Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Crazy Idea for Schwinn Meridian/Town and Country Trike

    Has anyone Tried slapping a Sunlite Products springer fork on a Meridian/Town and Country Trike?
    Would doing so compromise the handling or carrying capacity?
    Last edited by Sirrus Rider; 03-17-12 at 07:22 PM.
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  2. #2
    DelawareDave Dave Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Castle Delaware
    My Bikes
    3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture 231.jpg


    Here's one with a springer fork and dual evo motors mounted on the front. It rode well.

  3. #3
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Armstrong View Post
    Picture 231.jpg


    Here's one with a springer fork and dual evo motors mounted on the front. It rode well.
    Will the spring on the springer compress any if I throw a keg of beer on the back? (Say for argument about 40-50lbs)?
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  4. #4
    DelawareDave Dave Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Castle Delaware
    My Bikes
    3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might need wheelie bars so the weight does not shift back too far. I had extensions on a springer fork that did make it compress too far. I took the bolt out of the center of the springer fork and put a piece of rubber hose inside and put the bolt back in. That did keep it from compressing too far. A drum brake on the front would be good too, with all te extra weight you'll have you will need extra braking power. One consideration in carrying a keg would be if the route home is bumpy enough that you couldn't tap the keg when you got home. That would be a disapointment.

  5. #5
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Armstrong View Post
    I think you might need wheelie bars so the weight does not shift back too far. I had extensions on a springer fork that did make it compress too far. I took the bolt out of the center of the springer fork and put a piece of rubber hose inside and put the bolt back in. That did keep it from compressing too far. A drum brake on the front would be good too, with all te extra weight you'll have you will need extra braking power. One consideration in carrying a keg would be if the route home is bumpy enough that you couldn't tap the keg when you got home. That would be a disapointment.
    Okay you convinced me.. I'd look cool, but on the whole is a bad idea..
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  6. #6
    DelawareDave Dave Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Castle Delaware
    My Bikes
    3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tap the keg before the ride home, make lots of friends along the way.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PaPa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider View Post
    Will the spring on the springer compress any if I throw a keg of beer on the back? (Say for argument about 40-50lbs)?
    If the ballast is placed slightly forward of the rear axle, you'll be fine. Considering the weight they add, I don't see much use for a springer on a trike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •