Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member coldfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I have joined the BD club.

    Finally scraped enough pennies to liberate my 20" BD from the LBS. Not much point in pictures, as at the moment, it is depressingly stock. That will change however.

    I'm loving the way this tracks round corners, there is one turn at the bottom of a hill at a traffic light, I can bomb down secure in the knowledge that if I catch an inconvenient red, the brakes will stop me with no worries, if not, I can sweep round the the turn at not much below full speed. When I do this, I can feel the eyes of the car drivers waiting, I'm sure they think I'm crazy.

    Some questions, I want to build a small locking box to fit in front of the rear fender, mounted onto the last set of bottle cage mounts. This should fit a heavy cable, small U-lock type padlock, spare tube, and tool kit. I realize I will have to keep it away from the chain, so it will be asymmetrical. Have any of you crafted anything like this? Any pictures? I'm thinking Aluminum, Marine ply, or maybe fiberglass.

    Has anyone found a readily available paint that is a good match to the Military Green? Alternatively, could use just black gloss I guess.

  2. #2
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got your BD...sorry I can't be of much help with your locking box question...I'll look forward to your creation... The BD is a really fun bike to ride unloaded...sitting in the middle between the wheels sure changes how the bike handles...
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  3. #3
    Senior Member coldfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    Glad you got your BD...sorry I can't be of much help with your locking box question...I'll look forward to your creation... The BD is a really fun bike to ride unloaded...sitting in the middle between the wheels sure changes how the bike handles...
    Thanks, I was a little disappointed to hear of your move out West, one BD arrives, another leaves...Gotta keep the numbers up! How is it going in the land of rain?

  4. #4
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Thanks, I was a little disappointed to hear of your move out West, one BD arrives, another leaves...Gotta keep the numbers up! How is it going in the land of rain?


    I have no idea what's going on in the land of rain...I don't live there...so far in ~3 months in Victoria...I've seen 3-4 days of real rain...3-4 days with occasional rain...and mostly dry warm to dry hot weather...we get ~50% the rain of Vancouver and almost all of that in the winter...when I head to Mexico!...lot's of sun here...ideal really...I think the fact Victoria is low lying and at the tip of Vancouver Island allows us to avoid most of the rain the rest of West Coast gets. I can't recall the last time it rained here...I've been watering my lawn/garden trying to keep things from going brown!

    Life is good...my recreational possibilities here are better than Calgary and less travel time to get to a spot I want to do something.

    I'll be back in Calgary from time to time for work...maybe we can hook up and I can check out your cargo rig...
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  5. #5
    Senior Member coldfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it, go on, make me feel miserable about the crap Calgary has been dealing with so far this year! I hadn't realized Victoria was that sheltered.

    Glad it's working out.

  6. #6
    Bent builder purplepeople's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    I have no idea what's going on in the land of rain...I don't live there...so far in ~3 months in Victoria...I've seen 3-4 days of real rain...3-4 days with occasional rain...and mostly dry warm to dry hot weather...we get ~50% the rain of Vancouver and almost all of that in the winter...when I head to Mexico!...lot's of sun here...ideal really...I think the fact Victoria is low lying and at the tip of Vancouver Island allows us to avoid most of the rain the rest of West Coast gets. I can't recall the last time it rained here...I've been watering my lawn/garden trying to keep things from going brown!
    I believe the tacit reason Vancouverites publicly complain about the rain is so that nobody else will want to move there and the true beauty of the sunny days remain a local secret. At least that's how I thought about it when I lived there. If you keep this up, Victoria will end up with the same population explosion and your neighbours will shun you.

    :)ensen.

    You should know... even though Vancouver gets more drizzle than Victoria, most of the big precip is on the North Shore because of the mountains. The disadvantage of Victoria is that it is less sheltered from any of the Pacific storm systems that come along.
    Those who claim to be making history are usually just repeating it.

    My tilting trike: Video and Images

  7. #7
    babylon by bike Standalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Haven, CT, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.
    Posts
    2,764
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the scraping pennies mode, too, only the Madsen makes the most sense for my family at the moment. Congrats on your BD.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •