Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Low speed stability aid

    I was just watching something interesting on the Discovery Channel. It peaked my interest, partly because of recent dicussion here about keeping your balance at low speed.
    This product is aimed at teaching small kids to ride without training wheels, but the concept may have some merit for heavy hauling utility bikes.
    http://www.thegyrobike.com/howitworks-s/37.htm
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  2. #2
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, 115 bucks for something that's going to come off the bike as soon as they learn to ride? I think they can crash a few times until they figure it out. They're going to crash anyway.

    As far as it's utility for cargo hauling ... I can't think of what that would be.

    Looks like it would make a neat yard toy though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member nwmtnbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
    Hmm, 115 bucks for something that's going to come off the bike as soon as they learn to ride? I think they can crash a few times until they figure it out. They're going to crash anyway.

    As far as it's utility for cargo hauling ... I can't think of what that would be.

    Looks like it would make a neat yard toy though.

    Actually, I think more parents will be interested in it. Unlike training wheels, it wouldn't have to come off the bike, plus the bike with the gyro wheel can be handed down to younger siblings or sold. They're supposed to be preparing a wheel for adult-sized bicycles, too. I suspect there'll be some interest in that as well. Someone on a heavily laden cargo bike has to stop and then start again, at least if they're obeying the law and stopping at stop signs and red lights. If the load is heavy, it can take a bit to get of effort to get pedaling again and stability at low speeds is useful in that situation.

  4. #4
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
    Actually, I think more parents will be interested in it. Unlike training wheels, it wouldn't have to come off the bike, plus the bike with the gyro wheel can be handed down to younger siblings or sold. They're supposed to be preparing a wheel for adult-sized bicycles, too. I suspect there'll be some interest in that as well. Someone on a heavily laden cargo bike has to stop and then start again, at least if they're obeying the law and stopping at stop signs and red lights. If the load is heavy, it can take a bit to get of effort to get pedaling again and stability at low speeds is useful in that situation.
    Maybe. Another plus is it might help guys like me to learn to do a real track stand, or at least fake it a little better.

  5. #5
    Gear Hub fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    My Bikes
    Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
    Posts
    2,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wonder how effective it is and how long a charge lasts from the batteries. Per tests reported on in Bicycling Science the gyroscopic effect of the wheels spinning on a bicycle at normal speeds are minimal. When a cancelling out gyroscopic force was introduced riders found that the effect on normal bike stability was minimal.

    The greater the weight of the bike and rider the heavier or faster turning the gyroscope would need to be I believe, even if it works with a 40 pound kid on a childs bike. This could be a problem for use with an adult on a cargo bike.
    Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

    Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/

  6. #6
    Senior Member nwmtnbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tatfiend View Post
    I personally wonder how effective it is and how long a charge lasts from the batteries. Per tests reported on in Bicycling Science the gyroscopic effect of the wheels spinning on a bicycle at normal speeds are minimal. When a cancelling out gyroscopic force was introduced riders found that the effect on normal bike stability was minimal.

    The greater the weight of the bike and rider the heavier or faster turning the gyroscope would need to be I believe, even if it works with a 40 pound kid on a childs bike. This could be a problem for use with an adult on a cargo bike.

    The product for kids' bikes.



    The prototype for adult bikes.


  7. #7
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self stabilizing bikes? What's next, self propelled bikes? People have been learning to ride bikes for decades without gyroscopes...

    Any kid can learn to ride a bike under an hour: take the pedals off and tell the kid to simply cast around without pedals by pushing away with their legs and learn to use brakes for 45 minutes. Then put the pedals on and they're be done in another 15 minutes.

    A.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •