Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: sad :-(

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    sad :-(

    i am sad that this forum segregated vc from "advocacy and safety" in bicycle forums; did not review rants against this form (except a few about forester), but the technique needs to stand (with the law backing you). i don't understand why this legal method of road bicycling (and the only law following) was removed from an advocacy/safety section of bike inclusion. just venting some concerns,....thank you for explaining shift in advocacy!

  2. #2
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the techical concepts of vehicular cycling - operating a bicycle as a vehicle according to the rules of the road for vehicles, but some of the political aspects of vehicular cycling have caused heated debates - and I think those heated debates are what this subforum will consist of.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  3. #3
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the techical concepts of vehicular cycling - operating a bicycle as a vehicle according to the rules of the road for vehicles, but some of the political aspects of vehicular cycling have caused heated debates - and I think those heated debates are what this subforum will consist of.
    +1. It is not the idea of VC. It is that we are told we have to do it or should do it, by JF & his flock. Don't know about you. But I hate the idea of having someone tell me how to ride my bike unless I ask.

    This is not meant for anyone in particular, just making a general statement here. So you thin skin folks can chill:

    Don't tell me I'm doing it wrong when I tell you how I ride. You can disagree with how I ride, but don't tell me I should change because you think you are right & I am wrong & I should follow your doctrine on how to ride. In fact don't even tell me I should change how I ride period. What you can do is present the idea to me with suggestions on what may make for a better ride & let me make my own decision on how I should ride. Don't try to force your style down my throat. You do & I'll resist you at every turn, just to spite you.

  4. #4
    Banned. Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be blunt, if some specific poster didn't overlay their personal ideas in a pedantic, browbeating manner in the general A&S forum, perhaps this subforum wouldn't be needed.

    I have no personal problems with the reasoned debate of riding techniques, but when one poster makes themselves out to be the traffic planner, the roads engineer, the seer, the accident analyst, the judge, jury, and the educator- dispensing their way as the only way to ride - it really chaps this cavemans' thick skin.

  5. #5
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    to be blunt, if some specific poster didn't overlay their personal ideas in a pedantic, browbeating manner in the general A&S forum, perhaps this subforum wouldn't be needed.

    I have no personal problems with the reasoned debate of riding techniques, but when one poster makes themselves out to be the traffic planner, the roads engineer, the seer, the accident analyst, the judge, jury, and the educator- dispensing their way as the only way to ride - it really chaps this cavemans' thick skin.
    +1. You forgot executioner.

  6. #6
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomg
    i am sad that this forum segregated vc from "advocacy and safety" in bicycle forums; did not review rants against this form (except a few about forester), but the technique needs to stand (with the law backing you). i don't understand why this legal method of road bicycling (and the only law following) was removed from an advocacy/safety section of bike inclusion. just venting some concerns,....thank you for explaining shift in advocacy!
    Tomg, I know it's getting to be a long one, but if you wanted an idea about why the forum administrators did this, you can get it from this thread. Brian is one of our administrators, and has spent a lot of time explaining the reasoning behind this decision.

    I feel sad about it, too, but short of shutting the A&S forum down altogether, no one had an alternative solution that didn't involve moderators spending nearly all of their personal lives policing threads. We like to ride our bikes as much as anyone else on this forum.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  7. #7
    Senior Member sggoodri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cary, NC
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek, 2001 Lemond, 2000 Gary Fisher
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the techical concepts of vehicular cycling - operating a bicycle as a vehicle according to the rules of the road for vehicles, but some of the political aspects of vehicular cycling have caused heated debates - and I think those heated debates are what this subforum will consist of.
    Here in North Carolina, there is a significant push for the designation of sidewalk-type facilities as bike paths. This is accompanied by plans to narrow the outside travel lanes, and in some cases to legally ban cyclists from the adjacent roadways. This is the "pedestrian on wheels" approach that vehicular cyclists here must advocate against, for their own safety and efficiency.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    clipped in & pedaling
    My Bikes
    jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomg
    i am sad that this forum segregated vc from "advocacy and safety" in bicycle forums; did not review rants against this form (except a few about forester), but the technique needs to stand (with the law backing you). i don't understand why this legal method of road bicycling (and the only law following) was removed from an advocacy/safety section of bike inclusion. just venting some concerns,....thank you for explaining shift in advocacy!
    i check into this forum daily, and it's not removed from A & S -- it's a sub-category within A/S all its own! yes, it's a charged debate, with all the politics involved, and the real as well as perceived challenges to another's riding. it's equivalent to taking the riot out of the street and confining it to the alley -- collateral damage is minimized. it's still accessible.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bruce Rosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Mtn, Tandem
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    ... some of the political aspects of vehicular cycling have caused heated debates - and I think those heated debates are what this subforum will consist of.
    That may be what happens, but it's also possible that it will just become what some other segregated places have become - a ghetto.

  10. #10
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sggoodri
    Here in North Carolina, there is a significant push for the designation of sidewalk-type facilities as bike paths. This is accompanied by plans to narrow the outside travel lanes, and in some cases to legally ban cyclists from the adjacent roadways. This is the "pedestrian on wheels" approach that vehicular cyclists here must advocate against, for their own safety and efficiency.
    I think most of us would be right there on your side, Steve.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Rosar
    That may be what happens, but it's also possible that it will just become what some other segregated places have become - a ghetto.
    Is the Road Racing subforum of Road Cycling a ghetto?
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  12. #12
    Senior Member kalliergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF Bay
    My Bikes
    Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Rosar
    That may be what happens, but it's also possible that it will just become what some other segregated places have become - a ghetto.

    Perhaps rather like a mandatory bike lane: a gutter ghetto.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Brian Ratliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Near Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
    Posts
    9,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ghetto is what the residents make it. If you want the VC subforum to be productive and useful, then... well, do stuff to make it productive and useful. If you want it to be relevent, then make it relevent. Regardless, the topic is prone to enflaming passions for well understood and less well understood reasons, and there are people who want a less rancorous place to post threads about less controversial topics. One of the problems that this subforum will solve is the tendency for less controversial topic threads to get lost and ignored amongst the 200+ post threads of the VC "debates."
    Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
    "If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

  14. #14
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    19,678
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    +1. It is not the idea of VC. It is that we are told we have to do it or should do it, by JF & his flock. Don't know about you. But I hate the idea of having someone tell me how to ride my bike unless I ask.

    This is not meant for anyone in particular, just making a general statement here. So you thin skin folks can chill:

    Don't tell me I'm doing it wrong when I tell you how I ride. You can disagree with how I ride, but don't tell me I should change because you think you are right & I am wrong & I should follow your doctrine on how to ride. In fact don't even tell me I should change how I ride period. What you can do is present the idea to me with suggestions on what may make for a better ride & let me make my own decision on how I should ride. Don't try to force your style down my throat. You do & I'll resist you at every turn, just to spite you
    .
    Gosh, I thought that the state of Iowa tells you you how to ride your bike every day. You do have a vehicular code? If a cop stops you fo running a red light, are you going to shove his ideas down his throat? Vehicular cycling means following the vehicular code of your state or nation. If you don't want to do that you do have a choice: don't ride on the public roadways.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  15. #15
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Gosh, I thought that the state of Iowa tells you you how to ride your bike every day. You do have a vehicular code? If a cop stops you fo running a red light, are you going to shove his ideas down his throat? Vehicular cycling means following the vehicular code of your state or nation. If you don't want to do that you do have a choice: don't ride on the public roadways.
    They tell me the laws I have to follow & give me the freedom of choice whether or to follow those laws & an understanding of the consequences of what may happen if I don't. But they do not tell me how to ride, that is my choice.

    If JF had his way we would all ride how he says to, or else & with out any choice in the matter.

    JF takes VC above & beyond what it is meant to be. He tells people they are wrong when they tell him their riding style. I imagine there are some people he has made afraid. Maybe afraid to ride bike any more. His style is far from tactful or respectful.

    That is not acceptable.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone!
    it's alittle clearer now. it's still unbelievable that it had to come to this, seems some people like to argue for the perceived sport of argue.
    advocate for what you believe is right, in the correct channels!
    i guess this is the channel for now (for vc stories and advocacy)!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive my car down the sidewalk, run red lights and stop signs. I often drive at night without any lights and when cars are backed up I drive in the ditch around them and then take off when the light turns green.

    Noone will tell me how to drive darn it!!!!!!


    Sounds pretty stupid doesnt it?

    So does most of the non VC cycling stuff I read.

  18. #18
    Good Afternoon! SamHouston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    cannondale cad5, urbanist fixed
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomg
    i don't understand why this legal method of road bicycling (and the only law following) was removed from an advocacy/safety section of bike inclusion.

    I cycle legally & have done so professionally for many years. I did not however, come by this habit with any text beyond municipal, state & province road safety/highyway acts. I know of many who do the same, bicycle legally without the aid of Forester texts or LAB courses.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bruce Rosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Mtn, Tandem
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
    A ghetto is what the residents make it.
    According to the Cultural Adoption section of Prof. Kim Pearson's article, the word ghetto in American usage originally described:
    ... an overpopulated, poor section of a city, usually inhabited by ... co-cultures as a result of economic or social pressures. Soon after the mainstream adoption of this meaning, the term also came to signify any mode of sub-standard living or working as the result of stereotype or biased treatment.

  20. #20
    Banned. Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neat semantics trick, bruce! or should I say...sophistry?

    using language to improperly define something for the benefit of your point of view, then quoting a reference that proves you misapplied the term.

    impressive feat of sophistry. and people wonder why this subforum has been created. Its the "VC" crewe of bicyclists calling facilities ghettos and other misinformation tactics....

  21. #21
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sad that there's a mandatory subforum for VC "debate." VC has turned into a big grey area between advocacy and politics. It needs its own subforum.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Bruce Rosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Mtn, Tandem
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre
    I'm not sad that there's a mandatory subforum for VC "debate."
    Ah, so you believe that there can't be real debate (without the quotes) about VC?
    bias - a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre
    VC has turned into a big grey area between advocacy and politics.
    sterotype - a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre
    It needs its own subforum.
    ghetto - any mode of sub-standard living or working as the result of stereotype or biased treatment.
    Welcome to the ghetto.

  23. #23
    Banned. Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pathetic.

  24. #24
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's only a ghetto if you choose to percieve it that way.....

    Or you could look at it as a forum with a specific focus!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Rosar
    Ah, so you believe that there can't be real debate (without the quotes) about VC?




    Welcome to the ghetto.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  25. #25
    Banned. Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the use of the word ghetto is imprecise. Bruce attempts to marginalize this subforum by its incantation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •