Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pelican or other hard cases

    Am thinking about attaching a couple hard cases to the rear rack. The current strategy is to use hardware sourced from Arkel (mounting rails) and bolt them to the back of the cases (approx 29" x 16" x 10".

    Anyone done anything similar that can offer some input? Not overly concerned about weight issues as these will be on an ebike and case and cargo weight will be less than 50lbs.

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Arkel mounting system with a smaller pelican case (10 x 8 x 5) as a means to carry my DSLR. Added some epoxy to the bolt holes to make case water tight. Works great!

  3. #3
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I'm expecting the cases in sometime next week and was considering adding a crossbar with a rubber gasket behind it to reduce any flex issues. Great to know it worked out OK for you!

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it with Ortlieb spare parts--both hanging and flat on the deck of the rack. They have worked out very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  5. #5
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    I've done it with Ortlieb spare parts--both hanging and flat on the deck of the rack. They have worked out very well.

    Cool! Did you have to stabalize the hanging ones at the bottom at all?

    I'm wondering how much case 'slap' to expect on rough roads with the bottoms unsecured. I was thinking just a strap over the case and attached to the bottom of the rack might be enough.

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did add a bungee cord and hook to stabalize my case. Not because I felt it was needed for stability, but to mirror the way the arkel connections work on my other Arkel bags.

  7. #7
    Junior Member danielgmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kirkland, Wa
    My Bikes
    Pedego City Commuter
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pelican hardcase mounted as a trunk on my Pedego City Commuter. I evaluated all different kinds of trunks, cases, etc. I have a daily commute in the Seattle area so something that would provide guaranteed dry storage was important to me. I saw a write up with photos on someone who had mounted two as panniers but I just couldn't get that configuration to work for me. Either the panniers were too big or there wasn't enough space inside for my needs. I ended up going with a single storm case on the rear rack and then used further as a platform to mount extra lights and reflective tape. You can view details and photographs of my Pelican trunk mounted on my bike here.

    This arrangement may be a little top heavy for some people. It works just fine for me. I added the Ursus Jumbo Double Kickstand which completely solved my tippy parking concerns.

  8. #8
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danielgmoore View Post
    I have a Pelican hardcase mounted as a trunk on my Pedego City Commuter. I evaluated all different kinds of trunks, cases, etc. I have a daily commute in the Seattle area so something that would provide guaranteed dry storage was important to me. I saw a write up with photos on someone who had mounted two as panniers but I just couldn't get that configuration to work for me. Either the panniers were too big or there wasn't enough space inside for my needs. I ended up going with a single storm case on the rear rack and then used further as a platform to mount extra lights and reflective tape. You can view details and photographs of my Pelican trunk mounted on my bike here.

    This arrangement may be a little top heavy for some people. It works just fine for me. I added the Ursus Jumbo Double Kickstand which completely solved my tippy parking concerns.
    Thanks very much for the photos! Looks like a nice installation!
    Looks like I'll be mounting two similar cases as panniers myself. The frame is a factory ebike mid battery design so should handle the weight no problem. Front fork has been upgraded to a RockShox Tora and the rear tite is a 26 x 2.5" so I can run lower pressure and have a less harsh ride.

    I'll return the favor and post some shots when everything is installed.

  9. #9
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm a little late in posting pics but wanted to road test this as well. Quite a few of the contents of the Pedros MTK are redundant. Multiple allan keys and cone wrenches etc aren't needed for simple house calls. So one case is used for basic tools (including a derailleur hanger tool) and work clothes and the other has simple spares - tubes, lubes, cables etc. Total weight of both bags is less than 40lbs.

    ebike has a 500W HT motor and has no problem dragging this up any hill in Montreal. Top speed is unaffected, but - you really don't wanna drive fast with that much weight on the back of a bike with no rear suspension unless the roads are perfectly smooth. Soft luggage have some built in suspension - these don't. But they ARE completely waterproof and well suited for the intended use.

    The OMM rack was modified slightly - the bottom mounting pieces were tossed and the single piece left was bolted directly to the frame for increase rigidity. The Arkel mounting hardware had to was cut down to fit precisely across the back of the hard case.

    photo.jpg
    Last edited by Burton; 11-20-12 at 12:37 PM.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Cool! Did you have to stabalize the hanging ones at the bottom at all?

    I'm wondering how much case 'slap' to expect on rough roads with the bottoms unsecured. I was thinking just a strap over the case and attached to the bottom of the rack might be enough.
    Sorry for the late reply.
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/ProdList.asp?scat=21
    ^^^^
    that is where I picked up the parts. I have lower stabilization but the weight of the case keeps it from slapping about much either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  11. #11
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    Sorry for the late reply.
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/ProdList.asp?scat=21
    ^^^^
    that is where I picked up the parts. I have lower stabilization but the weight of the case keeps it from slapping about much either way.
    LOL Better late than never! Thanks! Some of those look interesting!

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,670
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    LOL Better late than never! Thanks! Some of those look interesting!
    Sorry about that.
    Ortlieb spare parts are great. I used the basket attachment for one pelican case. The L1 (or L2, I forget) system for a hanging case. And the L1 (or 2) system for converting several messenger bags, camera bags, and soft-side cooler into panniers.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •