Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.bikeforums.net/western-canada/)
-   -   The Vancouver Thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/western-canada/227541-vancouver-thread.html)

closetbiker 05-31-11 08:59 PM

Sounds like the shop was being more than reasonable.

I know their explanation of the situation was far more articulate and understandable.

miro13car 06-01-11 12:32 PM

" all kind of unforeseen"???
I never got any email informing me about increased price , that is not true.
You know my tel number ,vey well.
What you are saying is that you guarantee price on invoice for 30 days.
The fact is plain and simple - you increased price which you put on invoice when customer showed up in your shop to pick up order, customer expected to pay that amount.
You try to justify ...

there are at least 2 people here who agree that you breached contract of invoice - invoice is a contract you see. No matter what cicumstances, if I drove or walk .
BOTTOM LINE : I did not expect no way in the world to pay more than on invoice.
BOTTOM LINE: I put 500 dollars deposit.
Now you have a business which accept deposit and when customer come to pick up what he ordered business increases price.
Leave other details out
CMC

closetbiker 06-01-11 01:44 PM

Want to know what the real bottom line is?

You can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Sad fact.

the mwb 06-01-11 02:17 PM

jeez this jv thing has seeped through into here too? wow that guy is really mad!!

rukawa 06-06-11 02:13 AM

I am glad
 
I'm glad that I have not unsubscribed from this thread a few days ago.

I read JV's reply and I find it to be very logical and I do believe they did what they could to keep the customer happy, short of just absorbing the price difference had the owner of the business returned in time.

I am a customer and I don't think I am God. JV has displayed enough maturity so far for me to be a future customer. While the customer raging on forum is something I do not like. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion.

Trikin' 06-22-11 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
JVBike has been an excellent parts and knowledge base. The crew at JVB helped this obvious noob with the expertise and patience required to help me build my pusher trailer.
And recently I had a problem with my Cycle Analyst cutting out, a connector in the batt separated, turns out it was still under warranty....No charge
I would recommend JVBike for all your E-Bike needs

miro13car 06-27-11 07:28 AM

rukawa,
They do what they can to keep customer happy?
are you for real
EXCEPT they increased price stated on invoice!!
It is for you normal business practice to increase amount on invoice before 30 days even if customer put 500 dollars down on purchase which is stated black on white on paper invoice??
If I should have this, if I should have that....
You do not do it if your are solid business in bicycles or in other ...That's 50 dollars we are talking about.
Absorb it as a business , you don't have enough revenue for that?? at such a prime location in Vancouver?

operator 06-29-11 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miro13car (Post 12845344)
rukawa,
They do what they can to keep customer happy?
are you for real
EXCEPT they increased price stated on invoice!!
It is for you normal business practice to increase amount on invoice before 30 days even if customer put 500 dollars down on purchase which is stated black on white on paper invoice??
If I should have this, if I should have that....
You do not do it if your are solid business in bicycles or in other ...That's 50 dollars we are talking about.
Absorb it as a business , you don't have enough revenue for that?? at such a prime location in Vancouver?

With the way you type english on an internet forum, your credibility is slowly sinking.

Rhodabike 07-03-11 08:17 AM

I just spent a week in Vancouver and I'm blown away by all the bike lanes and bike routes everywhere. I'm really impressed. I've never been to any other city where the planners make it so easy to get around by bike.

closetbiker 07-03-11 09:20 AM

The city has made getting around by bike a priority but has fallen short of it's goal of a 10% of all trips by bicycle by 2010.

Vancouver has only about 4% of trips taken by bicycle but with the new segregated lanes downtown and a public bike share system to be implemented within a year, council is hopeful.

Its speculated that one of the reasons Vancouver hasn't yet reached this 10% goal is the provincial, all ages helmet law. The city supports it, and will not even seek an exemption from it for the PBS despite the experiences of the only PBS systems in the world that require helmet use.

The world will watch to see if Vancouver falls in step with Melbourne, or Montreal.

yarb 07-03-11 10:01 PM

Yes, Vancouver has good cycling infrastructure.

I'm dreading the PBS with mandatory helmet mix. The last thing we need is for the Vancouver PBS to fail and be ridiculed as a result of the helmet law.

Closetbiker, are you aware of any jurisdictions that have actually repealed helmet laws? Always with laws, it's easier to make them than abolish them.

closetbiker 07-03-11 10:28 PM

Mexico City did. They did so for their PBS. I've heard Israel was going to, but don't know if they actually have done it yet.

I think Vancouver's PBS will underperform, but the authorities who are responsible for the helmet law won't admit it. If Vancouver's performance doesn't match Montreal's or Toronto's they'll say it won't be the law that's causing it, it'll be some other reason, any other reason than the helmet requirement.

I doubt very much the law will be repealed, or the PBS be granted an exemption because supporters of the law have wrapped up too much of their credibility in it to admit the law has been an impediment to cycling.

trustnoone 07-04-11 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarb (Post 12876690)
Always with laws, it's easier to make them than abolish them.

The solution is easy then. Make a mandatory helmet law for all people in all public spaces. Once everyone is wearing a helmet all the time there will be no reason to not ride a bike. In fact, such a law would probably take trips by bicycle into the 95% range as it would be the only way to not look and feel like a dork.

closetbiker 07-04-11 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarb (Post 12876690)
... Closetbiker, are you aware of any jurisdictions that have actually repealed helmet laws? .

I forgot that Austin, Texas repealed theirs and the Northern Territory in Australia provided an exemption for cyclists not using a roadway.

I think their may be a couple of other, small jurisdictions (like Seymour, Connecticut who overturned their law in a referendum) but not too many. It is, as you say, much harder to revoke a law than pass one.

DPV 07-07-11 03:50 PM

Hey guys/girls,

Just wanted to say hey and introduce myself - I'm a recently converted bike commuter from North Van to Downtown core. Right now I'm riding a beat up no name mountain bike with front suspension, but hopefully within the next month I'll be getting a new road bike as I want to get into racing and as my route is well-paved etc. Anyway, hit me up if you wanna ride around this beautiful city!

CarbonSisyphus 08-05-11 02:38 PM

Hello hello. I've just moved back to Vancouver (where I grew up) after spending a while in Toronto. I love this city and biking in it is a pleasure - whether it's grinding up a North Shore mountain or taking a spin from downtown out to Iona Beach or whatever else. I'm looking to ride with other enthusiastic people - what can the thread inhabitants tell me about clubs or regularly attended group rides in the city? I know that various LBS tend to hold them but my knowledge of the city still needs brushing up a bit.

EChing 08-05-11 02:44 PM

Check the Vancouver Bicycle Meetup Group. Wide variety of rides that go to many different places. No-drop rides.

mikemowbz 09-19-11 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by closetbiker (Post 12876757)
Mexico City did. They did so for their PBS. I've heard Israel was going to, but don't know if they actually have done it yet.

I think Vancouver's PBS will underperform, but the authorities who are responsible for the helmet law won't admit it. If Vancouver's performance doesn't match Montreal's or Toronto's they'll say it won't be the law that's causing it, it'll be some other reason, any other reason than the helmet requirement.

I doubt very much the law will be repealed, or the PBS be granted an exemption because supporters of the law have wrapped up too much of their credibility in it to admit the law has been an impediment to cycling.

That said, there are more than a few laws on the books that are only selectively enforced...I can think of at least one that gives this city a moniker indicating affinities with a certain low-lying European one. It will be interesting to see how all concerned choose to conduct themselves under these circumstances. Will users flock en masse without regard for the helmet law? I suspect you might be quite right that the system will underperform on the basis of uncertainty.

But if they do, does the VPD respond with any serious attempt at enforcement, just stick with their current haphazard method (generally can't be bothered, but if bored or annoyed...), or take into consideration that simple discretion would indicate that there's no gain in doing anything more than shrugging in a situation in which the rider could hardly be reasonably expected to have a handy helmet in her/his wallet or purse? I really don't know, but it'll be something to see.

On a related note, I for one welcome the flocks of novice or out-of-practice riders weaving the new ungainly hulks across the much-ballyhooed bike lanes at low speed - my experience of the Bixi program in Montreal since its inception. Don't get me wrong - this is one of those unhappy paradoxes, a dark side to something with myriad obvious advantages. It's just a simple fact that if a lone rider (or worse, a pair) is singlehandedly padding several minutes onto dozens of others' morning commute on the bike path on Ontario Street in Montreal, you can bet you brifters that they're on a Bixi.

p.s. relatively new to BF, just really picking up here as I try to figure out some specs, do's and don'ts as I try to put a really nice 80s-and-after road bike up on two wheels. Just discovered this regional forum - and its Vancouver streak. Cheers!

closetbiker 09-20-11 08:15 AM

I suspect the VPD will do as they have done after the BSB and Hornby lanes opened (not sure if they did this along Dunsmuir), that is set up some traps to ticket the helmetless.

If the ticketed decide to stop riding because of the risk of getting another fine, the hoped for increase in ridership will fail to materialize and the city will be stuck with a White Elephant (as has happened in Aukland, Melbourne, and Brisbane).

yarb 09-22-11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemowbz (Post 13250853)
I for one welcome the flocks of novice or out-of-practice riders weaving the new ungainly hulks across the much-ballyhooed bike lanes at low speed - my experience of the Bixi program in Montreal since its inception. Don't get me wrong - this is one of those unhappy paradoxes, a dark side to something with myriad obvious advantages. It's just a simple fact that if a lone rider (or worse, a pair) is singlehandedly padding several minutes onto dozens of others' morning commute on the bike path on Ontario Street in Montreal, you can bet you brifters that they're on a Bixi.

Totally agree - I love seeing new cyclists on the road. Gives me hope. Just hope the really awkward-looking ones stick with it!

Watchdog 10-10-11 12:03 AM

Seems odd that someone would drive all the way from Calgary to pick up a bike and with all the other points raised by the bike shop would be concerned about a $50 difference. Having said that, an extra $50 for longer cables? Sounds like a lot to me.

CrescentWrench 06-03-12 06:21 PM

hmmm this thread is dead.
I'm live in Gastown.

schoi604 08-13-12 01:46 AM

Hi guys,
East Van by 29th Station

lhbernhardt 12-18-12 02:53 PM

First commute on this season's fresh snow (Dec 18) - about five cm in Burnaby high ground, tapering to slush on the Lougheed, and then just wet roads in Vancouver. But I was amazed at the number of tire tracks on the CVG at 7:30 am, about a dozen in each direction. Usually on a snowy morning I only see one or two tire tracks before my own. Could be that a lot of them are starting in Vancouver, where it's merely raining, and then finding out when they get to Burnaby that it has turned to snow, but it's too late to turn back.

But the snow is still soft enough that you can recover from the bike going a bit loose. But I am not looking forward to tonite's snowfall warning.

Luis

hyperloop 12-20-12 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt (Post 15064295)
First commute on this season's fresh snow (Dec 18) - about five cm in Burnaby high ground, tapering to slush on the Lougheed, and then just wet roads in Vancouver. But I was amazed at the number of tire tracks on the CVG at 7:30 am, about a dozen in each direction. Usually on a snowy morning I only see one or two tire tracks before my own. Could be that a lot of them are starting in Vancouver, where it's merely raining, and then finding out when they get to Burnaby that it has turned to snow, but it's too late to turn back.

But the snow is still soft enough that you can recover from the bike going a bit loose. But I am not looking forward to tonite's snowfall warning.

Luis

Can't wait to get back to Vancouver this saturday :), I heard it has been snowing very heavy these days.. UBC SFU, even port mann bridge was closed... hopefully the snow will die down over the week.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.