Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-08, 03:42 PM   #526
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the one I'm thinking of they've taken a four lane gun barrel, created a path on each side, added on/off turn lanes and created a single drive lane for each direction. Normally that would sound terrible, but it's through a residential part of town albeit one of the main roads through town. Hit it spot on they did, traffic has slowed considerably. It used to be a terrible place for the kids to walk home from school, as there are schools all over the place within a block or two of this street. The path isn't a great design for riding..but as a calmer of cars?, BINGO.
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 04:28 PM   #527
Helmet Head
Banned.
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
Well the one I'm thinking of they've taken a four lane gun barrel, created a path on each side, added on/off turn lanes and created a single drive lane for each direction. Normally that would sound terrible, but it's through a residential part of town albeit one of the main roads through town. Hit it spot on they did, traffic has slowed considerably. It used to be a terrible place for the kids to walk home from school, as there are schools all over the place within a block or two of this street. The path isn't a great design for riding..but as a calmer of cars?, BINGO.
Well, that's a lot different from the typical removal of onstreet parking and adding bike lanes, which usually increases speeds.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 04:31 PM   #528
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
Well, that's a lot different from the typical removal of onstreet parking and adding bike lanes, which usually increases speeds.
they should try making the main travel lanes even narrower then... Funny how when removing parking cyclists don't get that full 8.5 feet of left over width. So in effect the "automotive lanes" are widened and then the bike lanes are added... no wonder automotive traffic moves faster.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 09:18 PM   #529
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com
 
ChipSeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South of Dallas, Texas
Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
they should try making the main travel lanes even narrower then... Funny how when removing parking cyclists don't get that full 8.5 feet of left over width. So in effect the "automotive lanes" are widened and then the bike lanes are added... no wonder automotive traffic moves faster.
In Dallas it works great. Multiple narrow lanes with no parking: Presto! A 8' to 14' bike lane! (And no debis collecting in the lane.)
ChipSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 09:53 PM   #530
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's the same Dallas where cycling is considered highly dangerous, correct?
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 08:08 AM   #531
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
forgot to mention the parking stays
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 10:08 PM   #532
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with considerate engineering, a bike lane addition does not necesarily lead to the 'gun barrel' effect. another foretorite fallacy-


bicyclists fare best in communities that recognize bikes as human powered vehicles with unique operating characteristics and accomodated as such- helemet head stands as an excellent example (despite his denial)of a bicyclist that fares best living in a community that has been planning for bikes in the transportation mix for over 35 years!
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 10:37 PM   #533
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com
 
ChipSeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South of Dallas, Texas
Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya View Post
That's the same Dallas where cycling is considered highly dangerous, correct?
Yes. Most Americans think cycling on any roadway anywhere is dangerous. Dallas is not considered dangerous at all by me, and since I am actually doing it for about 450 hours a year, that makes me an expert!
ChipSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 10:35 AM   #534
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're real happy for you and your chestbeating skills, chip. I mean, bicycling abilities!
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 12:28 PM   #535
EliteTempleton
MTB Commuter
 
EliteTempleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MMM... Cashews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randya View Post
eschew
This word always makes me want to go to the store and buy a can of cashews, which makes me hungry.
EliteTempleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.