Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Taking your cargo bike by train

    Hello friends-

    A few months ago I wanted to take my bike to Portland, checked out tickets on Amtrak and read that my bike was over the weight limit. Apparently I'm not the only person who has been stopped in their tracks (too hard to resist that one) by this regulation.

    Anyway, Travis at TRANSPORTland has sent a letter to Amtrak hoping to start conversation and maybe a trial period to see how Amtrak could adjust to coping with us cargo cyclists. If you would like to join the conversation and add your input, send in a message to Amtrak voicing your opinion or just see whats going on I invite you to visit the blogs listed below. Wouldn't it be awesome to travel with out bikes of all shapes and sizes!

    http://youaintgotjack.blogspot.com/2...-by-train.html

    http://transportland.org/2012/03/open-letter-to-amtrak/

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Youaintgotjack; 03-30-12 at 10:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50lb limit for all packages on Amtrak. Any more and there would be liability for employees hurting themselves.
    Internal Gear Hub Guru
    Currently owned hubs: Sachs Pentasport, SRAM P5 Drum, Sturmey SRF5-W , Sturmey XRD3
    Previously owned hubs: Shimano Nexus 8 speed, Sturmey AW 3 speed, Shimano 3 speed coaster, SRAM S7 Drum, Sturmey XRF8 8 speed
    Tested hubs: SRAM i-Motion 9 speed, Sturmey XRD5

  3. #3
    Didn't make it Bat22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Weymouth, Mass.
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reserved a bike spot on a Boston to Portland,Maine Amtrac commuter on a weekend run.
    The reserved spot is used to store wheelchairs on the car during the week I guess.
    Ride like a teen machine

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    costa mesa ca
    My Bikes
    85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 lb limit to roll something around. crazy. ups puts stickers on packages after 70 lbs and they have to lift and carry everything.

  5. #5
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack View Post
    Hello friends-

    A few months ago I wanted to take my bike to Portland, checked out tickets on Amtrak and read that my bike was over the weight limit. Apparently I'm not the only person who has been stopped in their tracks (too hard to resist that one) by this regulation.

    Anyway, Travis at TRANSPORTland has sent a letter to Amtrak hoping to start conversation and maybe a trial period to see how Amtrak could adjust to coping with us cargo cyclists. If you would like to join the conversation and add your input, send in a message to Amtrak voicing your opinion or just see whats going on I invite you to visit the blogs listed below. Wouldn't it be awesome to travel with out bikes of all shapes and sizes!

    http://youaintgotjack.blogspot.com/2...-by-train.html

    http://transportland.org/2012/03/open-letter-to-amtrak/

    Cheers!
    Dude! This is the internet and as such it's easy to find out who the CEO & other Amtrak officials are so you can communicate directly with them instead of a lame ass blog entry that won't do squat for your cause.

    If you're the least bit serious here's the info to get you to the right people...........

    http://www.lead411.com/company_Amtra...man_16904.html

    http://www.lead411.com/Joseph_Boardman_1163577.html
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Dude! This is the internet and as such it's easy to find out who the CEO & other Amtrak officials are so you can communicate directly with them instead of a lame ass blog entry that won't do squat for your cause.

    If you're the least bit serious here's the info to get you to the right people...........

    http://www.lead411.com/company_Amtra...man_16904.html

    http://www.lead411.com/Joseph_Boardman_1163577.html

    Thanks Dude.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsawdust View Post
    50 lb limit to roll something around. crazy. ups puts stickers on packages after 70 lbs and they have to lift and carry everything.
    exactly! Ive decided we'll just rent bikes when we travel, easier.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading the baggage policy on amtrak's site (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267293829) the checked baggage cannot exceed 50lb EACH. If you had a bi-partable frame with S&S couplers, this could work out for most cargo bikes, dividing the bike into two packages, with allowance for one more checked luggage item. Of course that doesn't help you presently...
    Last edited by cyclocello; 05-05-12 at 02:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kalliergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF Bay
    My Bikes
    Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, folks.

    I'm one of the people who followed up on Travis' suggestion/request to write to Amtrak (I'm in SF and have dealings with cargo bike people in Portland). After a long delay, I received a form reply that basically said. . . nothing.

    If anyone wants to communicate with real decision-makers, I think Nightshade's suggestion is the right way to go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •