weight up above the center of balance. I guess I hadn't really looked at something like the Wald baskets because I had thought about using the actual basket while grocery shopping and then just attaching it back to the rack when I was finished shopping. I live pretty close to a grocery store so I don't tend to buy a lot all at once and really stuff the basket full. I've noticed some people using bungee cords to help secure their basket to the rack. If I were to do that then that gets rid of the option of using the actual basket while grocery shopping. But anyway thanks for all the suggestions guys.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mith242 View Post
    I hadn't really considered or thought about some of the baskets I was looking at and putting more weight up above the center of balance. I guess I hadn't really looked at something like the Wald baskets because I had thought about using the actual basket while grocery shopping and then just attaching it back to the rack when I was finished shopping. I live pretty close to a grocery store so I don't tend to buy a lot all at once and really stuff the basket full. I've noticed some people using bungee cords to help secure their basket to the rack. If I were to do that then that gets rid of the option of using the actual basket while grocery shopping. But anyway thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    On my main grocery getter I use the Wald folding in the back and a removable basket in the front. I typically shop with the grocery stores carry baskets (if I can find one) I use the reusable grocery bags and they drop right into the Walds.

    Aaron

    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  12. #12
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on using the reusable bags with the wald baskets....works really well
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mith242 View Post
    I guess I hadn't really looked at something like the Wald baskets because I had thought about using the actual basket while grocery shopping and then just attaching it back to the rack when I was finished shopping.
    That's pretty much what I do with my *front* basket. It's the same size as a regular grocery store basket, so I just take it into the store, do my shopping, and come back out to plonk it on the bike. For larger trips, I use my panniers too... this is more common when I hit the farmer's market.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •