Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-13, 04:06 AM   #426
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how medieval.

Simply pre-car isn't enough, it must be 'medieval' so as to exclude New Amsterdam and Boston from consideration of cities laid out prior to the motorcar.

Such is the world of revisionist bicycling according to the 'road sneak' cyclists club founder.

Last edited by Bekologist; 04-03-13 at 04:11 AM.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 12:06 PM   #427
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
how medieval.

Simply pre-car isn't enough, it must be 'medieval' so as to exclude New Amsterdam and Boston from consideration of cities laid out prior to the motorcar.

Such is the world of revisionist bicycling according to the 'road sneak' cyclists club founder.
I did not say that medieval was the only required characteristic. The general categories are walking city, rail transit city, and automotive city. Medieval cities are walking cities.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 01:10 PM   #428
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
i've lived in NL and i am now in bogota.

as for geographic confusion? have you been to either?

doubt it.
*Swooosh*
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 01:30 PM   #429
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Forester View Post
History has a longer and more tangled reach than the simple explanation provided by Mr. Hagen. One of the causes for the Dutch attitude toward bicycle traffic goes back to the development of mass commuter transportation, which the Dutch missed. Another of the causes goes back to medieval times, for the medieval city patterns which enabled the Dutch to forgo mass commuter transportation. Another, and more recent, cause is the relatively late Dutch adoption of mass motoring.
The average commute in the Netherlands is only very slightly shorter than in the USA. Average commutes in the industrialized-developed parts of the world are rather similar.


Edit: I would have liked to be able to speak of "median" for "average", but I can't at present find the numbers. As I remember the median numbers, they're even closer.

Hey, one more edit: I just remembered this one http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com...-rate-for.html

I've posted it here before, of course. Of course.

Last edited by hagen2456; 04-03-13 at 05:42 PM.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 05:51 PM   #430
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
The average commute in the Netherlands is only very slightly shorter than in the USA. Average commutes in the industrialized-developed parts of the world are rather similar.


Edit: I would have liked to be able to speak of "median" for "average", but I can't at present find the numbers. As I remember the median numbers, they're even closer.

Hey, one more edit: I just remembered this one http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com...-rate-for.html

I've posted it here before, of course. Of course.
The item posted has no information about the commuting distance, and hence is irrelevant to the discussion.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 06:04 PM   #431
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Forester View Post
The item posted has no information about the commuting distance, and hence is irrelevant to the discussion.
Predictable. Yet, you spoke of all those medieval cities etc. etc. etc.

AND you don't even start to consider the fact of commuting distances. Verily, the emperor is naked.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 06:07 PM   #432
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
Predictable. Yet, you spoke of all those medieval cities etc. etc. etc.

AND you don't even start to consider the fact of commuting distances. Verily, the emperor is naked.
Sprawl: http://www.copenhagenize.com/
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 06:19 PM   #433
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
Ah, so you wanted the commuting distance numbers? Voilą:

Holland: http://www-sre.wu.ac.at/ersa/ersacon...papers/252.pdf
USA: http://askville.amazon.com/average-c...uestId=2554434

Commuting time, OECD: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...o-measure/307/
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 06:21 PM   #434
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
So, not really any sense in your claims about dramatical differences. Degrees, yes. But none that in themselves will explain the car dependence of countries like GB and the USA.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 07:30 PM   #435
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
I grew up in Amsterdam and I have now experienced biking in Baltimore for a while. I can tell you that the biggest difference in riding in both countries is not the infrastructure. Sure NL as many more dedicated bike lanes, but in the cities there are also plenty of spots where you have to deal with traffic in the regular lanes.

The biggest difference is in the heads of drivers. In NL there is simply no discussion on if bicycles have a place in traffic or not, and when a driver has to wait for a bicycle it does so with the same amount of patience as if it was a motorized vehicle that it has to wait for.
where as in colombia, a nation where cycling is rumored to be the national sport, the drivers couldn't give a ****.

granted, they don't give a **** about anything that is in their way, be it man, woman, or child.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 03:24 AM   #436
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
where as in colombia, a nation where cycling is rumored to be the national sport, the drivers couldn't give a ****.

granted, they don't give a **** about anything that is in their way, be it man, woman, or child.

*yawn* don't complain to us if you never go riding because of the traffic, dude!


A person is left wondering if this is this some of the impetus for the cycloruta network in Bogota, Nd? Unfortunately, despite claims of living there, i don't trust Botto will be able to objectively help us on identifying the nudges that led to facilitated bike network in Colombia either, unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bogota_cicloruta.jpg (29.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bogota bridge.jpg (7.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bogota ciclo.jpg (9.8 KB, 2 views)
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 09:54 AM   #437
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
*yawn* don't complain to us if you never go riding because of the traffic, dude!


A person is left wondering if this is this some of the impetus for the cycloruta network in Bogota, Nd? Unfortunately, despite claims of living there, i don't trust Botto will be able to objectively help us on identifying the nudges that led to facilitated bike network in Colombia either, unfortunately.
:yawn:

oh flabby, there you go with your read & regurgitate, read & regurgitate...
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:23 PM   #438
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Ah, so you wanted the commuting distance numbers? Voilą:

Holland: http://www-sre.wu.ac.at/ersa/ersacon...papers/252.pdf
USA: http://askville.amazon.com/average-c...uestId=2554434

Commuting time, OECD: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...o-measure/307/



Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
So, not really any sense in your claims about dramatical differences. Degrees, yes. But none that in themselves will explain the car dependence of countries like GB and the USA.
The American average is given as 16 miles one way. The average of the averages given in the Dutch article is 10 miles one way. I consider that this is a significant difference. However, these data are rather irrelevant to the discussion of why Amsterdam, in particular, has such a high proportion of bicycle traffic. The American reference states that it is a national average. The Dutch reference considers traffic patterns in very wide areas surrounding its named cities, which is rather more like the American pattern than typical of the traffic in the old urban core which is the subject of the admiration directed at the supposed Dutch bicycle traffic mode share. Therefore, it is no wonder that the calculated Dutch commuting distance is as great as 10 miles one way, a distance that I presume few Dutch commuting cyclists travel.

The admiration of the Dutch high bicycle traffic mode share is largely directed at the traffic pattern of the old urban core of the city of Amsterdam, an area whose nature provides a large proportion of short-distance trips.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 02:08 PM   #439
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Forester View Post
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Ah, so you wanted the commuting distance numbers? Voilą:

Holland: http://www-sre.wu.ac.at/ersa/ersacon...papers/252.pdf
USA: http://askville.amazon.com/average-c...uestId=2554434

Commuting time, OECD: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...o-measure/307/





The American average is given as 16 miles one way. The average of the averages given in the Dutch article is 10 miles one way. I consider that this is a significant difference. However, these data are rather irrelevant to the discussion of why Amsterdam, in particular, has such a high proportion of bicycle traffic. The American reference states that it is a national average. The Dutch reference considers traffic patterns in very wide areas surrounding its named cities, which is rather more like the American pattern than typical of the traffic in the old urban core which is the subject of the admiration directed at the supposed Dutch bicycle traffic mode share. Therefore, it is no wonder that the calculated Dutch commuting distance is as great as 10 miles one way, a distance that I presume few Dutch commuting cyclists travel.

The admiration of the Dutch high bicycle traffic mode share is largely directed at the traffic pattern of the old urban core of the city of Amsterdam, an area whose nature provides a large proportion of short-distance trips.
WHAAAAAT? 20.2 km = 10 miles? Get a grip, man!

Oh, and the Dutch cycle long-distance, too. Biking make up 15% of journeys between 7.5 and 15 km, and 2% of longer distances. To you and me, 15 km is nothing, but think about it: 15%! But we both know the reason, of course: Infrastructure.

http://www.hembrowcyclingholidays.com/articles.html
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 02:12 PM   #440
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
:yawn:

oh flabby, there you go with your read & regurgitate, read & regurgitate...
Do you have anything to add to the conversation apart from your sore attempts at humour?
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 02:41 PM   #441
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"In the less densely populated north and northeast areas, as much as 30-40% of trips are undertaken by bike...". From http://books.google.dk/books?id=mqUz...20oecd&f=false

So much for VC'ers' talk about density, biking and all that jazz.

Face it: The Dutch bike because it's convenient and safe. And it's convenient and safe because of the infrastructure.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 05:27 PM   #442
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
WHAAAAAT? 20.2 km = 10 miles? Get a grip, man!

Oh, and the Dutch cycle long-distance, too. Biking make up 15% of journeys between 7.5 and 15 km, and 2% of longer distances. To you and me, 15 km is nothing, but think about it: 15%! But we both know the reason, of course: Infrastructure.

http://www.hembrowcyclingholidays.com/articles.html
I never wrote what you claim I wrote: "WHAAAAAT? 20.2 km = 10 miles? Get a grip, man!" What I did write is given in the message of mine which you posted as a quotation: "The average of the averages given in the Dutch article is 10 miles one way." It is not my fault that your mind is bedazzled by your ideology.

As for your claim that present Dutch bikeways have caused the amount of longer-distance cycling that you state, to support that claim you will need to provide credible evidence that the Dutch cycled for only much shorter distances before their bikeway system was created. I suspect that you will have considerable difficulty in discovering such evidence.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 05:34 PM   #443
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
And it's convenient and safe because of the infrastructure.
Strict liability and traffic calming surely have nothing to do with convenience or safety.

spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 07:40 PM   #444
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
Do you have anything to add to the conversation apart from your sore attempts at humour?
Not attempting humor, illustrating a fact.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 02:57 AM   #445
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
Not attempting humor, illustrating a fact.

Yeah, but those facts are not about riding conditions in bogota, netherlands!

if a rider is that scared of traffic, no wonder the bitterness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
granted, they don't give a **** about anything that is in their way, be it man, woman, or child.

if you find drivers that bad in bogota, does this mean you like riding in Holland better?

Last edited by Bekologist; 04-05-13 at 03:03 AM.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 06:26 AM   #446
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
Yeah, but those facts are not about riding conditions in bogota, netherlands!

if a rider is that scared of traffic, no wonder the bitterness.




if you find drivers that bad in bogota, does this mean you like riding in Holland better?
You really have no clue.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 01:01 PM   #447
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Forester View Post
I never wrote what you claim I wrote: "WHAAAAAT? 20.2 km = 10 miles? Get a grip, man!" What I did write is given in the message of mine which you posted as a quotation: "The average of the averages given in the Dutch article is 10 miles one way." It is not my fault that your mind is bedazzled by your ideology.

As for your claim that present Dutch bikeways have caused the amount of longer-distance cycling that you state, to support that claim you will need to provide credible evidence that the Dutch cycled for only much shorter distances before their bikeway system was created. I suspect that you will have considerable difficulty in discovering such evidence.
Yeah. I knew it. One really has to spell out EVERYTHING when discussing with you.

Amsterdam is a rather large city. People tend to commute long distances in that region. Like, you know, an average of 20.2 km. And people DO bike a lot, too. Just sayin'.

I have no doubt that the Dutch also biked rather long distances in the past. Like people in most of the western world did. BUT they saw a huge decline in biking during the 60's. Only when bike infrastructure was being build, the trend reversed.

Same old, same old.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 01:03 PM   #448
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
Strict liability and traffic calming surely have nothing to do with convenience or safety.

Strict liability is an after-the-fact thing. And I doubt that it has very much to say in the context of mass biking. Traffic calming is mostly used in residential areas.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 01:13 PM   #449
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
Yeah, but those facts are not about riding conditions in bogota, netherlands!

if a rider is that scared of traffic, no wonder the bitterness.




if you find drivers that bad in bogota, does this mean you like riding in Holland better?
But we ALL know that biking in Holland is horrible. Slow, and then the hordes of mopeds terrorizing cyclists.
hagen2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 01:53 PM   #450
John Forester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
Yeah. I knew it. One really has to spell out EVERYTHING when discussing with you.

Amsterdam is a rather large city. People tend to commute long distances in that region. Like, you know, an average of 20.2 km. And people DO bike a lot, too. Just sayin'.

I have no doubt that the Dutch also biked rather long distances in the past. Like people in most of the western world did. BUT they saw a huge decline in biking during the 60's. Only when bike infrastructure was being build, the trend reversed.

Same old, same old.
I repeat the argument that I have been making for a long time. The Dutch cycled a lot because their situation was such that walking and cycling were very useful and suited their low income relative to other European nations. Sure, the arrival of mass motoring reduced the amount of cycling, but, in the older areas the characteristics that suited cycling still existed. That enabled the Dutch to return to much of their historical cycling pattern.

Consider the American contrast. America never had a cycling society during the automotive era; membership in the League of American Wheelmen collapsed in 1898. The urban development since then, shall we say during all of the era of American economic power, was based on either the existing rail transit or the newer automotive pattern.
John Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.