Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

View Poll Results: Is JF a god, demon or just a human?
Jf is a god. 9 30.00%
Jf is a demon. 4 13.33%
JF is a human. 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-08, 04:40 PM   #1
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is JF a god, demon or just a human?

The following claim was made up in A&S:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Read the VC forum and you will see thread after thread degenerate into the same tired old fight over whether JF is a god or a demon.
I see a lot of the same old fights around here, and some new ones now and then, but whether JF is a god or a demon is not one of them.

But maybe JRA is right and I'm missing something. So I thought we'd have this poll. Also, can anyone point to a thread where the discussion could be characterized as a "fight over whether JF is a god or a demon"?

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-28-08 at 05:10 PM.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:11 PM   #2
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure he's a pet rock.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:40 PM   #3
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I try not comment on his gibberish because that dignifies it in a way,
but I would have to go with 'demon'. Developers are the biblical
plague of our society relatively speaking and transportation 'planners'
and such are really just shills for developers for the most part.
Thank transportation planner types for their help in what we suffer today.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:57 PM   #4
JRA
Senior Member
 
JRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, at least this thread won't degenerate into an argument over whether JF is a god or a demon.
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:33 PM   #5
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've set a new standard in pointless polls, Serge. My foam hat is off to you.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:42 PM   #6
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure he also didn't literally mean someone wrote JF is a God, or a Demon in a thread for that matter.
However, this is basically what A&S ends up boiling down to. I guess English Lit. wasn't a great class for you, whereas Composition was an "A. Again, please stop being so literal.
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:15 PM   #7
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito
 
urban_assault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted god just to make things interesting.
urban_assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:18 PM   #8
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, this poll does well demonstrate one of the problems encountered here.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:43 PM   #9
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
I'm sure he also didn't literally mean someone wrote JF is a God, or a Demon in a thread for that matter.
Of course not. But he must have meant that the discussion ultimately lead to debates about John Forester the person. But they don't. That's my point. The debates are about the ideas. To the extent that their is any discussion about Forester himself, that's brought on by the anti-VCers, not the VC advocates.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:01 AM   #10
buzzman
----
 
buzzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow. deep. this is deep. I, for one, will ponder this poll for a while before I even attempt an answer. I'm sure it's somehow a trick question. a talmudical conundrum. a zen koan. time has indeed stopped for me.
buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:12 AM   #11
AlmostTrick
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bedrock, IL
Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
Posts: 4,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Since you don't have prophet or anti-christ as choices, should we just assume god and demon as the most appropriate answers respectively in these cases? lol

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 02-29-08 at 06:40 AM.
AlmostTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 07:09 AM   #12
AliesterCrowley 
Magick User
 
AliesterCrowley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The afterlife
Bikes: A Pennyfarthing
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has to be one of the most strange thread I've seen in a series of strange and weird threads by this Helmet Head dude I've seen in a while! Is he always like what I've seen, making gigantic mountains out of little ripples?

I see him post an P&R about no deity and here he is, worshiping at the altar of this Forester dude, and elevating him to deity status! Helmet, I think I now know who your God is!
AliesterCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 07:35 AM   #13
Psycle chic
.
 
Psycle chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
God, demon or human? Why are you even asking this? You say you see a lot of fights over this but you bring up a thread to start another one? Are you THAT bored?

Why don't you go ride a bike or something.
Psycle chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 08:47 AM   #14
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first thing to come to mind and I am not exactly sure why, is what kind of bicycle rider's do we have; childish riding, macho riding or dude, I just want to ride my bike.

As far as th poll goes, I am looking for "all of the above." As we all have our good, bad and just human qualities.

Something to ponder:
Plato writes about what it takes to be a really bad or evil person and comes to the conclusion that it takes a lot of good qualities and just one bad quality to be good at being a bad person.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 10:51 AM   #15
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would characterize john as an incompetant cyclist filled with prejudice. human? yep.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:46 PM   #16
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliesterCrowley View Post
This has to be one of the most strange thread I've seen in a series of strange and weird threads by this Helmet Head dude I've seen in a while! Is he always like what I've seen, making gigantic mountains out of little ripples?

I see him post an P&R about no deity and here he is, worshiping at the altar of this Forester dude, and elevating him to deity status! Helmet, I think I now know who your God is!
Can you provide one single post of mine that would support your assertion that I worship "at the altar of this Forester dude"? Anything? What gives you this impression? I honestly want to know.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:48 PM   #17
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycle_chic View Post
God, demon or human? Why are you even asking this? You say you see a lot of fights over this but you bring up a thread to start another one? Are you THAT bored?
I explained why I'm asking in the OP. Why are you asking as if that explanation is not provided? Did you read the OP? Can you read?

I said I DO NOT see a lot of fights over this, and I'm just asking to see if there is one here. By the way, I don't see a fight about whether Forester is a god or demon here either. Do you? Where???
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:07 PM   #18
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is no fight here. Here are the poll results so far.

Jf is a god. ... KrisPistofferson, urban_assault 2 16.67%
Jf is a demon. ... -=Łem in Pa=-, mev, wsexson 3 25.00%
JF is a human.
... ChipSeal, derath, Helmet Head, JeanCoutu, noisebeam, PaulH, Tom Stormcrowe 7 58.33%

--------
All the VC advocates, and others, agree JF is a human.
No one in this thread or any other thread has argued in any post that JF is anything but.
There is no fight about John Forester.
Can we please put this ridiculous claim to rest now?

The fight is about the positions John Forester holds, particularly about bike lanes. And to the extent that the argument is about him, it's because those who disagree cannot refute his arguments, and so they focus on him. Disagree? Fine. Refute the arguments then.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:08 PM   #19
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...feeling the church crumble underneath you the more you read john's demogoguary, eh, head?

feeling a little insecure, need to bolster your belief system?

"a house built on a weak foundation, it won't stand for long
but stories told to all generations, they will stand for long"
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:12 PM   #20
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we repeatedly discredit john's illogical prejudices and blather in this forum, helemt head. but despite all evidence to the contrary, he continues his pedantic blather as if he were preaching from a bully pulpit with no congregation.

you do realize john has been ostracized from mainstream bicycling advocacy for a coupleof decades, head? and that his bitter vitrolic makes him slightly less than human?

he's degenerated into bitter curmudgeon, an ambulance chaser and a auto/sprawl advocate, head. is he human? absolutely, and not a very nice one, either.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:14 PM   #21
Helmet Head
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What you do, Bek, is repeatedly make it about him rather than about the arguments that you cannot refute. Disagree? Fine, then address the arguments and not those who are making them. See if you can do that for even one post.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:16 PM   #22
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no, i refute his arguments regularily with facts and data and observations regarding the vehicularity of well provided bicycling infrastructure, and the benefits to bicyclists when commuties accomdate bicyclists as unique human powered vehicles.

I repeatedly reiterate the bonifide and mesurable results of increasing bicycling modal share and safety thru infrastructure and social enhancements, the vehicularity of well provided bike lanes, etc...... yet john consistently falls back on tired, pedantic sophistry to attempt to refute the world body of evidence supporting greater planning for bicyclists in the trasnportation grid.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:18 PM   #23
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and i thought this thread was about the demagogue and not his fallacious "message", helmet head! which one is it????
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:21 PM   #24
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to see some real refuting from your camp. Sorry lads but 40 year old dogma isn't going to cut it anymore with me. I've been watching you bunch argue and you can't refute anything anyone says. You consistently ignore facts and published findings from within the industry, so it all becomes you didn't understand ... ooh ooh I meant this portion of LA etc etc... then when it still doesn't work out come insults... so drop the act and just be upfront about being bitter old guys. My grandpa was one too, and my stepfather is quickly on his way.... it's ok you know. Now that I see the VC crowd as Grumpy Old Men, they simply won't upset me anymore, the same way my grandad's tirades didn't get to me. New poll time? I have a new option.

HH please... I'm imploring you, step away from the Dark Side. We can't ALL be wrong all the time. It's statistically impossible.
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:46 PM   #25
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer View Post
I'd like to see some real refuting from your camp. Sorry lads but 40 year old dogma isn't going to cut it anymore with me. I've been watching you bunch argue and you can't refute anything anyone says. You consistently ignore facts and published findings from within the industry, so it all becomes you didn't understand ... ooh ooh I meant this portion of LA etc etc... then when it still doesn't work out come insults... so drop the act and just be upfront about being bitter old guys. My grandpa was one too, and my stepfather is quickly on his way.... it's ok you know. Now that I see the VC crowd as Grumpy Old Men, they simply won't upset me anymore, the same way my grandad's tirades didn't get to me. New poll time? I have a new option.

HH please... I'm imploring you, step away from the Dark Side. We can't ALL be wrong all the time. It's statistically impossible.
Your words, TJ, about "ignoring facts and published findings from within the industry", appear to refer to our criticism of papers such as Pucher's. The subject of the discussion is the effect of bikeways. On that subject, there is nothing in Pucher's paper to either ignore or refute. Pucher provides neither facts nor reasoning that link bikeways to the other social conditions that he has listed. He has provided no such facts, and has provided no reason to believe that bikeways could have produced the other conditions that he has listed. The criticism by vehicular cyclists surrounding Pucher's paper (and all the others like it) is not of the paper itself, but of the way that bicycle advocates have taken to quoting Pucher's paper as support for their ideological position that bikeways ought to produce these effects, both in Europe and, if implemented here, in the US.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.