Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Kid Trailer for Multi-Purpose Use

    I noticed that a lot of you guys like to take kid carrier trailers and convert them into flatbeds. I was thinking that leaving it as is might work well for me, most are waterproof material, correct? I would be able to pile in the groceries without having to bungee cord them down. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norfolk/VA Beach
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek 6500, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most kiddie trailers aren't waterproof....more water resistent. I use mine for pulling the kids and lite grocery runs. If you have kids, I wouldn't dedicate a kiddie trailer to hauling unless you have the space.

  3. #3
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have kids, but find a lot of kid trailers on craigslist. I thought it might be a good way to make a trailer work on a budget.
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member pick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first utility trailer was an old kids trailer - stripped it inside and put in a plywood base added the bottom of a dog crate - now it's our dog trailer and utility trailer as needed. Nothing wrong in what you are planning to do, it's the first step in utility trailers that many of us take!!
    car very lite dude
    back on 2 wheels - future Big Dummy pilot!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright cool. Wasn't sure about it, seeing that I don't have much experience with something like this. I'm trying to get my hands on as many projects as possible to learn as much as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by pick View Post
    Our first utility trailer was an old kids trailer - stripped it inside and put in a plywood base added the bottom of a dog crate - now it's our dog trailer and utility trailer as needed. Nothing wrong in what you are planning to do, it's the first step in utility trailers that many of us take!!
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member CabezaShok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Angels
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJCB View Post
    Alright cool. Wasn't sure about it, seeing that I don't have much experience with something like this. I'm trying to get my hands on as many projects as possible to learn as much as possible
    There is a nice tutorial on converting a kid trailer to cargo trailer on instructables.com i think they even chopped it, to make it more narrow
    wish i could find the link, but heres a similar one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Conv...d-to-cargo-ca/

  7. #7
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok View Post
    There is a nice tutorial on converting a kid trailer to cargo trailer on instructables.com i think they even chopped it, to make it more narrow
    wish i could find the link, but heres a similar one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Conv...d-to-cargo-ca/
    Man, I love that site. It's a bit over my head for most things, but the collective creativity never ceases to amaze me. I am having a hard time gathering necessary tools and parts, however
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sewn nylon cannot be waterproof ,, all those needle holes.

    but using plastic Tubs with lids,
    or, welded or taped seams
    Dry bags as stuff sacks in them solves that .
    Last edited by fietsbob; 06-12-12 at 11:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJCB View Post
    I noticed that a lot of you guys like to take kid carrier trailers and convert them into flatbeds. I was thinking that leaving it as is might work well for me, most are waterproof material, correct? I would be able to pile in the groceries without having to bungee cord them down. Anyone have any experience with this?
    I did this for a while with my 2nd trailer... after a while it became a pain - the cargo space isn't optimized for stuff, it's optimized for kids, things fall out, it's not securable, and it's not waterproof... Without much in the way of hardware, money or time I turned it into this:

    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    it's 'leaving the scene of an accident' because no state government has passed a law against 'leaving the scene of an on-purpose'.

  10. #10
    gna
    gna is offline
    Count Orlok Member gna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool View Post
    I did this for a while with my 2nd trailer... after a while it became a pain - the cargo space isn't optimized for stuff, it's optimized for kids, things fall out, it's not securable, and it's not waterproof... Without much in the way of hardware, money or time I turned it into this:

    I'm curious--is that an old Burley? What did you do?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use our kid trailer for the kids, dog and groceries. Just not at the same time But seriously I can fit about six paper bags of groceries in ours. One or two behind the seat, three on the seat and one or two on the floor. And with the rain flap the stuff should stay fairly dry although I cant say for sure since I try to avoid bad weather when I go grocery shopping.

  12. #12
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cabledawg View Post
    We use our kid trailer for the kids, dog and groceries. Just not at the same time But seriously I can fit about six paper bags of groceries in ours. One or two behind the seat, three on the seat and one or two on the floor. And with the rain flap the stuff should stay fairly dry although I cant say for sure since I try to avoid bad weather when I go grocery shopping.
    That was my thought...although apparently everyone wants the trailers right now, can't find any! I'm betting on one on ebay, hopefully it'll work...
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

  13. #13
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJCB View Post
    That was my thought...although apparently everyone wants the trailers right now, can't find any! I'm betting on one on ebay, hopefully it'll work...
    Fear not! With these simple plans a multi-purpose trailer is a weekend away.

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...e-Trailer.aspx

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/multi...id=67956&seq=1

    I built this trailer using simple hand tools in 1981 and still use it today from time to time.

    One change I did make was to build the frame outta white oak salvaged from a shipping skid.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  14. #14
    Senior Member PJCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You, sir, deserve a medal. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Fear not! With these simple plans a multi-purpose trailer is a weekend away.

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...e-Trailer.aspx

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/multi...id=67956&seq=1

    I built this trailer using simple hand tools in 1981 and still use it today from time to time.

    One change I did make was to build the frame outta white oak salvaged from a shipping skid.
    Life Goal: keep riding.
    I prefer emails over PMs: p.j.c.brackett@gmail.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •