Customizing a lightweight utility bike for stairs
2. Full fenders
3. Eyelets for front basket and rear rack
4. Vertical dropouts (will be adding Pitlocks to lock the wheels and seat; it's my understanding that horizontal dropouts are not compatible with the better theft deterrent skewers)
5. No shocks (due to desire to have a front basket)
6. Dynamo lights
7. 30 pounds fully equipped (I have to carry the bike up/down 32 stairs every day). Assuming chainguard, fenders, rack and basket will weigh in at 5 pounds, so the bike itself should be < 25 pounds
8. Under $1,200 for everything
9. XL frame size. 58cm to 60 cm or 23" to 25"
I'd like to purchase a new bike that comes stock with as many of the above features as possible. I have moderate mechanic skills, so I'm willing to go the extra mile to modify the bike to suit my needs.
What bike would you recommend I start with? Thanks for your input.
Last edited by GeraldF; 11-05-13 at 10:18 AM.