Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member Denelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Pletscher kickstand broke-what would you recommend replacing it with?

    The end of last August, I bought a Breezer Uptown Infinity and had the shop install a Pletscher kickstand. I have a 4 year old on a trailabike and a 2 year old in a Yepp on my handlebars. Paid $50 for it too. Got home from a ride the other night, went to flip the kickstand down and it snapped.



    The bike shop offered to replace it with another Pletscher, but now I'm not feeling that comfortable with it. Was it just a fluke thing that it snapped? My two year old was still in her Yepp, and thankfully I caught the bike before it fell too far but it scared me.

    What type of kickstand do you have?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ezdoesit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring 2008
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clickstand is what I use check it out at clickstand.com
    Remember it's mind over matter
    if you don't mind it doesn't matter


    Ride more and drive less.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R, Trek 830, Dahon HAT 060, ...
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hebie bipod, sturdy out of steel.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kalliergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF Bay
    My Bikes
    Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second 2_i's suggestion. I've used both the Pletscher and the Hebie, and much prefer the Hebie.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kalliergo View Post
    I second 2_i's suggestion. I've used both the Pletscher and the Hebie, and much prefer the Hebie.
    3rd this.
    I have used both, like both, but I prefer the Hebie.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Denelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the Hebie feel wobbly? The Pletscher felt a bit like a teeter totter.

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,109
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you only need a single leg KS, and Greenfield is all you can find it will do.

    I have a 20+year old Esge stand , what did you do to that one?

    anyone sit on the bike while the stand was down? then it is not a defect.
    Operator Error.

    teeter-totter if it is extending a lot lower than the tires ,
    shorter than the tires and it wont work

    I suspect, you never did the proper installation as left the legs at full length.

    you saw them off so just a inch or so, is one tire or the other off the ground.

    and don't let anyone sit on the bike until they put the KS Up.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-01-12 at 02:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Denelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    If you only need a single leg KS, and Greenfield is all you can find it will do.

    I have a 20+year old Esge stand , what did you do to that one?

    anyone sit on the bike while the stand was down? then it is not a defect.
    Operator Error.

    teeter-totter if it is extending a lot lower than the tires ,
    shorter than the tires and it wont work

    I suspect, you never did the proper installation as left the legs at full length.

    you saw them off so just a inch or so, is one tire or the other off the ground.

    and don't let anyone sit on the bike until they put the KS Up.
    The bike shop did the installation, and they did cut off some of the length. My 2 year old was still in the Yepp when I put the kickstand up (which was part of the reason why the shop sold it to me-they told me that I could put her on while the kickstand was still on to help with stability. I was not on the bike, nor was my 4 year old on the TAB. It was installed by Budget Bikes in Madison.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R, Trek 830, Dahon HAT 060, ...
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denelle View Post
    Will the Hebie feel wobbly? The Pletscher felt a bit like a teeter totter.
    I have yet to find a better kickstand than the Hebie bipod. My backpack, that I load on top of the rear rack, with the kickstand unfolded, weighs 25-30 lbs.

    I was not happy with Pletscher either although it was a big improvement over the run of the mill single-legged alu or department-store-level steel kickstand. Alu generally is not a good material for kickstands. On a folder where I could not afford a bipod, I went with a steel Hebie monopod which is however harder to find that the bipod, particularly in the US.

  10. #10
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denelle View Post
    The end of last August, I bought a Breezer Uptown Infinity and had the shop install a Pletscher kickstand. I have a 4 year old on a trailabike and a 2 year old in a Yepp on my handlebars. Paid $50 for it too. Got home from a ride the other night, went to flip the kickstand down and it snapped.



    The bike shop offered to replace it with another Pletscher, but now I'm not feeling that comfortable with it. Was it just a fluke thing that it snapped? My two year old was still in her Yepp, and thankfully I caught the bike before it fell too far but it scared me.

    What type of kickstand do you have?
    BUMMER, we've used the same double legged kickstand on several different bikes over since 2005 and never had a problem. We use them on my wife's commuter bike and my utility bike and LOVE em. I don't know what a YEPP is but the stand does have a 25KG weight limit. Maybe you just got a "Friday before a holiday" special, I'd let the shop replace it and give it a 2nd. chance, jmho.
    Last edited by bjjoondo; 04-01-12 at 09:19 PM.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,109
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so the Child was added weight on the KS.
    Aluminum, cast, does have that possibility.. the material is not forged or drawn,
    like it is in other ways of making things of aluminum.
    take them up on the replacement.

    If you can get a Steel Hebie Center stand that would certainly bear the weight
    of the Kid in the kid seat a little better ,
    but the Hebie stuff is not as well distributed thru the wholesalers that most shops use.

    I 'd consider a trailer better, now, with the 2 YO. since the little one is
    quickly getting too heavy for the rear rack mounted seat.
    [and you can add toys inside the trailer]
    then you can get a cheaper single leg $10. KS, just to hold the bike up.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-02-12 at 01:34 PM.

  12. #12
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shop may warranty parts they sell for up to a year; if you want you could maybe take it back and have them replace it, or if you don't want that style anymore, maybe they will give you some credit to another kickstand.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  13. #13
    Senior Member Denelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    BUMMER, we've used the same double legged kickstand on several different bikes over since 2005 and never had a problem. We use them on my wife's commuter bike and my utility bike and LOVE em. I don't know what a YEPP is but the stand does have a 25KG weight limit. Maybe you just got a "Friday before a holiday" special, I'd let the shop replace it and give it a 2nd. chance, jmho.
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but the weight limit includes the bike and everything loaded on it? If so, I'm typically well over 25kg. My daughter is 25 pounds alone and the bike is a tank plus I have a trailabike too. A Yepp is a front mounted child seat. You can see on the bike in my avatar, it is the orange thing on the front.

    Fietsbob, I prefer not to use a trailer and a trailabike and both of my younger children do not fit in a single trailer together. So my only real option (with this bike at least) is a front mount seat with the trailabike.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like to me that the bicycle was pushed forward without lifting the front wheel a little. The kickstand leg on the right not only moves backward but it also move inward at the same time. When the bicycle gets pushed forward without lifting the front wheel a little bit the inward force (movement) of the right leg will cause it to break.

  15. #15
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,216
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the greenfield it has a much better balance point for my bike, especially with a load

    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=KI1002
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  16. #16
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,386
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Greenfield kickstand is pretty good.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •