Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Big Dummy racks DIY

    Well, after much procrastinating, and shifting project priorities, I finally got a start on making my Big Dummy useable.
    Trying the DIY route, just to see how it turns out. 3/4" EMT conduit is the perfect size tubing for this, so here we go.
    First, create a layout table, marking the angles and dimensions as found on Extracycle's open source documents.

    Then, start bending the conduit, checking angles as you go.


    Test fitting the tubes.

    Zip tied two panniers on one side just to try it out for size.

    So far so good.
    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 04-13-10 at 03:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Share the road. bugly64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    My Bikes
    Chinese Crabon Fibber
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wanted to try this. More progress pics will be eagerly anticipated.

  3. #3
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugly64 View Post
    I have wanted to try this. More progress pics will be eagerly anticipated.
    I'll post as I go, but there will be no progress for the next week as I'll be on the road.
    I'm not sure I'm satisfied with this set. I may be doing a re-do.

  4. #4
    Senior Member SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you are going to haul some stuff!

    Good luck with this -- I enjoy these DIY posts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dan-

    Out of curiosity, about what were you dissatisfied with your first go?

    Eric

  6. #6
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co View Post
    Dan-

    Out of curiosity, about what were you dissatisfied with your first go?

    Eric
    Well, I tried to make multiple bends at the rear so they would look more like factory than a simple bend. I didn't get the two of them to match as well as I'd like, and it is noticeable, to me at least.
    I think I'll call this a practice set, and make the next pair with a simple bend.
    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-09-10 at 10:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I finally managed to grab a bit of time today to make up a second set. I gave up on the idea of trying to copy the profile of the factory originals, and came out with a much better result, and a matched pair.


    To fit properly in the rear tube requires a small cutout to accommodate a small obstruction where two tubes join.

    I'm much more satisfied with the result this time.

    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 04-27-10 at 10:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. What's the wall tickness of the conduti you're using, and what do you think they'll hold?

  9. #9
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dscheidt View Post
    Looks good. What's the wall tickness of the conduti you're using, and what do you think they'll hold?
    It's standard EMT, wall thickness is about .05" which makes it 18 gauge. I imagine it'll hold anything I can pile on it and still pedal, doncha think?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy those RANS panniers. Nothing will fall out of them - the ones made for their RAC system. They should be compatible with your BD setup.

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Dan, much more better than the first one. When are you going to finished up with your whole work ? I am really excited to see what is the next thing you are going to do. I am also thinking to give a try like you but doesn't seems that I am good like you.

  12. #12
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jycegrcia View Post
    Nice work Dan, much more better than the first one. When are you going to finished up with your whole work ? I am really excited to see what is the next thing you are going to do. I am also thinking to give a try like you but doesn't seems that I am good like you.
    Thanks. All it takes is a bit of patience,and the conduit is cheap, so screwing up the first try is not a disaster. The costliest part is the conduit bending tool, but you may be able to rent one at a rent-all store.
    As to when I'll finish, hard to say. Got a lot of other stuff going on right now but I'll work on it as I can.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bleedingapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you using steel or aluminum conduit?

  14. #14
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedingapple View Post
    are you using steel or aluminum conduit?
    Steel.

  15. #15
    Share the road. bugly64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    My Bikes
    Chinese Crabon Fibber
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to make some wideloaders?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Thanks. All it takes is a bit of patience,and the conduit is cheap, so screwing up the first try is not a disaster. The costliest part is the conduit bending tool, but you may be able to rent one at a rent-all store.
    As to when I'll finish, hard to say. Got a lot of other stuff going on right now but I'll work on it as I can.
    Better than renting is find an electrician who isn't using then on the weekend. I have made a handful of projects borrowing my buddies benders on the weekend.

    They look good.

  17. #17
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugly64 View Post
    Are you going to make some wideloaders?
    Yes I will.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a Big Dummy frame to build up, and I had been planning on making my own rack system for it as well. It's good to see I'm not alone in my planning. That must make it a good idea! You're racks are very similar to what I was planning, and I'll be interested to see how yours turn out, as well as how mine come out as well. I'm planning on making mine able to work with panniers first, with bars built in to hang the panniers from and all, and eventually I may go so far as to custom make some larger bags similar to the Xtracycle setup. I was also going to do some wideloaders too, with runningboards on them. I've built racks for my regular bikes, and I usually top them off with a custom made wood deck with some sort of design burned in the top. The Dummy shall be no different.

    Frame gets here later this week, and I can't wait!
    My other ride is a bike.

  19. #19
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rednek426 View Post
    I just ordered a Big Dummy frame to build up, and I had been planning on making my own rack system for it as well. It's good to see I'm not alone in my planning. That must make it a good idea! You're racks are very similar to what I was planning, and I'll be interested to see how yours turn out, as well as how mine come out as well. I'm planning on making mine able to work with panniers first, with bars built in to hang the panniers from and all, and eventually I may go so far as to custom make some larger bags similar to the Xtracycle setup. I was also going to do some wideloaders too, with runningboards on them. I've built racks for my regular bikes, and I usually top them off with a custom made wood deck with some sort of design burned in the top. The Dummy shall be no different.

    Frame gets here later this week, and I can't wait!
    Great. It will be fun to compare our solutions. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    I'll try to grab some time to make a bit of progress this week.

  20. #20
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit of progress today. I got My Eco Deck and Magic Carpet.

    My frame spreading tool came in handy in the fitting stage,
    The Magic Carpet is too small to fit over the Eco Deck.

    I've got a workaround up my sleeve for that one though.

    I got the stem and handlebar fitted to the seatpost. I'm going to trim the length some. It's kinda wide for little arms.


    I managed to get started on the wide loaders, but ran out of time. Hope to finish em up tomorrow, at least the bending stage. The wood deck will take a bit longer.

    I took my son in law for a ride on the back, and it handled it with no problem. If it can haul a 200 lb man, a 5 and 3 year old should be able to ride it together.
    Hoping I can try it with all 3 of my grandkids this weekend.

  21. #21
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wide loaders with a twist. Step one.


    Step two.

    I think I'm going to narrow it down a bit though. I think this is going to be a bit wide.

  22. #22
    Share the road. bugly64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    My Bikes
    Chinese Crabon Fibber
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting interesting. I think you have keep it no wider than a normal sidewalk or doorway. My Dummy fits through my door with the wideloaders on.

  23. #23
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,908
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugly64 View Post
    This is getting interesting. I think you have keep it no wider than a normal sidewalk or doorway. My Dummy fits through my door with the wideloaders on.
    Yup. It would definitely be too wide with two at that width.
    Also, I think I came up against the limitations of the conduit bender here. I think a tubing bender capable of a tighter radius bend would do a better job for the upright bends.
    Can anyone tell me what a fully assembled wide loader kit measures for width?

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Yup. It would definitely be too wide with two at that width.
    Also, I think I came up against the limitations of the conduit bender here. I think a tubing bender capable of a tighter radius bend would do a better job for the upright bends.
    there is a bender for 3/4 emt that makes a 4" radius bend. (well, just a hair over: NEC says > 4", so they're about 4 1/16".). That's about as tight a bend as is possible cold.

  25. #25
    Share the road. bugly64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    My Bikes
    Chinese Crabon Fibber
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured my Wideloader assemblied on my Dummy:
    Rear is 25 1/2 inches
    Front is 31 inches
    Keep in mind I used a tape measure without a square.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •