Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-12, 04:59 AM   #1
BeastRider
Beast Rider
Thread Starter
 
BeastRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Bikes: Trek Transport
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
U.S.S. Enterprise

Headed over to take some photos of the U.S.S. Enterprise on March 11th as she headed out for her final cruise after 50 years of service. Also passed the 600 mile mark on ""The Beast""......


600 Mile Mark.....


Stopped where I was at when I passed the 600 mile mark.....


Waiting on the beach for the Enterprise to leave her dock.....


Being "buzzed" by the helicopters from the Enterprise.....




U.S.S. Enterprise CVN 65 heading out of Norfolk, Virginia
BeastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 12:09 PM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,358
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
I suppose we will see the barge with the old reactors , crossing the Bar here before long,
all the Submarine Nuclear reactors go up to the Snake river on barges ,
then trucked to Idaho for permanent storage,
hope they got a plan for the next couple thousand years. 'half life decay' X 10..

the Carrier has several to"dispose of" ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 02:34 PM   #3
BeastRider
Beast Rider
Thread Starter
 
BeastRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Bikes: Trek Transport
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I suppose we will see the barge with the old reactors , crossing the Bar here before long,
all the Submarine Nuclear reactors go up to the Snake river on barges ,
then trucked to Idaho for permanent storage,
hope they got a plan for the next couple thousand years. 'half life decay' X 10..

the Carrier has several to"dispose of" ..
If I am not mistaken that happens because the Subs are taken apart at Bremerton, Washington. The Enterprise will be dismantled here in Newport News. I have no idea what they will be doing with the fuel from her 8 nuclear reactors.
BeastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 05:23 PM   #4
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I suppose we will see the barge with the old reactors , crossing the Bar here before long,
all the Submarine Nuclear reactors go up to the Snake river on barges ,
then trucked to Idaho for permanent storage,
hope they got a plan for the next couple thousand years. 'half life decay' X 10..

the Carrier has several to"dispose of" ..
Fuel goes to Idaho.
Reactors go to Hanford.
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 06:27 PM   #5
pick
Senior Member
 
pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool, loved seeing the 'E' when I was on CV-64, the Constellation, at that time the 'E' was the biggest ship in the water had the Connie by about 35 feet in length if I remember...an era gone by for sure...thanks for posting about her!!!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 01:54 AM   #6
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Enterprise by 53'6".
Unless one's been "soaking" in the sun longer.
http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/carriers/

I used to work as a Boilermaker at PSNS. Spent many an ugly hour down in the "bowels" of the Connie & Kitty Hawk.
Had the "privilege" of wire brushing every weld inside the catapult steam receivers on the Enterprise. I think that was close to 2 weeks work.
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 08:45 AM   #7
BeastRider
Beast Rider
Thread Starter
 
BeastRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Bikes: Trek Transport
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Cool, loved seeing the 'E' when I was on CV-64, the Constellation, at that time the 'E' was the biggest ship in the water had the Connie by about 35 feet in length if I remember...an era gone by for sure...thanks for posting about her!!!
An era passes......so true.

I remember being a very little tyke when she made her first appearance at Pearl Harbor. At that time there were concerns that she wouldn't fit through the mouth of Pearl. We lived VERY close by so all of the kids rode their bikes over to watch this MONSTROUS ship enter. Amazing to watch and see all the sailors "manning the rails". We even got waved at from the flight deck.

She is due back here in October sometime and a rather large welcome is well in the works I imagine. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a much better zoom lens and a better vantage point.
BeastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 11:33 AM   #8
Keith K
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Giant Seek1, Rocky Mountain Hammer 29er, Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember escorting her on her last WESTPAC deployment. ENTERPRISE, MIDWAY and 1 other carrier (KITTY HAWK or RANGER I believe) all pulled into Subic at the same time. It was something to see the three battle groups all together at one time.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 09:16 PM   #9
pick
Senior Member
 
pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
An era passes......so true.

I remember being a very little tyke when she made her first appearance at Pearl Harbor. At that time there were concerns that she wouldn't fit through the mouth of Pearl. We lived VERY close by so all of the kids rode their bikes over to watch this MONSTROUS ship enter. Amazing to watch and see all the sailors "manning the rails". We even got waved at from the flight deck.

She is due back here in October sometime and a rather large welcome is well in the works I imagine. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a much better zoom lens and a better vantage point.
Loved pulling in to Pearl on Connie & manning the rail...what a sight to look out over the base, the awe of the history of that place, goose bumps every time man.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 09:19 PM   #10
pick
Senior Member
 
pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
I remember escorting her on her last WESTPAC deployment. ENTERPRISE, MIDWAY and 1 other carrier (KITTY HAWK or RANGER I believe) all pulled into Subic at the same time. It was something to see the three battle groups all together at one time.
Subic...now that is truly an era gone...Freaking locals all knew how long we would be in port for and when anchor was up before we did, it seemed. Good times, man..good times.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 PM.