Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 178
  1. #151
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike fittings in Vancouver?
    No replies since December 2012? Everyone must be out on their bike.

    I just picked up a Marinoni Special on craigslist out of Victoria. The frame is maybe a cm bigger than ideal (58 instead of 57), and it was set up for someone 3 inches taller than me, so I figure I should invest in a fitting. At the very least, I expect I'll need to replace the 115 mm stem with an 80 or 90.

    Anyone have any experiences or recommendations with bike fitters in Vancouver? The three I'm considering right now are Mighty Riders at ~$70, the advanced MEC fitting at $120, and La Bicicletta at $185. As far as my riding style, I'd like to get into weekend group rides, and maybe work my way up to a Fondo. (Group ride recommendations also welcome.)

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    My Bikes
    Balthorium G
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alandry View Post
    Bike fittings in Vancouver?
    No replies since December 2012? Everyone must be out on their bike.

    I just picked up a Marinoni Special on craigslist out of Victoria. The frame is maybe a cm bigger than ideal (58 instead of 57), and it was set up for someone 3 inches taller than me, so I figure I should invest in a fitting. At the very least, I expect I'll need to replace the 115 mm stem with an 80 or 90.

    Anyone have any experiences or recommendations with bike fitters in Vancouver? The three I'm considering right now are Mighty Riders at ~$70, the advanced MEC fitting at $120, and La Bicicletta at $185. As far as my riding style, I'd like to get into weekend group rides, and maybe work my way up to a Fondo. (Group ride recommendations also welcome.)
    I think the riders in Van are just too shy to say anything. I can't recommend any bike shops or group rides in town..... but if you decide to head towards Maple Ridge....
    I have a Marinoni Special that I bought almost 30 years ago. I keep it for special events like weddings, funerals, royal visits. Very pleasant bike to ride.

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South Surrey, B.C
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro,Easy Racer Gold Rush, Norco
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone to Tyler Dumont at Physiomoves( a physiotherapy clinic) at 56 ave and 152 St
    My friend who is an avid long distance cyclist goes to Wentings in Mission for his fittings

  4. #154
    Senior Member timvan_78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Kona Zing, CAAD8, Norco BushPilot, Stolen Heater BMX, Norco Evolution Tandem, kid Redline Pitboss BMX & kid Strider snow bike, kid Strider balance bike
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironworkers Bridge Sidewalks to be widened! about time.

    Work is going to happen THIS SUMMER! (in theory)

    I hope that they do them one at a time.

    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Iro...088/story.html

  5. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    My Bikes
    Balthorium G
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timvan_78 View Post
    Ironworkers Bridge Sidewalks to be widened! about time.

    Work is going to happen THIS SUMMER! (in theory)

    I hope that they do them one at a time.

    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Iro...088/story.html
    Perhaps this is an election ploy.

  6. #156
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,

    I am brand new in the city, coming from France! It's amazing how many bikers are riding in Vancouver. And the city is pretty cool makes me want to have my bike. Does anyone know a good plan for affordable, second hand, racing machine here around ?
    Also I used to ride a lot in Paris, and as long as I am here looking for a job I was wondering if it is hard to become bike messenger in Vancouver? I have heard about this bike courier licence test, does anyone know how hard is that ? How is the job market at the moment ?

    Thankx

  7. #157
    Senior Member edotomato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    High Wycombe, England
    My Bikes
    Miyata 1200, '88 Model
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio_BD View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am brand new in the city, coming from France! It's amazing how many bikers are riding in Vancouver. And the city is pretty cool makes me want to have my bike. Does anyone know a good plan for affordable, second hand, racing machine here around ?
    Also I used to ride a lot in Paris, and as long as I am here looking for a job I was wondering if it is hard to become bike messenger in Vancouver? I have heard about this bike courier licence test, does anyone know how hard is that ? How is the job market at the moment ?

    Thankx
    Just moved from the UK - similar boat! Second hand bikes aren't cheap like they are back in Europe, ey? Not too much Italian steel up for grabs.

  8. #158
    Senior Member CrescentWrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edotomato View Post
    Just moved from the UK - similar boat! Second hand bikes aren't cheap like they are back in Europe, ey? Not too much Italian steel up for grabs.
    Send me a PM. I have about 10 old skool racing bikes.

