Hello everyone. I am building a single-wheeled trailer for use in my courier business. Eventually I hope to be capable of carrying much greater loads, but for now this will be a big step up.
I'll update this as the trailer progresses, and you can see the problems I run into, where I change my mind or get new ideas, etc.
Firstly, this will involve welding - I got a second-hand arc welder for £20, so I'll be welding things together rather than some kind of bolt-on arrangement.
Some home-made trailers that are particularly inspiring:
Trailer Construction Tips
And a few othes that I'll post up when I find them again!
I was going to make the main frame and basket of the trailer out of salvaged angle iron, but I since was very lucky and found some ideal material. I will reveal the source, incase anyone else wants to try their luck. There is a very large Royal Mail depot not too far away, and I noticed a skip on their site full of bikes (none that didn't need a lot of work), bike parts, and separate front baskets. Here are what the bikes are like:
And the baskets I got:
I will use two, cutting one end off each of them, then welding them together. I started doing this with two of the wrong type of baskets - note how they are asymetrical, and bent that way, whereas the type I just showed above will be mostly symetrical once I cut that extra bar off the long edge.
So, today's job is to go back to the skip and see if I can get a partner for the "right" type of basket. There were three types I noticed, in all. I should note that I did in fact speak to the manager of the workshop on site and had his express permission to take what I wanted from the skip
Today I was also cutting up bike frame bits:
You ain't Raleigh any more...
I plan to attach that part to the basket of the trailer kind of like this:
With the forks cut off, turned 90 degrees (anti-clockwise in that picture), and welded back on. See the first link at the top for an example.
I will then have to fashion some kind of custom hitch, which I'll worry about later.
As for the back of the trailer:
Something like that. I'll improvise how well it needs to be attached. I don't know what wheel I'll use yet, but it will come from a kid's bike when I find one, I guess.
The piece in the above picture: this is what you call a frozen stem :/
So that's it for now. I'll post again when I've done some more on it. Eventually it will all be painted green, to match my company colours. I hope it will look pretty cool - we'll see.
Thanks for your interest.