  9. #159
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    09' Kona Jake
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo, I'm in kits... 09 Kona Jake with a carbon fork...
    keep an eye out for me til I buy a helmet ok?

  10. #160
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd check back in over here. Haven't had the fitting done yet, though some friends of mine had fittings at West 4th physio and seem pretty happy with the service. The downside is stem changes are referred to a shop rather than effected right away.

    On the group ride front, I've done a few of La Bicicletta's Tuesday nighters in Stanley Park, and a couple of their Saturday rides (the ones I joined went out towards Horseshoe Bay along Marine, then up Cypress via the Upper Levels). Nice friendly rides. The Tuesday one in particular is good to get comfortable with group riding. Info here: http://labiciclettaproshop.com/artic...rides-pg72.htm

    Sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch (for a free event). I'm in no way associated with the shop.

  11. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in New West. Been cycling to work in Kits since first week of June. Started at 2x return trips a week, now pushing into 3, 4, and hopefully 5 return trips a week

  12. #162
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroG33r View Post
    I'm in New West. Been cycling to work in Kits since first week of June. Started at 2x return trips a week, now pushing into 3, 4, and hopefully 5 return trips a week
    Way to go! That's a nice ride. How long does that take ya? That route do You take??

  13. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus.girl View Post
    Way to go! That's a nice ride. How long does that take ya? That route do You take??
    Thanks!

    I'm down to ~58 min consistently from New West to Kits, and about 1h02 to 1h05 coming back (partially due to a net elevation gain, partially due to being tired after riding in in the morning).

    I'm on the BC Parkway following the Skytrain most of the way. Various side streets/greenways through New West depending on lights/traffic, and generally along 13th/10th Avenue between Trout Lake and Kits.

    You ride much in the area?

  14. #164
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL that is random that I've replied to both your posts!
    my husband and I started mountain biking last year. We enjoy it and purchased cx bikes this year.
    I have been doing casual , leisurely rides so far but do plan riding to work soon.

    I think I, going to swap tires pretty soon. I have 32s on my bike now and I'm hoping if I swap to skinnier like a 28 ill find a difference.

  15. #165
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alandry View Post
    Bike fittings in Vancouver?
    No replies since December 2012? Everyone must be out on their bike.

    I just picked up a Marinoni Special on craigslist out of Victoria. The frame is maybe a cm bigger than ideal (58 instead of 57), and it was set up for someone 3 inches taller than me, so I figure I should invest in a fitting. At the very least, I expect I'll need to replace the 115 mm stem with an 80 or 90.

    Anyone have any experiences or recommendations with bike fitters in Vancouver? The three I'm considering right now are Mighty Riders at ~$70, the advanced MEC fitting at $120, and La Bicicletta at $185. As far as my riding style, I'd like to get into weekend group rides, and maybe work my way up to a Fondo. (Group ride recommendations also welcome.)
    Speak with John at Pacific Multisport about a fitting - pacificmulti@telus.net . He has been recommended by some local builders as a top fitter.

  16. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus.girl View Post
    LOL that is random that I've replied to both your posts!
    my husband and I started mountain biking last year. We enjoy it and purchased cx bikes this year.
    I have been doing casual , leisurely rides so far but do plan riding to work soon.

    I think I, going to swap tires pretty soon. I have 32s on my bike now and I'm hoping if I swap to skinnier like a 28 ill find a difference.
    Aweome - how long will your commute be? I started by riding in Mondays, home Tuesdays, then in Thurs and home Fri. Gave me some recovery time in between. Now I'm aiming for both ways every day unless something else comes up. Feels great :-)

    im riding 23s; big difference from the 35s on the hybrid I was riding to start the season! May switch back to beefier tires for the fall though. Still trying to figure out what I will need in the rain.

    If you guys want to explore some rides around town, my wife and I are looking to do some more recreational riding too. She doesn't have the option of riding to work as I do - daycare dropoffs and she has no showers at work either :-) PM me if you want to set up a ride or something. Been meaning to try the Central Valley Greenway or possibly do some country riding out in Ladner.

  17. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alandry View Post
    Thought I'd check back in over here. Haven't had the fitting done yet, though some friends of mine had fittings at West 4th physio and seem pretty happy with the service. The downside is stem changes are referred to a shop rather than effected right away.

    On the group ride front, I've done a few of La Bicicletta's Tuesday nighters in Stanley Park, and a couple of their Saturday rides (the ones I joined went out towards Horseshoe Bay along Marine, then up Cypress via the Upper Levels). Nice friendly rides. The Tuesday one in particular is good to get comfortable with group riding. Info here: http://labiciclettaproshop.com/artic...rides-pg72.htm

    Sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch (for a free event). I'm in no way associated with the shop.
    I did a pro fitting with Andrew at West Point Multisport on 10th and Alma. Check out this thread:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hysiotherapist

  18. #168
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Early morning Saturday rides

    I ride Saturday mornings, starting at ~7:30am from kits. I have been looking for a group to ride with, but they all start later, 9-10am, and that is too late for me, as I try to be back home at 11-11:30 tops.
    Does anyone know of an early group ride around? I consider myself a beginner, and I usually ride 50-70Km.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.

  19. #169
    Senior Member CrescentWrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edotomato View Post
    Just moved from the UK - similar boat! Second hand bikes aren't cheap like they are back in Europe, ey? Not too much Italian steel up for grabs.
    I got you PM ed but I dont have enough posts to reply!!!

  20. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosan View Post
    I ride Saturday mornings, starting at ~7:30am from kits. I have been looking for a group to ride with, but they all start later, 9-10am, and that is too late for me, as I try to be back home at 11-11:30 tops.
    Does anyone know of an early group ride around? I consider myself a beginner, and I usually ride 50-70Km.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Have you checked in with the guys at the local bike shops? Ask at Dizzy Cycle on 4th & Cypress or West Point Cycles on 10th & Alma?

  21. #171
    Senior Member timvan_78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Kona Zing, CAAD8, Norco BushPilot, Stolen Heater BMX, Norco Evolution Tandem, kid Redline Pitboss BMX & kid Strider snow bike, kid Strider balance bike
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroG33r View Post
    Have you checked in with the guys at the local bike shops? Ask at Dizzy Cycle on 4th & Cypress or West Point Cycles on 10th & Alma?
    ...or Comor (4th and Burrard) or Reckless (2nd and fir) all right close by. I ride sometimes Sat early (7AM) from Kits, but not with any reliable regularity (it's hit and miss).

    Try a few laps of stanley park and you will find others. Or hit up Musette Cafe on Hornby near Drake as you leave the house. There will be others.

  22. #172
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Dr. Dew commuter & Diamondback Trace grocery getter
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone herd anything about the upgrades?

    I took the time to email the honourable Naomi Yamamoto (naomi.yamamoto.mla@leg.bc.ca) a few weeks ago and got zero response.


    Quote Originally Posted by timvan_78 View Post
    Ironworkers Bridge Sidewalks to be widened! about time.

    Work is going to happen THIS SUMMER! (in theory)

    I hope that they do them one at a time.

    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Iro...088/story.html

  23. #173
    Senior Member jhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My Bikes
    Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help!

    I'm (possibly, probably) going to be looking for a place to stay in Vancouver (or at least BC) for the duration of winter next year...

    I'm not sure how to go about it in terms of finding a temporary residence... Can anyone help?

    I'll be cycling from New Brunswick, hopefully arriving by kinda September-ish... Anyone got any ideas? Or does anyone know the best way (aside from flying - way, way too expensive for me), that I can get back to NB by Christmas?

    Cheers,

    Jack.

  24. #174
    Senior Member CrescentWrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawk View Post
    Help!

    I'm (possibly, probably) going to be looking for a place to stay in Vancouver (or at least BC) for the duration of winter next year...

    I'm not sure how to go about it in terms of finding a temporary residence... Can anyone help?

    I'll be cycling from New Brunswick, hopefully arriving by kinda September-ish... Anyone got any ideas? Or does anyone know the best way (aside from flying - way, way too expensive for me), that I can get back to NB by Christmas?

    Cheers,

    Jack.
    Cheapest way is probably going to be hitchhiking, but I am not sure if anyone does that anymore. Doesn't craigslist have a looking for rides section?

  25. #175
    Senior Member jhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My Bikes
    Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, CW.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I've decided to put off my Cross-Canada tour till 2015. And plans may change about coming home - I may decide to head off from Vancouver and go South to either Rio or Ushaia, Argentina.

    I had the idea to start a RTW Tour after my Cross-Canada, not sure if that plan will come to fruition!
    My cycle-touring website: http://jackonabike.ca/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •